Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default GFS VEH neck- what a pickup!!!

I have only run it through the Pod, and I am blown away!!! I was warned that it was a hot pickup, and they're right. One would think my mind was cream crackers if I told them I got one cool pickup for $37 USD!!! But I am telling you what- it is worth every penny and then some!!! We can't let the secret out or this GFS guy will start charging what they are really worth!!!

If the pup route in Jamie were a bit shallower, I would definitely back her off a bit more from the strings, but the fact that I have a quite ballsy neck pickup is going to change my playing!!!

If you are looking for something a little different from a neck pick up, this is the way to go. Heck, I would even use this as a bridge pickup, and I may just do that when I build another guitar.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

Told you.

When I got the VEH set installed, I thought the bridge pickup was okay. I, of course, expected it to sound sort of like a Custom Custom, or a Tone Zone. It didn't sound like either. It doesn't sound bad, but it's not a typical EVH sounding pickup as it is advertised. All in all, I thought the bridge pickup was a good bargain for the price.

The neck pickup, however, blew me away. Maybe because I wasn't comparing it against my idea of what it should sound like. Anyway, I was extremely impressed with the tone, and the output. I thought the neck pickup would be a good bargain at custom shop prices.

It's tough to say what bridge pickup I would use it with, as opposed to the GFS VEH, because the two compliment each other so well. The first combination I would try is a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, and the GFS in the neck.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Told you.

When I got the VEH set installed, I thought the bridge pickup was okay. I, of course, expected it to sound sort of like a Custom Custom, or a Tone Zone. It didn't sound like either. It doesn't sound bad, but it's not a typical EVH sounding pickup as it is advertised. All in all, I thought the bridge pickup was a good bargain for the price.

The neck pickup, however, blew me away. Maybe because I wasn't comparing it against my idea of what it should sound like. Anyway, I was extremely impressed with the tone, and the output. I thought the neck pickup would be a good bargain at custom shop prices.

It's tough to say what bridge pickup I would use it with, as opposed to the GFS VEH, because the two compliment each other so well. The first combination I would try is a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, and the GFS in the neck.
    Glad to hear you had a great experience with the neck P/U. The JB would probably be a good fit. You pretty much know what you're getting with it. Buying new pickups can be such a crap shoot. You got this ideal sound in your head, you do all the research. Get advice from other players. You drop your hard earned money then end up not happy and feel ripped off. I've been lucky as of late though. In my SG I put a 57' Classic in the neck, and a SD-59' in the bridge. Very versatile combo. Less gain than I'm used too in the bridge, but you get more definition. In my Strat I put a Dimarzio Area 51 in the neck and an Area 61 in the bridge. Those are amazing! Dead quiet.... I mean zero noise. You would swear their actives but their not. Sound dead on Strat classic tone.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Otis isn't gonna like it when I say this...

I had a Tone Zone/Air Norton set in one of my parts-Wolfs... I just broke it back down to parts to sell (need the cashola right now), so I instead installed the TZ/AN pups in another Wolfgang Special. I had that guitar out with me today and played it through several amps. I simply don't like the Air Norton much, and the Tone Zone doesn't really do it for me; there are other pickups I like better than those for their respective positions. And here's the kicker: I like the GFS VEH pups a LOT more than the TZ/AN pups--realized that just today. GFS did damn well with those pickups.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Otis isn't gonna like it when I say this...

I had a Tone Zone/Air Norton set in one of my parts-Wolfs... I just broke it back down to parts to sell (need the cashola right now), so I instead installed the TZ/AN pups in another Wolfgang Special. I had that guitar out with me today and played it through several amps. I simply don't like the Air Norton much, and the Tone Zone doesn't really do it for me; there are other pickups I like better than those for their respective positions. And here's the kicker: I like the GFS VEH pups a LOT more than the TZ/AN pups--realized that just today. GFS did damn well with those pickups.
    I see what you're saying, but I gotta ask -- have you tried the Tone Zone in a basswood guitar WITH a maple cap? I've had Tone Zones in a few different guitars, and the only guitar I have heard where it really shined was one with that wood combo. I was also fairly happy with the Tone Zone in a REALLY light all basswood guitar, but it was lacking something.

Now, I did have one in an ultra heavy and naturally dark sounding guitar... that was a disaster. Sounded like a completely different pickup.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I see what you're saying, but I gotta ask -- have you tried the Tone Zone in a basswood guitar WITH a maple cap? I've had Tone Zones in a few different guitars, and the only guitar I have heard where it really shined was one with that wood combo. I was also fairly happy with the Tone Zone in a REALLY light all basswood guitar, but it was lacking something.

Now, I did have one in an ultra heavy and naturally dark sounding guitar... that was a disaster. Sounded like a completely different pickup.
    The Tone Zone is a great pickup, and I liked it in both the solid basswood Wolfgang Special I previously had it in and the basswood/maple top Wolfgang Special I have it in now. It doesn't have the "wow" factor for me, though; I like the stock Wolf bridge pup much better. And the Air Norton is another good sounding pickup that is kind of underwhelming in the neck position for my tastes. It's very clean but also very thin, and it doesn't quite have the roundness I like from a neck pup.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post

Tone Zone in a 335 is probably my FAVOURITE sound, and DiMarzio does NOT recommend it in the least. Maybe it was because I had it covered, as well (pup was YELLOW- doesn't look good on tobacco sunburst).

Here's one that plain doesn't work in basswood- DiMarzio Super Distortion. I just hated the sound!!! Super D works good in heavy wood guitars, I have found.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

I had a Custom Custom in a Mexican Ash-bodied Strat that I played for awhile. When I went to trade it in, I took the Custom Custom out, and put in an old Super Distortion I had laying around. I was completely shocked when I found that I actually liked the Super Distortion better than the Custom Custom in that guitar.

I've always said that DiMarzios are pretty tempremental about the kind of wood the guitar is made of. What I learned from this is to never get rid of a DiMarzio because it doesn't sound good in your guitar, because it may sound great in a guitar you get in the future.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    Tone Zone in a 335 is probably my FAVOURITE sound, and DiMarzio does NOT recommend it in the least. Maybe it was because I had it covered, as well (pup was YELLOW- doesn't look good on tobacco sunburst).

Here's one that plain doesn't work in basswood- DiMarzio Super Distortion. I just hated the sound!!! Super D works good in heavy wood guitars, I have found.
    I bought a Wolfgang years ago that had the Super Distortion in both positions. The guy was including the original pickups, so I figured I would just swap them out again. However... I liked the sound of the Super Distortion pups CLEAN so much, I instead did a coil tap on them and basically designated that Wolf as my "alternate clean tones" guitar. Dirty, bleh! But clean... very bright and chimey.

Let's rename this the "pickups where and how they weren't intended" thread.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ran the VEH through the Boobtone, and DAYAM!!!! I hope Geetar Steevie plays it in one of his youtube videos. Go to youtube under the name of boobtone and see the videos.