Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Soundgarden

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Soundgarden Inadvertently Reunites At Area Cinnabon

SEATTLE—Members of the popular 1990s grunge band Soundgarden shocked critics and fans alike Tuesday, appearing together publicly for the first time in more than a decade after accidentally running into one another at the Northgate Mall Cinnabon.

The unplanned 15-minute reunion was the result of a number of unrelated events, including lead singer Chris Cornell stopping by the baked-goods franchise to buy a Caramel Pecanbon, drummer Matt Cameron taking a break from shopping at the nearby Banana Republic, bass player Ben Shepherd walking by and noticing his one-time bandmates in the food court, and former guitarist and Cinnabon daytime supervisor Kim Thayil working the 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. shift.

According to those in attendance at the packed fast-food venue, the highlight of the incidental Soundgarden reunion came when the rockers reconciled their differences and teamed up for the first time in years to finish off an order of Cinnabon Stix.

"At first it was pretty awkward and none of them seemed like they were really into it," said Al Helbling, 30, a Northgate Mall Sam Goody employee and Soundgarden fan. "But then the drummer comes in and right after that the bass player comes in, and it was like, 'Yes, Soundgarden is back.' It was so intense."

The former members of Soundgarden, who have not released an album together since 1996's Down On The Upside, reported that it was initially difficult to find common ground, but once they began exchanging ideas and riffing on which sugar-filled dessert they were going to order, the chemistry felt "as strong as ever."

While Shepherd told reporters he enjoyed seeing his old bandmates, he admitted to experiencing some last-minute doubts about going through with the encounter.

"I got all the way there, but then I just didn't know if I could do it," Shepherd said. "I had a huge lunch that day. And Cinnabon, that's some really sugary stuff, even if you have a sweet tooth like me."

Thayil, who joined the band shortly after it was formed in 1984, said some tension arose between himself and former front man Chris Cornell early on in the reunion, after Thayil scolded Cornell for entering the cinnamon-bun snack purveyor without a shirt.

"Honestly, I didn't even recognize Chris at first," Thayil said. "All I saw was this bare-chested guy entering the store, and that's unacceptable in the food-service industry. I hate to be the enforcer, but just because we were in a band together doesn't mean I can allow him to create an unhygienic environment."

The heated situation was quickly settled, however, when Thayil offered Cornell a complimentary 12-oz. CarmeLatta Chill. In turn, the 44-year-old lead singer responded by serenading Thayil with a version of the group's hit song "Black Hole Sun" in which he replaced the titular phrase with the word "Cinnabon." Cornell, former singer for the now-defunct group Audioslave, then stuffed his pockets with napkins, saying he needed them for a later solo project.

The two soon moved to a back table, where they joined Shepherd and drummer Matt Cameron, the latter of whom said he was overjoyed to see his old bandmates, since he had to "kill some time" before Pearl Jam practice.

Although Tuesday marked the first time the group has fully reunited, the members of Soundgarden have had a few near-misses in the past 10 years. In August 2000, all four members were seen entering Seattle-area Arby's restaurants, but the reunion never materialized: Cornell and Cameron visited the Meridian Avenue location, while Thayil and Shepherd decided to visit the Michigan Street franchise. The afternoon did, however, mark the largest Temple of the Dog reunion to date, when Cornell and Cameron ran into the rest of the supergroup's members in the restroom.

After the success of the Cinnabon reunion, Soundgarden is reportedly planning a tour of the Sunglass Hut and Piercing Pagoda.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Dave - WACF, Sam - FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight, Dream is Over
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 09:23 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Soundgarden Inadvertently Reunites At Area Cinnabon

SEATTLE—Members of the popular 1990s grunge band Soundgarden shocked critics and fans alike Tuesday, appearing together publicly for the first time in more than a decade after accidentally running into one another at the Northgate Mall Cinnabon.

The unplanned 15-minute reunion was the result of a number of unrelated events, including lead singer Chris Cornell stopping by the baked-goods franchise to buy a Caramel Pecanbon, drummer Matt Cameron taking a break from shopping at the nearby Banana Republic, bass player Ben Shepherd walking by and noticing his one-time bandmates in the food court, and former guitarist and Cinnabon daytime supervisor Kim Thayil working the 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. shift.

According to those in attendance at the packed fast-food venue, the highlight of the incidental Soundgarden reunion came when the rockers reconciled their differences and teamed up for the first time in years to finish off an order of Cinnabon Stix.

"At first it was pretty awkward and none of them seemed like they were really into it," said Al Helbling, 30, a Northgate Mall Sam Goody employee and Soundgarden fan. "But then the drummer comes in and right after that the bass player comes in, and it was like, 'Yes, Soundgarden is back.' It was so intense."

The former members of Soundgarden, who have not released an album together since 1996's Down On The Upside, reported that it was initially difficult to find common ground, but once they began exchanging ideas and riffing on which sugar-filled dessert they were going to order, the chemistry felt "as strong as ever."

While Shepherd told reporters he enjoyed seeing his old bandmates, he admitted to experiencing some last-minute doubts about going through with the encounter.

"I got all the way there, but then I just didn't know if I could do it," Shepherd said. "I had a huge lunch that day. And Cinnabon, that's some really sugary stuff, even if you have a sweet tooth like me."

Thayil, who joined the band shortly after it was formed in 1984, said some tension arose between himself and former front man Chris Cornell early on in the reunion, after Thayil scolded Cornell for entering the cinnamon-bun snack purveyor without a shirt.

"Honestly, I didn't even recognize Chris at first," Thayil said. "All I saw was this bare-chested guy entering the store, and that's unacceptable in the food-service industry. I hate to be the enforcer, but just because we were in a band together doesn't mean I can allow him to create an unhygienic environment."

The heated situation was quickly settled, however, when Thayil offered Cornell a complimentary 12-oz. CarmeLatta Chill. In turn, the 44-year-old lead singer responded by serenading Thayil with a version of the group's hit song "Black Hole Sun" in which he replaced the titular phrase with the word "Cinnabon." Cornell, former singer for the now-defunct group Audioslave, then stuffed his pockets with napkins, saying he needed them for a later solo project.

The two soon moved to a back table, where they joined Shepherd and drummer Matt Cameron, the latter of whom said he was overjoyed to see his old bandmates, since he had to "kill some time" before Pearl Jam practice.

Although Tuesday marked the first time the group has fully reunited, the members of Soundgarden have had a few near-misses in the past 10 years. In August 2000, all four members were seen entering Seattle-area Arby's restaurants, but the reunion never materialized: Cornell and Cameron visited the Meridian Avenue location, while Thayil and Shepherd decided to visit the Michigan Street franchise. The afternoon did, however, mark the largest Temple of the Dog reunion to date, when Cornell and Cameron ran into the rest of the supergroup's members in the restroom.

After the success of the Cinnabon reunion, Soundgarden is reportedly planning a tour of the Sunglass Hut and Piercing Pagoda.
    What voivod DIDN'T tell you was, this was from The Onion
    If it's BROWN, flush it DOWN.

GO STEELERS!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I had to check my watch 'cause I thought maybe it was April 1st...

It's funny you posted that article, voivod... My brother and I were talking about all the recent reunion tours like the VHIV and Police tours... I said, give it 10 or 15 years, we'll see Soundgarden getting back together for a cash grab...

After watching VHIV and seeing clips of The Police, I am more convinced than ever that if a band reunites, they need new QUALITY material to go along with the tour. I'm not talkin' 3 tunes for a best of deal, but an actual album where the creative juices are flowin' between members.

I hope when that time comes for Soundgarden in the future, they'll do it right...

BTW, definitely the most talented of the Seattle Grunge scene bands...

I saw someone mention Temple of the Dog in an earlier post. It's interesting because I remember reading somewhere that Neil Peart wanted them to open for Rush for the Roll the Bones tour but then he found out what the deal was. That would be a cool bunch to get back together... Well, actually, I guess Cornell would just have to start playing with Pearl Jam...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VivaVH View Post
    What voivod DIDN'T tell you was, this was from The Onion
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    BTW, definitely the most talented of the Seattle Grunge scene bands...
    I agree, 100%. One of my favorite bands of all time

Would love to see these guys get back together and tour, since I never had the luxury of seeing them live. I do agree about needing a new album, though. It'd be tough to get them to do that, knowing Cornell's work ethic.

I also did hear about the Rush thing. Damn, what a bill THAT could've been back in 1991. Good Rush tour (setlist was awesome), opened by Badmotorfinger-era Soundgarden? Shit...
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 135 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Damnit..i kept starting over cause i was all wtf??

I wish they would get back together. Right behind AIC in my book, was never really crazy about Thayill's playing.
    Dealing with it.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 3/4 of Soundgarden Reunite

This would have been cool to see. From Rollingstone.com
    Soundgarden Nearly Reunite At Tom Morello Justice Tour Stop in Seattle 3/25/09, 7:37 pm EST
    Rock Daily spotted some reports about a near Soundgarden reunion last night in Seattle at one of Tom Morello’s Justice Tour stops. RS reader Chris Senn writes in with an eyewitness account of what went down at the Crocodile Cafe after the MC5’s Wayne Kramer, Morello’s Nightwatchman, Steve Earle and Morello’s new Street Sweeper had taken their turns onstage:

“Of course, with Tom Morello and Wayne Kramer in the building it’s a given the audience is in for some kind of incarnation of ‘Kick Out the Jams.’ For lead vocals they brought out Mark Arm, lead singer of Mudhoney, while Morello and Kramer faced off in a guitar duel front and center stage. Shortly after this an additional guitarist showed up quietly, playing at the side of the stage. Although it’s been over a decade since Soundgarden broke up and his signature beard is now gray, there’s no mistaking Kim Thayil!

When Thayil was playing I could see Matt Cameron peeking around the backstage curtain. That’s when it was obvious something was up because Cameron wasn’t announced on the bill. After the song they were playing at the time ended, whatever it was, Tom Morello had the announcement those at the Croc had been waiting for.

‘I haven’t been this fucking excited about something in a long time,’ Morello exclaimed, almost bubbling over with joy. ‘It’s like I won some type of contest or something.’ Then came the introduction: Kim Thayil, Ben Shepherd, Matt Cameron and Tad Doyle as Tadgarden!!

The Soundgarden bandmates, playing for the first time together since the band broke up in 1997, didn’t take long to hit a groove. Tad Doyle, a veteran of the Seattle scene with a voice as rough as he looks and the size of about two Matt Camerons, screamed at the top of his lungs while bounding around the stage with reckless abandon. Their way-too-short three-song set rocked nonetheless. They tore through ‘Nothing to Say,’ and Morello joined them on ‘Spoonman.’ Kim Thayil displayed his signature guitar licks as if no time had passed. They finished with an energetic version of ‘Hunted Down.’ Then they were gone.”

There you go, folks. Chris Cornell, are you reading this?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Great band. I hope if they want to get together and make new music they do so.

What a great time that was...there were so many great great bands coming out...pearl jam, soundgarden, alice in chains, mudhoney, screaming trees, temple of the dog, paul westerberg, smashing pumpkins, the breeders, veruca salt, blake babies, juliana hatfield, belly...just way too many to name. Those were some really awesome times.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,128 Times in 8,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Great band. I hope if they want to get together and make new music they do so.

What a great time that was...there were so many great great bands coming out...pearl jam, soundgarden, alice in chains, mudhoney, screaming trees, temple of the dog, paul westerberg, smashing pumpkins, the breeders, veruca salt, blake babies, juliana hatfield, belly...just way too many to name. Those were some really awesome times.
    And yet the band with a guy who plays three chords like a drunk monkey and can't sing is the one that got all the press - yes I am talking about you Nirvana!

Soundgarden was a great, great band.

Them and AIC were awesome bands, too bad they couldn't keep it together.

But at least we have Chris Cornell singing dance tunes now...
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    And yet the band with a guy who plays three chords like a drunk monkey and can't sing is the one that got all the press - yes I am talking about you Nirvana!

Soundgarden was a great, great band.

Them and AIC were awesome bands, too bad they couldn't keep it together.

But at least we have Chris Cornell singing dance tunes now...
    Nirvana had some good tunes....not a lot...but they had some good tunes and I like his voice on some stuff. I couldn't stand them at the time, wrote a few newspaper pieces about everything I thought was wrong with it, one in particular that got published just after his death and got me a lot of grief about trampling on his grave etc but time and the different perspective it offers have given me a new found appreciation for Nirvana. I still don't put them anywhere near the top of my list of bands of that era, but I have found some songs buried in their albums that I really enjoy.

It was a real shame because the hype around them really sort of created a situation where EVERYONE coming out of Seattle and everyone else that associated with "grunge" got lopped together into one homogenous group and that's just not the case. That was a very very diverse scene, similar to the late sixties in that there were just a ton of groups all doing their own thing. Some, like Nirvana, got a lot of attention for being the sort "anti-heroes" who devalued musical ability etc but don't pay attention to any of that. That rhythm section was insanely talented and Cobain, for all his talk about using crap gear and not knowing anything, had monster tone and wrote some very memorable stuff. You don't get that without knowing what you're doing...at least to a certain extent. But take a look at just Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Smashing Pumpkins: four of the biggest and most successful groups of that era. All top notch musicians with a lot of ambition and creativity and really pushed themselves to create unique, memorable music. They knew exactly what they were trying to do, were gear heads and flat out knew how to play.

Even bands like the Pixies, the Breeders and Veruca Salt were creating some really really interesting stuff and though their music may not have been Malmsteenian in its level of theoretical sophistication, their use of rhythm, unique vocal approaches and gut busting tone really elevated music in general.

good times!
    Last edited by broken9500; 03.26.09 at 08:08 AM.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Nirvana had some good tunes....not a lot...but they had some good tunes and I like his voice on some stuff. I couldn't stand them at the time, wrote a few newspaper pieces about everything I thought was wrong with it, one in particular that got published just after his death and got me a lot of grief about trampling on his grave etc but time and the different perspective it offers have given me a new found appreciation for Nirvana. I still don't put them anywhere near the top of my list of bands of that era, but I have found some songs buried in their albums that I really enjoy.

It was a real shame because the hype around them really sort of created a situation where EVERYONE coming out of Seattle and everyone else that associated with "grunge" got lopped together into one homogenous group and that's just not the case. That was a very very diverse scene, similar to the late sixties in that there were just a ton of groups all doing their own thing. Some, like Nirvana, got a lot of attention for being the sort "anti-heroes" who devalued musical ability etc but don't pay attention to any of that. That rhythm section was insanely talented and Cobain, for all his talk about using crap gear and not knowing anything, had monster tone and wrote some very memorable stuff. You don't get that without knowing what you're doing...at least to a certain extent. But take a look at just Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Smashing Pumpkins: four of the biggest and most successful groups of that era. All top notch musicians with a lot of ambition and creativity and really pushed themselves to create unique, memorable music. They knew exactly what they were trying to do, were gear heads and flat out knew how to play.

Even bands like the Pixies, the Breeders and Veruca Salt were creating some really really interesting stuff and though their music may not have been Malmsteenian in its level of theoretical sophistication, their use of rhythm, unique vocal approaches and gut busting tone really elevated music in general.

good times!
    I'm with you, Broken, about that era. Some great music. Unfortunate that anyone with a Seatle zip code was labeled Grunge. I saw Soundgarden on the same bill as Faith No More and Metallica and they fit right in. And they were bloody awesome too.

As for Nirvana, I'm not the biggest fan but I do appreciate the significant shift in the musical landscape that their popularity represents. I don't think they were solely responsible for that shift but, rather, the most popular component of that shift which, arguably, was building up for a few years before.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,128 Times in 8,952 Posts

I too like some Nirvana songs, but the amount of praise heaped upon that band is nonsense.

The best thing about Nirvana to me is that we got the Foo Fighters out of it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I too like some Nirvana songs, but the amount of praise heaped upon that band is nonsense.

The best thing about Nirvana to me is that we got the Foo Fighters out of it.
    as far as number of songs I like, they're both at a dead heat.

Where Foo Fighters win out is their musicianship and their attitude. I love their vibe and they can flat out play. They have no problem tipping their hat to those who influenced them and they have a great deal of artistic ambition. They don't want to just right one kind of song. They were on Austin City Limits not too long ago and i caught the tail end...it was incredible. I just wish I liked more of their songs.

Still, I'd go to their shows in a heart beat. Great great great band.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

SOUNDGARDEN 'IN TALKS FOR REUNION'

SOUNDGARDEN are in talks to launch a comeback, according to SHINEDOWN rocker BRENT SMITH.
    The band split in 1997 and former frontman Chris Cornell recently admitted he would "never count out" the idea of a reunion, after previously insisting there was no chance they would get back together because it would never live up to his expectations.
    He said, "My fear would be that we wouldn't tap into the greatness we felt when we were on our game."
    However, a mini-reunion of former bandmates Kim Thayil, Ben Shepherd, and Matt Cameron at a gig in Seattle, Washington, in March (09) forced Cornell to rethink his future - and now Smith reveals plans have been set in motion.
    He tells Britain's Kerrang! magazine, "There's talk of a reuniting of Soundgarden in the States soon. I know actually someone specific who told me that, who is actually specifically in their organisation. Kinda told me that they're talking about it."
    Cornell went on to form Audioslave after Soundgarden split, before carving out a solo career for himself.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...eunion_1107425
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
    SOUNDGARDEN 'IN TALKS FOR REUNION'

SOUNDGARDEN are in talks to launch a comeback, according to SHINEDOWN rocker BRENT SMITH.
    The band split in 1997 and former frontman Chris Cornell recently admitted he would "never count out" the idea of a reunion, after previously insisting there was no chance they would get back together because it would never live up to his expectations.
    He said, "My fear would be that we wouldn't tap into the greatness we felt when we were on our game."
    However, a mini-reunion of former bandmates Kim Thayil, Ben Shepherd, and Matt Cameron at a gig in Seattle, Washington, in March (09) forced Cornell to rethink his future - and now Smith reveals plans have been set in motion.
    He tells Britain's Kerrang! magazine, "There's talk of a reuniting of Soundgarden in the States soon. I know actually someone specific who told me that, who is actually specifically in their organisation. Kinda told me that they're talking about it."
    Cornell went on to form Audioslave after Soundgarden split, before carving out a solo career for himself.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf...eunion_1107425
    I appreciate the post, Jesus (never wrote THAT before), but man, what passes for journalism these days is ridiculous. Some dude who knows some dude who is in the "organization" of Soundgarden says that they're TALKING reunion?