Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default CHICKENFOOT: Complete Album Details Revealed

Thanks to sharpedgesword for pointing this out in another thread.

CHICKENFOOT, the new rock supergroup comprised of drummer Chad Smith (RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS), bassist Michael Anthony (ex-VAN HALEN), guitarist Joe Satriani and vocalist Sammy Hagar (ex-VAN HALEN), has announced the global release of its self-titled debut album. The CD will be made available by earMUSIC in Germany on Friday, June 5 and in the U.K. on Monday. June 8. The album will be released by Best Buy in the U.S. on Sunday, June 7.

"Chickenfoot" will be packaged in heat-sensitive artwork, which means when you put your hand on the CD inlay, photos of the band members will be revealed behind the CHICKENFOOT band logo.

"Chickenfoot" track listing:

01. Avenida Revolution
    02. Soap on a Rope
    03. Sexy Little Thing
    04. Oh Yeah
    05. Runnin' Out
    06. Get It Up
    07. Down the Drain
    08. My Kinda Girl
    09. Learning to Fall
    10. Turnin' Left
    11. Future in the Past

Hagar wasn't looking to form a new group in his post-VAN HALEN career. "I really wasn't looking to have a real band, but when I got involved with these guys, only a fool would say, 'No, I'm not going to do this.' The minute we started jamming it was obvious, like, 'This is something that needs to be heard.'"

A great band is nothing without a great rhythm section, and CHICKENFOOT has one of the best in the two-man team of bassist Michael Anthony and drummer Chad Smith.

As a founding member (and fellow Rock and Roll Hall of Famer) of VAN HALEN, Anthony laid the bedrock for which guitar genius Eddie Van Halen could fly. More than that, he provided a signature style of background vocal that became an intrinsic part of that band. "A total fluke," the good-natured bassist humbly asserts. "I was just doing what came naturally."

Hagar sees Anthony's abilities differently. "Michael keeps the band going," he says. "Listen, he's never going to get the kind of credit he deserves — he played next to Eddie Van Halen. Hell, Jack Bruce didn't get much credit compared to Eric Clapton — that's just the nature of things. Mikey held down the fort, and he still does."

Aiding Anthony in holding down the fort is Chad Smith, drummer for the RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS, who have, since Smith joined the group in the late Eighties, gone from cult faves to a worldwide force. Heretofore thought of as a "funk/alternative" drummer, Smith gets to rock hard with CHICKENFOOT, and the percussion explosion he creates might come as a surprise to those who only know of his work from tracks like "Under The Bridge".

"The guy's from Detroit, for God's sake!" says Hagar. "He can play the hell out of funk, but he's a rocker. He plays hard, man. You could put one mic in a room with Chad, and you can hear all the parts of his kit — he's hard, but he's balanced. The band wouldn't exist without his groove."

The members of CHICKENFOOT admit that the band came together almost by accident, a result of jams held at Hagar's club, Cabo Wabo Cantina, in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

"We were just having fun," recalls Michael Anthony. "After Sammy and I left VAN HALEN, we'd get together with musicians, and certain people seemed to really gel. Chad came down and we got on well with him. Gradually, we started talking about doing something more serious, but we needed a guitarist. Somebody smokin' — somebody who could take us to the Promised Land."

Enter Satch, who hooked up with Hagar, Anthony and Smith and felt "an immediate connection unlike anything I'd ever experienced before." To Satriani, who had almost abandoned his lifelong dream of being a part of a "big-time rock band," here was his chance, and here were his bandmates. "After just a few songs, it became stunningly obvious that we shared an overall musical agenda," he says. "The only question was could we make a great album?"

The band answered that question last fall when they hunkered down with the illustrious producer Andy Johns at George Lucas' Skywalker Studios and knocked out a batch of songs that sets a new standard for rock music in the new millennium.

From the thunderous, ominous opening strains of "Avenida Revolution" (detailing the bloody drug wars in Tijuana, in which Hagar makes his feelings come through his skin) to the album closer, the shimmering rock ballad "Future's in the Past", "Chickenfoot" is a firebomb of a record, the likes of which we haven't heard in ages.

The band kicks and snorts their way through a passel of take-no-prisoners rockers like "Soap on a Rope", "Sexy Little Thing", "Oh Yeah" and "My Kind of Girl".

"These are the kinds of songs I could never do on my own," says Satriani. "I needed a band like this to make those songs come alive."

The band explores mature themes on songs such as "Runnin' Out", about a world stretched to the breaking point to "Learning to Fall", perhaps the most poignant love song Hagar has ever written lyrics for. As both a vocalist and songwriter, Hagar's intensity and forcefulness are on vivid display on "Chickenfoot".

"I write what comes to mind," the singer says. "I'm not bound by anything subject-wise. I'm inspired by the music. When I heard the music Joe was going for, it made me reach, it made me stretch. I think it made me sing in a way that I normally wouldn't have done. We seem to have that kind of effect on each other."

Satriani agrees. "People have this idea of what this band is about, or what Sammy Hagar is about as a lyricist and a vocalist," he says. "The thing is that we manage to get each guy to up his game in a non-confrontational way. When I play with CHICKENFOOT, I find myself wanting to give them more all the time. I don't hold anything back. I think the rest of the guys feel the same way."

That Satriani unleashes sheets of shred magna is, of course, a given, but what's interesting is, as individualistic and recognizable as his talents are — and this is true of all the players — they transform in a strange and beautiful way on "Chickenfoot".

Likewise, Anthony and Smith, channel past heroes. For Anthony it's ELECTRIC FLAG bassist Harvey Brooks. For Smith it's ZEPPELIN's John Bonham. Together, they perform something of an astonishing balancing act, dispending performances that meet at the intersection of Heavy and Nimble. This is what a rhythm section does, drives the band in forceful, creative ways. Listen to CHICKENFOOT and you'll hear what a true rhythm section sounds like.

"Chickenfoot", which is already being hailed as the most intense rock 'n' roll album since LED ZEPPELIN's classic efforts, coincides with a European tour that will consist of outdoor festivals, including Montreaux, Switzerland, and Bospop, Holland, plus various intimate indoor rock shows, including the London O2 Shepherd's Bush Empire on June 25.

Tickets for the London 02 Shepherd's Bush Empire concert go on sale at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, March 27. This will be CHICKENFOOT's only UK date on the European tour.

CHICKENFOOT tour dates:

Jun. 20 - Austria Nova Rock Festival
    Jun. 23 - Cork, Ireland: Live At The Marquee
    Jun. 25 - London Shepherd's Bush Empire
    Jun. 26 - Holland: Heerhugowaard
    Jun. 28 - Belgium Graspop Metal Meeting Festival
    Jun. 29 - Paris: Olympia
    Jul. 01 - Madrid (venue to be confirmed)
    Jul. 03 - Pistoia, Italy: Blues Festival
    Jul. 04 - Montreux, Switzerland: Stravinski Hall
    Jul. 05 - Udine, Italy: Lignano Sbbiadoro
    Jul. 07 - Hamburg: Grosse Freiheit
    Jul. 08 - Copenhagen: Vega
    Jul. 10 - Kilafors, Sweden: Rockweekend Festival
    Jul. 12 - Weert, Holland: Bospop Festival

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=116811
    Last edited by VanHalenRules; 03.25.09 at 07:50 AM.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.11.15 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright! Way to have everything summed up in one article. I just keep getting more excited for this. And it's nice to hear the guys say great things about each other - there's a lot to be said for good chemistry.

Really, though. I know they're supposed to toot their own horn, but when I read lines like this, I can't help but shake my head.

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    "Chickenfoot", which is already being hailed as the most intense rock 'n' roll album since LED ZEPPELIN's classic efforts, coincides with a European tour that will consist of outdoor festivals,
    Van Halen will rock your face off!

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:24 PM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Awesome. Lookin' forward to June, the Chickenfoot album, and a new Dream Theater album!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

So much for Bitten by the Wolf being one of the track names.

But the name, Avenida Revolution just seems fuckin' AWESOME.

Those track names just SOUND like GREAT tunes.

But time will tell.

HEAT sensitive artwork on the cover!?!?!? What the FUCK!!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However...I thought they recorded the album at Sammy's studio? Not at Skywalker Sound...George Lucas' studio.....All of a sudden I'm worried about this project .....................

Maybe this whole article is fake?
    Last edited by MF5150; 03.25.09 at 08:04 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

I'm looking forward to hearing Joe live, I am a big Satch fan. One of the best shows I've EVER seen was Satch live at the Bronco Bowl here in Dallas. It was a small venue (very small), like 200 people and the vibe in the room was amazing.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

"After Sammy and I left VAN HALEN"

"Chickenfoot", which is already being hailed as the most intense rock 'n' roll album since LED ZEPPELIN's classic efforts"

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I love the press release but that is just total horse shit!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Well, do you really think they're going to say, "Since Ed lost his fucking mind and kicked us out", in something like this?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    "After Sammy and I left VAN HALEN"

"Chickenfoot", which is already being hailed as the most intense rock 'n' roll album since LED ZEPPELIN's classic efforts"

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I love the press release but that is just total horse shit!
    Another point which makes me believe (partially) that this is fake. It has been compared to Zeppelin by Sammy. but that was haphazardly. It hasn't be hailed by anyone, I don't think.

Well, do you really think they're going to say, "Since Ed lost his fucking mind and kicked us out", in something like this?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Why bring up VH at all? If it were me, I wouldnt say shit about them...but hey...that's just me.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post

HEAT sensitive artwork on the cover!?!?!? What the FUCK!!!!!

Van Halen 3 was heat sensitive too. We all got burned on that one.

(I know, that was lame. )
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The VHND has the above information, along with the actual album cover, which is sort of cool.

http://www.vhnd.com/2009/03/25/chick...ails-revealed/
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On a second read, my admiration for Mike went up. The guy is just so humble! I really appreciate that about him.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Van Halen 3 was heat sensitive too. We all got burned on that one.

(I know, that was lame. )

Ouch. Ouch Ouch! Well played!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/balance/chxfoot
    Favorite VH Song

Turnin Left/7th seal/secrets
    Last Online

02.13.13 @ 02:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

UUGGHHHHH! I don't want to wait 2 more months! Can't wait, I just can't help imagining that this CD is going to kick some ass!

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm glad I live 1 1/2 hours away from the nearest Best Buy Ordering online just isn't as special. And you have to pay shipping.