Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Default Sammy in latest EQ Magazine

Just got the latest EQ Magazine in the mail (www.eqmag.com). Sammy's name is on the cover at the bottom: it says, "SAMMY HAGAR ON GUITAR TONE". The following article is featured guitar article in the Techniques section:

SAMMY HAGAR’S RED ROCKER METHOD
    By Steven Douglas Losey

When it comes to laying down guitar tracks, Sammy Hagar is a simple guy. He’s the first to admit that he’s not a technical cat, and that he prefers to be a guitar minimalist in the studio. Still, Hagar has logged more than three decades of studio dates recording with Montrose and Van Halen, and making more than 20 solo albums (the latest being Cosmic Universal Fashion on Loud & Proud Records). As a great player himself – not to mention the fact that he was standing next to guys such as Eddie Van Halen and Ronnie Montrose in the studio – Hagar has quite a bit of experience recording mammoth guitar sounds. Here are a few tidbits for EQ readers.

PURITY
    “I go directly from guitar to amp to microphone with no effects at all in front. I try to ge the best tone for rhythm, the best tone for lead, and leave it at that. The truth is, I don’t like playing through gadgets. Every time I try a wireless or a cord going into a pedal, I always end up adding another piece of equipment just to get more preamp tone. I can really feel the gain eaten up when I run my sound through anything. Also, if you add a bunch of effects to the signal chain, you might have a “perfect” solo-guitar track that too much going on to work in the mix. Then, you have to redo the part, and I’m lazy! Of course, many producers these days like you to go dry to that they can try 20 different things in the mix to make the part come alive.”

DYNAMIC INTERACTION
    “I stand next to the amp and wear headphones. I don’t ever track in the control room. I really want that interaction with the amp and the guitar. It’s the way I play, and it’s definitely a part of my sound and vibe. If the amp is too loud, I’ll just stand behind it.”

LIMITATIONS ARE GOOD
    “I like to get in and get out, and catch inspiration when it’s knocking. A lot of people try everything on every song when they record. I don’t do that, because you can get bogged down with the endless possibilities.”

MULTITASKING SUCKS
    “It’s really difficult to come up with a good guitar part and a good vocal at the same time. I usually have to finish my guitar tracks, and then figure out what I’m going to sing on top of them. It was like working two jobs. In Van Halen, Eddie played guitar, and I sang, and that was cool.”

FIND YOUR SPACE
    “With bands like Van Halen and Montrose, it’s all about the guitar and the vocal. Ted Templeman [noted producer] was a genius for finding the perfect slot for the vocal when confronted with a wall of guitars. When I joined Van Halen, one of his favorite things to say was, “Finally, someone who can sing over Eddie’s guitar.” David Lee Roth sang in a low register, and you couldn’t get the vocal up loud enough without eating up the track, which meant the guitars had to be back in the mix. In the early days, Eddie would only do one guitar track, and as a result, the guitar was very sparse. When I joined the band, the guitars got much louder – and the production got much fuller – because I could scream over a bunch of guitar tracks, a cranked bass, and a keyboard.”

DAWS LEVEL THE PLAYING FIELD A BIT TOO MUCH
    “DAWs tend to allow people who aren’t so good singing or playing to be very competitive. I can sing on key, and I can play in time. My band can go in and get an amazing track in one take. But some bands can go in and sound like they’re just as good because of technology. It’s funny – you go see them and say, “These guys stink!” I don’t think being able to fix bad performances is good for the industry, because then it seems any good-looking chick or handsome dude can go off and have a smash hit.”

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

I am not too sure this interview has been edited very well.

Templeman didn't work on any records with Sam until FUCK and even then it was just at the end of it, so what he is quoting Ted as saying really doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

Templeman didn't work on any records with Sam until FUCK and even then it was just at the end of it, so what he is quoting Ted as saying really doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Actually, Templeman produced VOA.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    Actually, Templeman produced VOA.
    He also did Montrose's debut and Paper Money.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:15 PM
    Liked 550 Times in 382 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

Sammy worked with Templeman before Van Halen ever did.
    [B]
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Ted Templeman produced the first two Montrose records, Montrose and Paper Money, in 1973 and 1974 respectively. That's a few years before he probably even knew who Van Halen were.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    Ted Templeman produced the first two Montrose records, Montrose and Paper Money, in 1973 and 1974 respectively. That's a few years before he probably even knew who Van Halen were.
    And, I believe, Donn Landee engineered those records. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Templeman also attended pre-production sessions with Van Halen in 1985 and was slated to produce 5150, but when the recording schedule was going to coincide with DLR's album production, he left in order to keep his word to DLR.

I got from the article that Sam basically likes recording the old fashioned way, he's just doing it on a digital format now. It's cool he still likes hanging out in the room with amp; I always try to record the same way whenever possible.

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

I really like Sammy's guitar tones in his post-VH solo career. Really crunchy, especially on Not 4 Sale. I find it hard to believe that was through a Crate amp. I'm guessing he has his recording amps and his endorsing amps if you know what I mean.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

Hmm, learned something new, I remember now that he produced Montrose since you guys mentioned it, but I didn't know about Templeman producing Sam's solo stuff.

I still find it hard to believe that Templeman would say anything derogatory about Dave's singing abilities to Sam before Sam was in VH. But who the hell knows, I wasn't there.

Whether he said it or not, it is probably accurate, I doubt Sam needs as much work to sound good in the studio.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brownnation View Post
    I really like Sammy's guitar tones in his post-VH solo career. Really crunchy, especially on Not 4 Sale. I find it hard to believe that was through a Crate amp. I'm guessing he has his recording amps and his endorsing amps if you know what I mean.
    Yeah. Alot of his tones sound mighty JCM900-ish to me. Crates just don't have that. They always sound a bit sterile, generic distortion like to me. I'm sure he pulls out his old arsenal for recording.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Yeah. Alot of his tones sound mighty JCM900-ish to me. Crates just don't have that. They always sound a bit sterile, generic distortion like to me. I'm sure he pulls out his old arsenal for recording.
    The Crate Blue Voodoo series was a good line of amps (Sammy used a slightly modified version of it that was then retitled "Red Voodoo"). Don't let the Crate brand throw you off; yes, they have for a long time made starter and cheapie amps, but they've also produced some high end stuff that has been quite good.