Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.15.11 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Price Drop on Marshalls??

I was on a website that sells Marshalls and they are advertising a DSL100 "MLB" with 1960 4X12 cab for $1300.00???

...What is the "MLB" model? I think its a JCM2000 DSL100 but the price for both seems....fishy as I think those cabs alone are around $900.00.

It says to pre-order as well....anyone else see this? It was on musicians friend.com.

...If its true....looks like I'm buying a Marshall half stack this weekend! LOL

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:18 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I'm not really up on Marshalls, but the cab with that half stack is the MC412 200W cab which goes for around $400 itself. The MG412 cab is 120W and goes for $279, and that's the one they use with their solid state head. You're right, the 1960 cabs which are 300W go for $800. Still, that $1300 half stack is all tube (4 ECC83/4 EL34's) and says "JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead" on the head.

Last Online

It would be great if someone with actual JCM2000 experience would reply here, but I noticed a good number of people who were not happy with the reliability of their JCM2000's in the harmony-central forums. It seemed like several people also did not have a good experience with warranty repairs due to the complexity of the amp. These are just comments I found taking a quick look around the forums, so they may not be indicative of the actual quality of this head. Also, my gut says the MC412 cab probably doesn't sound as good as a 1960 cab, but at $1300 for the half stack it might kick some ass.

Last Online

03.15.11 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Marshalls

...Is it an attempt for Marshall to clear out any leftover DSL 100's???

I was told there was a recall due to faulty wiring on the JCM2000's? Anyone know if thats true or not?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I don't know about the reliability issues, but the low price may be down to the weakness of the pound just now. It's a lot cheaper to import from the UK to the US than it used to be, and a lot more expensive the other way.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i had 2 JCM2000..and hated them both...3 channels, had the TSL 2x12 and a full stack. sound ain't bad..but did'nt sound like a marshall should to me. did'nt have any problems with them..kept them for 1 years i'de say. clean sucked, but that is to be expected on a marshall. you don't buy a Marshall for the clean tone..LOL.

SO sold them, at a profit actually...and got back to the old marshall style..one channel..cranked ..

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.07.09 @ 07:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Halen_Fanatic View Post
    I was on a website that sells Marshalls and they are advertising a DSL100 "MLB" with 1960 4X12 cab for $1300.00???

...What is the "MLB" model? I think its a JCM2000 DSL100 but the price for both seems....fishy as I think those cabs alone are around $900.00.

It says to pre-order as well....anyone else see this? It was on musicians friend.com.

...If its true....looks like I'm buying a Marshall half stack this weekend! LOL
    Hey guys, new here...I ordered this package from AMS and it arrived yesterday. This is the real deal! The head is exactly the same DSL100 as sold before, with the exception of the "Levant" tolex vs. "elephant grain". Both he head and the cab have the levant tolex and the standard pro black tweed grill cloth, the head has black piping, the cab has none. Also to note the head has rubber feet, not the standard "sprung" feet. This could explain why the cab does not have the anti-slides on top. I personally like the levant, and no it is not the plastic tolex you find on some MG series. The cab is built very nice, although MDF board instead of birch and 50 watt Celestion speakers, it sounds decent and handles the head very well IMO. Here is the coolest thing of all...after doing some research I found that the new Marshall "85th" or model 1923 is the 50 watt version of the DSL, with the levant tolex, gold piping, and is selling for $1,850, head alone!!! Of course it has some fancy markings for the 85th, but it is everything the DSL 50 and 100 watt are. So, for $1,300 (seems you can only get the head as a package deal this time) this really is the best deal I have found in a long time...I would not wait if you liked the DSL heads and considering buying this package As for sound, this amp kicks some butt. I have a 1999 PRS CE22 and it sounds real nice. I have watched some youtube vids of this amp with the voodoo mod, it sounds amazing. So since I paid approx $899 for the head, I am considering the mod, don't get me wrong the head is nice sounding, I just like what I have heard from the mods...

Last Online

Hey thanks for the updated info. I was watching this thread but thought it had slipped into obscurity... I've been doing a lot of research on this head ever since Halen_Fanatic made his original post. It seems the JCM2000 TSL 100 (three channel) head is regarded to have sterile/bad tone whereas the JCM2000 DSL 100 (dual channel) has excellent Marshall tone and even a sparkling clean channel. Sure the cab isn't a 1960 but it's rated at 200W and all of the reviews I've read of the cab by itself have been good. At the price for both it's almost a steal. I was thinking a JCM2000 DSL 50 would even be better since you could drive the power tubes more, but they aren't making those (except for the $$$ 85th) and I don't feel like sorting out a used one.

I was also reading up on the Voodoo mods, but another thing to consider is to retube using JJ tubes and go with a hotter bias. I've read that the factory tubes aren't that great (just like every other vendor) and that the bias is cold. People reported that the already great tone was even better with new tubes/hotter bias. Also, the BBE Sonic Stomp/Maximizer in the loop was said to open up the amp, just like it can do for many other rigs.

I don't mind the EQ shared by both channels and the fact that you can't footswitch the extra voicings on each channel.

How does the reverb sound- is it at least usable? I'm seriously thinking of trading in my mint '88 Mesa/Boogie Mark III on this JCM2000 DSL 100 offering. I was also looking at the EVH 5150 III but this Marshall might fit the bill very well for substantially less money.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.07.09 @ 07:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Hey thanks for the updated info. I was watching this thread but thought it had slipped into obscurity... I've been doing a lot of research on this head ever since Halen_Fanatic made his original post. It seems the JCM2000 TSL 100 (three channel) head is regarded to have sterile/bad tone whereas the JCM2000 DSL 100 (dual channel) has excellent Marshall tone and even a sparkling clean channel. Sure the cab isn't a 1960 but it's rated at 200W and all of the reviews I've read of the cab by itself have been good. At the price for both it's almost a steal. I was thinking a JCM2000 DSL 50 would even be better since you could drive the power tubes more, but they aren't making those (except for the $$$ 85th) and I don't feel like sorting out a used one.

I was also reading up on the Voodoo mods, but another thing to consider is to retube using JJ tubes and go with a hotter bias. I've read that the factory tubes aren't that great (just like every other vendor) and that the bias is cold. People reported that the already great tone was even better with new tubes/hotter bias. Also, the BBE Sonic Stomp/Maximizer in the loop was said to open up the amp, just like it can do for many other rigs.

I don't mind the EQ shared by both channels and the fact that you can't footswitch the extra voicings on each channel.

How does the reverb sound- is it at least usable? I'm seriously thinking of trading in my mint '88 Mesa/Boogie Mark III on this JCM2000 DSL 100 offering. I was also looking at the EVH 5150 III but this Marshall might fit the bill very well for substantially less money.
    The reverb, imo, is not bad. It is of course spring and not digital. Some may like the "smooth" of digital but I really like the DSl reverb. I am really liking this amp more and more...as for the mod, I have changed my mind. I have a MXR ZW OD, which I use mainly on the LEAD1 channel with the gain dialed about 5.5, it is way nice sounding. Because of ordering this package from AMS, they just offered me the MXR108 10 band EQ for $89 (free shipping, no tax) which I ordered straight away! I have read that the MXR 10 band compliments the DSL head nicely for getting all sorts of great tones. The DSl and your Boogie are going to be different of course, I guess it really depends on what sound your trying to acheive. I have not played with the EHV, but it sure seems that the 5150III is closer to Marshall sounding than the PV 5150 was...again only from what I have heard on youtube.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wish Marshalll would drop their price on the 1959RR.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I wish Marshalll would drop their price on the 1959RR.
    Crazy Train!! I doubt they will drop the price on that one, but pick up a vintage early 1980's MXR Distortion + pedal and you'll be part of the way there...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Marklar1969 View Post
    The reverb, imo, is not bad. It is of course spring and not digital. Some may like the "smooth" of digital but I really like the DSl reverb. I am really liking this amp more and more...as for the mod, I have changed my mind. I have a MXR ZW OD, which I use mainly on the LEAD1 channel with the gain dialed about 5.5, it is way nice sounding. Because of ordering this package from AMS, they just offered me the MXR108 10 band EQ for $89 (free shipping, no tax) which I ordered straight away! I have read that the MXR 10 band compliments the DSL head nicely for getting all sorts of great tones. The DSl and your Boogie are going to be different of course, I guess it really depends on what sound your trying to acheive. I have not played with the EHV, but it sure seems that the 5150III is closer to Marshall sounding than the PV 5150 was...again only from what I have heard on youtube.
    My Mark III is also spring reverb- I'm all analog, no digital for me... That sounds like a perfect setup with the ZW overdrive pushing Lead1 and the 10 band EQ in the loop. You see, channel two on the Mesa Mark III is "hot-rodded Marshall" mode and that's the channel I use most of all. I've even swapped the original 6L6 power tubes for Mesa EL34's, but I'm not running at volumes that are hitting the power tubes much anyway (there is a little difference though).

I'm also thinking of just looking for a used JCM2000 DSL 50 head and sending it to Voodoo. Then I'd have my choice of cabs like 1960A, etc. I still can't believe that they are selling that DSL 100 head + cab at such a low price- it's almost irresistable, and then you have the 5 year warranty. I don't think I could part with my Mark III though, so I'll probably have to convince the wife that I need both.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Crazy Train!! I doubt they will drop the price on that one, but pick up a vintage early 1980's MXR Distortion + pedal and you'll be part of the way there...
    I had an MXR Distortion + back in the day.
    Awesome pedal ... very old skool.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I had an MXR Distortion + back in the day.
    Awesome pedal ... very old skool.
    I was using an Electro-Harmonix booster pedal (LPB?), a Big Muff Pi, and a Morley Wah/Volume back in the late 70's/early 80's, going into a Peavey Duece 2 X 12" combo with built-in phase shifter.

I just went back and forth with GC regarding a 15% off Easter weekend coupon, and it turns out it can be used for Marshall items when ordering by phone or visiting a store. Marshall is excluded from any coupons when ordering online. So at $1105 after discount (with free shipping even on phone orders) I am picking up one of these JCM2000 DSL100MLB 100W heads w/MC412 200W cab and running away as fast as I can!

Last Online

I just ordered this half stack using the GC 866-498-7882 number since the 15% off coupon is only good for Marshall purchases at that number or at an actual GC store. I called my closest store a few days ago and they weren't even aware of this special package price and they had none in stock.

So it was $1299.00 - 15% for a total of $1104.15. The DSL100 head alone used to sell for $1299.00. If anyone wants a new 100W all-tube Marshall half stack for $1104 with free shipping, from 4/10 to 4/12 is the time to do it! I told them I had received the "Easter Weekend Savings 15% Off Coupon" in the mail and they didn't even ask for the code number from the back of the coupon. I guess anyone who calls could do the same thing to get the price. The e-mail coupon and the one on their web site excludes Marshall purchases, while the coupon received in the mail does not.