Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.11.15 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Hunting/Fishing, anyone?

I thought maybe we could have a thread for all those who indulge in the wonderful outdoor sports that are hunting and fishing. I am big-time into bear hunting myself, but also partake in the annual whitetail season and enjoy small game hunting a bit. I'm a pike and walleye kind of girl when it comes to fishing, but often have a blast catching some bluegill with a hook and some macaroni.

What are you guys into? Maybe we could swap some stories?
    Van Halen will rock your face off!

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

I haven't been hunting or fishing in years.

It was a rare occasion though growing up in central Nebraska for me to come home from school without grabbing my rifle and walking around for a bit and at least doing a little bird hunting. The cats were at least happy to follow me.

Saturday and Sunday mornings were for Pheasant and Dove hunting in the fall, and Coyote hunting in the late fall and winter. I froze my ass off many times waiting on a Coyote to come up as my Dad would try to call them in.

I can remember on one occasion my Dad getting this nice one to walk up within about 50 yards of us. I went to put the crosshairs on it, and couldn't find the damn thing in my scope! I had the scope turned up as high as it would go, figuring the damn thing would be farther away than 50 yards when I saw it. My Dad said, "Do you see anything?" and I replied, "I can't get it in my scope!". He looked at me and said, "Turn your scope down!" but when I reached up to adjust it, the Coyote saw me and turned and ran.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Looking forward to fishing season this year. There are few hobbies that you can do that are that relaxing. My 11 year old son loves to fish too, whether it is in a pond, river or the ocean. When it is fishing season it is all he thinks about. It's very cool.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I grew up fishing in and around Maryland especially on the Susquehana River and Chesapeake Bay. I also got into surf fishing in my 20s and had some really fun times on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. I like to waterfowl hunt but not much into Venison for hunting but enjoy eating it.Its just nice to get outdoors and throw a line.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

My first sea fishing adventure.

We go out in a boat, looking for pollock. My friends were reeling them in and I was there, hours later with not even a bite. Could not for the life of me work it out. Literally, minutes before we were set to head back, I got a bite and saw the line zip out into the ocean. It felt big and I let it run. I watched the line zip further out and then suddenly disappear. The next thing I know, my line is going skyward. Yep, I hooked a huge seagull. I had to bring the bugger in as well so we could try to unhook him. Those things are vicious.

We all ate pollock that night but I was the star of the day for being a complete fuckwit.

My brother once went swimming in a nearby river. He was diving down, staying down as long as he could. One time he surfaced and he look like he was struggling, water splashing everywhere. He staggered nearer the shore as we all ran to the bank. He literally threw a twenty pound salmon onto the bank, shouting "Dinner". He'd basically done an underwater rodeo with it - somehow he held on, I have no idea how.. Laughed my arse off at that one.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

noodling count??

Favorite VH Album

5150,Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

5150,Women in Love
    Last Online

04.02.14 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Definately big time into fishing. The minute the weather is even close to bearable,i'm out there. Most of it in my area of Wiscinsin is Bass and Walleye. Northern and Muskie are probably the most fun to catch.

But i'm one that loves catfishing....mainly at night. Big-ass catfish are a blast.

Side Story:
    Years ago,me and 2 friends of mine went to a private riverbank that a guy would let us into. We had beer,poles,and wood for a fire. We were spread out a good 15ft from eachother,just sitting with our lines in the water with some cut up clam meat on 'em. One of the dudes had his pole stuck into a cinder block to hold it up and to keep it from getting dragged in. We look down at him and his pole is completely bent over so we start yelling at him. He was concentrating on his Playboy and didn't notice the pole. He finally grabs it and pulls,and there was no movement,just something pulling exactly opposite from where he was.

First thought:it's a snapping turtle.
    Of course,I get talked in to jumping in.....neck high water and i'm trying to follow the line,expecting to feel a shell. I get to it,and when I put my hand around it,I looked up at them and said "om my fucking god". I did all I could to lift it to the top of the water. Wasn't a turtle. Got it to the top and it's head was visible and I was stuck there. Couldn't really move it. The biggest cat that I had ever seen,by far.

Their bright idea? One gets in the car and goes back to the farm where I lived and gets a small cattle trough.They helped get it out of the water and got it in to the trough. I shit you not,this was one of them catfish that you can literally get your whole fist,past the wrist,into it's mouth.

Easily the most interesting catch i've ever seen. A little over 4ft long,and the girth was just amazing. Not really a normal cat to be catching around here,and haven't quite seen one like it since.

But THAT is why I fish,for times like that. So simple,but so damn fun.
    Good thing to know:
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 148 Times in 94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DiveBomb View Post
    I thought maybe we could have a thread for all those who indulge in the wonderful outdoor sports that are hunting and fishing. I am big-time into bear hunting myself, but also partake in the annual whitetail season and enjoy small game hunting a bit. I'm a pike and walleye kind of girl when it comes to fishing, but often have a blast catching some bluegill with a hook and some macaroni.

What are you guys into? Maybe we could swap some stories?
    Heh, I didn't even have to look at your location to tell you were a fellow Michigander (or whatever we call ourselves) I cant seem to make it out ice fishing any more due to work. But I never miss deer hunting. I usually do pretty well, though this year I wish the deer were bigger (In my defense, I thought the small buck was a big doe )...My first with a bow. I'm right around the crotch of the mitten btw. I'm glad to see there are some fellow hunters on the site.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I'm big in to NW fishing. Salmon, Steelhead, Halibut, Tuna and bottom fishing. Springers are coming up the Columbia now. We'll get those for a couple more months, then start looking at Halibut. By early July the albacore should be reachable. By the time that dies out, the fall coho run should come (huge year expected....huge) they are predicting allowing 3-4 fish per angler this year Fire up the smoker!

I'm stoked.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.11.15 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jack5150 View Post
    Heh, I didn't even have to look at your location to tell you were a fellow Michigander (or whatever we call ourselves) I cant seem to make it out ice fishing any more due to work. But I never miss deer hunting. I usually do pretty well, though this year I wish the deer were bigger (In my defense, I thought the small buck was a big doe )...My first with a bow. I'm right around the crotch of the mitten btw. I'm glad to see there are some fellow hunters on the site.
    No joke. I'm from Missaukee county, and it's pathetic. I partly blame the ridiculous buck to doe ratio and partly the out-of-staters who come and shoot 3 spikes per season. That's why everyone I know who wants a trophy buck goes to Iowa or the Dakotas.
    Van Halen will rock your face off!

On Fire
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 148 Times in 94 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DiveBomb View Post
    No joke. I'm from Missaukee county, and it's pathetic. I partly blame the ridiculous buck to doe ratio and partly the out-of-staters who come and shoot 3 spikes per season. That's why everyone I know who wants a trophy buck goes to Iowa or the Dakotas.
    yeah, all of the guys I hunt with go to Iowa every year. I could never get the time off. Have to wait and see what this year brings. I did not know where Missaukee was, turns out I hunt near there in clare about 10 miles north of jays sporting good. Small world
    Last edited by jack5150; 03.21.09 at 01:57 PM. Reason: just adding something

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

04.05.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Donor

Living here in Notheast Pa is great. A lot of lakes, ponds and streams to fish and am an avid deer hunter. Just started with a Cross Bow last year and just enjoy being in the woods. Plus, we have bear ,turkey and deer around our property and I've been fortunate enough to see Bobcats and Coyote's in the wild. I've gotten my share of game animals and thankfully my wife and daughter enjoy venison.Also got into surf fishing and that is pure heaven.
    Last edited by ddzavis; 03.21.09 at 02:37 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

The ones about Dancing
    Last Online

11.26.14 @ 12:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    I'm big in to NW fishing. Salmon, Steelhead, Halibut, Tuna and bottom fishing. Springers are coming up the Columbia now. We'll get those for a couple more months, then start looking at Halibut. By early July the albacore should be reachable. By the time that dies out, the fall coho run should come (huge year expected....huge) they are predicting allowing 3-4 fish per angler this year Fire up the smoker!

I'm stoked.
    Yea, yea, you just got to rub it in donít you. When most of us want a good piece of Salomon we have to pay 6 or 7 bucks a lb for some farm raised, and you have the real thing it right in your back yard, Thanks a lot.

I will defiantly do couple of fishing and hunting trips this year. I plan on taking my 20 year old Son down to the Cumberland National Forest for some fresh water trout fishing. Then we need to hit Lake Cumberland for some strip bass. This fall I want to do black powder season and maybe some bow hunting.

Noodling now that is crazy back when I was in high school me and my buddy went noodling he pulled out a 10 lb cat it was a trip.

My best memory of fishing would be back in 76í when a lived in Alaska spearing Salomon in a fresh water stream. Now that was liven we where just kids having fun.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

I used to duck and goose hunt pretty much every weekend, I spent thousands of dollars on decoys and gear. At one point my hunting buddy and I had 400 goose decoys and it still was not enough. I used to fly fish non stop, tied my own fly's travelled to go fish creeks and rivers etc etc. Then I just kind of lost interest.

I live on a small lake so I go out and do some fishing in the evenings now and then. I just kind of lost the fire for it, I don't know what happened. My 20's and 30's are filled with great memories of my time spent on a river or in a goose blind.

Nothing more exciting than calling in 100 Canadian geese and having them land all around you. You can hear the wind rushing under the wings as they come in. The only bad part about goose hunting is the colder it is the better it is. I had tons of warm gear, camo, all white you name it and I still froze my ass off. One day it was so cold I could not feel my hands and my buddy said my cheeks were starting to turn gray. You forget real fast how cold you are when 100 geese land right on top of you.

I enjoyed quail hunting as well. Watching the dogs work is amazing. You also don't have to shoot as big of a load to bring down a quail. Sometimes my shoulder would be black and blue Monday morning from shooting duck and goose loads for 2 days.

Fly fishing was my summer passion. My buddies and I would road trip all over the western US to fish creeks and rivers. The best fishing trip EVER was on a small little creek in Idaho called the powder river. The creek was about 2 feet deep and slow moving. We caught 18 to 22 inch fat rainbows all day long, it was like something out of a movie. We camped on the banks drank wine and BBQ'd fresh trout. It was an amazing trip!!!

Sun Valley ID is supposed to have some of the best fly fishing in the nation. I went there many times and thought it sucked ass every time. I spent 4 days fishing this blue ribbon trout stream and did not catch shit, nothing nadda zilch. I drove for 10 hours and stayed in a shithole motel and caught NOTHING!!! I went back with a friend the next year, he caught a 3 inch trout.

We used to pheasant hunt in the fall, yes after school. Then the sugar beet industry pulled out of the Yakima Valley, the pheasant population turned to crap.

I hated chucker hunting with a passion. Chasing the stupid birds up and down cliffs was not my idea of a good time. I preferred to let the birds come to me, so I started to duck and goose hunt.
    Last edited by OLO; 03.22.09 at 12:28 AM.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Haven't been hunting in like 20 years or fishing for like 5 or 6.

Did a ton of fishing down in The Keys when I was younger, Snapper, Grouper, Dolphin (no, not Flipper) were the fish we usually went after. Up until we moved here in late 3001, a buddy of mine and I would go lobster diving, but towards the end, my ears would start giving me fits at anything below about 20 feet (mind you, this was free diving, no tank), so I was doing fewer dives. Yum, love me some Florida Spiny lobster tail.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.