Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Default Any new buyers or love for the EVH 5150 III?

Hey guys,

I see the EVH Wolfgang is getting lots of attention these days but was curious how many on here have bought the 5150 III and what you think?

I've had mine now for about 4 months and I just melt every time I play it. The tone on all three channels is to die for and when it's cranked up it can blow the doors off. It sounds better and better the louder it is cranked. I also have the matching white cabinet and those cabs are also special.

I was wondering if anyone has used an attenuator with theirs? I am nervous to do it with the amp as I don't want anything to fry.

All in all I love this amp. Whatcha think?

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought mine a couple days after New Years and I love it. Channel 1 is my favorite with the gain turned on about 7-8. I really like the brittle distortion tone it gives. It reminds me of an old Marshall. I have a JCM 800 that I love, and Channel 1 gives that tone. Channel 2 is awesome as well. Sounds VERY much like Vintage VH I thru 1984 in my opinion. Channel 3 is great, but I use it with the gain on 5 and basicall as a solo volume boost for when playing live. I try to emulate Channel 2 as much as possible but at a louder volume. The amp and cabinet both sound excellent together. I also like that the amp has handles on the sides and the top. It makes it easier for loading in to tight spaces in a car or van.

I just used my amp to record a 7 song EP for the band I am in.

I don't like shameless self promotion, but if anyone wants to check out the sound I got in the studio, check out our myspace site. We just put 3 new songs up a couple weeks ago. They all have a bit of a different style and sound. There's one song called "Mislead" that I used a Les Paul tuned down to C with guage 13 strings. (The whole guitar is dropped down) Just incase there are any players here that like lower tunings and want to hear what it sounds like with the amp. Most of our stuff is tuned to 440 but we have some detuned stuff. We are all over the place stylistically just having fun.

Here's the link:

http://www.myspace.com/snowblacksunday

As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 11,592 Times in 4,941 Posts

Good songs man, singer has a great voice. Amp sounds nice.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    I bought mine a couple days after New Years and I love it. Channel 1 is my favorite with the gain turned on about 7-8. I really like the brittle distortion tone it gives. It reminds me of an old Marshall. I have a JCM 800 that I love, and Channel 1 gives that tone. Channel 2 is awesome as well. Sounds VERY much like Vintage VH I thru 1984 in my opinion. Channel 3 is great, but I use it with the gain on 5 and basicall as a solo volume boost for when playing live. I try to emulate Channel 2 as much as possible but at a louder volume. The amp and cabinet both sound excellent together. I also like that the amp has handles on the sides and the top. It makes it easier for loading in to tight spaces in a car or van.

I just used my amp to record a 7 song EP for the band I am in.

I don't like shameless self promotion, but if anyone wants to check out the sound I got in the studio, check out our myspace site. We just put 3 new songs up a couple weeks ago. They all have a bit of a different style and sound. There's one song called "Mislead" that I used a Les Paul tuned down to C with guage 13 strings. (The whole guitar is dropped down) Just incase there are any players here that like lower tunings and want to hear what it sounds like with the amp. Most of our stuff is tuned to 440 but we have some detuned stuff. We are all over the place stylistically just having fun.

Here's the link:

http://www.myspace.com/snowblacksunday

Dude! I mean, I expected the amp to sound sweet, which it did, but I actually really liked the music.

Your singer has a really cool tone to her voice, and pulls off the rock thing very well. (I mean, a lot of the semi-famous or local bands I go and hear... sadly the female lead singer either tries to show off her classical opera skills, or thinks she has to imitate Billy Idol to sound good )

But your band is really sweet man! Everyone: highly recommended from me to go take a listen.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

I also agree....your band sounds really great and very professional. I am digging the singer and for some reason the beginning of her voice on the first track sounded like Katy Perry...(sorry but I think she has a good voice).

I also love the guitar tones. You should be proud....half the shit out today doesnt sound this good. Kudos!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the compliments guys. I really appreciate it! I'll make sure I tell Steph she has some "fans" among the VH community. : )

The funny thing is, she's so young and impressionable. (22 years old) .... She really has NO real rock influences. She likes Christina Aguilera, Celine, etc ... the usual. She's a great girl and fun to work with. It's just hilarious to ask her to learn a cover like Aint Talking 'Bout Love or something, and she's like "get me a copy and I will learn it" because she's never heard it before ... so we're all like ... "ahh never mind". HAHA.

Incidently ... I am very proud of this amp, it really does the job and it was a dream to work with in the studio. It has been very reliable. For the first time in like 10 years I am not worried something is going to go wrong with my amp when I play live. HAHA.

Thanks again fellas!!
    - John Lennon

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys. I really appreciate it! I'll make sure I tell Steph she has some "fans" among the VH community. : )

The funny thing is, she's so young and impressionable. (22 years old) .... She really has NO real rock influences. She likes Christina Aguilera, Celine, etc ... the usual. She's a great girl and fun to work with. It's just hilarious to ask her to learn a cover like Aint Talking 'Bout Love or something, and she's like "get me a copy and I will learn it" because she's never heard it before ... so we're all like ... "ahh never mind". HAHA.

Thanks again fellas!!
    To tell you the truth, I'm a huge Christina Aguilera fan too. She's easily one of the best female vocals alive, whether you like her mostly pop music or not. Maybe that's why I like your singer's voice. I think I can hear the influence a little. Having said that, buy her some VH albums hehehe.

Let me know if you guys are ever up in Illinois or close to here.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Nice work, Warmoth...
    Can't stop...addicted to the shindig...

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Outstanding, Warmoth! That gals definitely got some pipes!
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks again!!
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Fire in the Hole
    Last Online

12.26.11 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back to the original post...

I got the 5150 III right after it was released and I've loved it ever since. All three channels really have their own great character and there is a range of tones available that aren't strickly EVH oriented. Love the amp...looking forward to loving the guitar.
    Eddie and Dave...the way it was meant to be