All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:06 PM
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts

Donor

Default "Mystery of the Fair Warning tour footage" article

The Van Halen News Desk wrote an article about Van Halen's legendary 1981 concert footage filmed in Oakland.

I hope you guys like it! And I hope some day the question will be answered and we'll have it in our hands...

The Van Halen Holy Grail: 1981 Oakland Footage
    Mystery of the Fair Warning tour footage — Does a complete Oakland concert exist on film?

Also, Gibson.com picked up the story:
    Hopes Raised For Van Halen ‘Holy Grail’ Film Footage

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Excellent read. Thanks for posting.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

thanks for posting!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Thanks, that was a truly awesome read....

I really doubt that the footage does exist, but even more so I doubt that it would ever be released even if it does. However, modern technology makes even the worst of recordings transferable to good quality productions, but even if the footage does exist I seriously doubt Eddie would want to release an item that simply proves how Van Halen USED to be the pinnacle of rock n' roll, especially during a time when he is trying to break in his son and move forward with the band.

The footage itself, it is the stuff of legends. The Oakland videos are without a doubt in my mind, the absolute proof that Van Halen for however brief of a time, was at one point the most incredible rock group in the genre. Those performances are on par with anything any other group has ever done IMHO. Despite their brevity and the fact that there are only 3 videos, they are simply extraordinary.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Ed won't even release the footage from the last tour. I have no hopes of ever seeing more of the Fair Warning tour.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Even Mike said no. I don't know what more we need.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Dave said in an interview a couple years back, just before the reunion, that Ed does have stuff in his vault that should be released. He didn't say in the interview what exactly the stuff was, video or audio or both, but it did say that it is there. This is frustrating to no end. The other day VHI classic played a Thin Lizzy concert from 1977. I remember a few months back walking around a video store and seeing a full-legnth concert by Nazareth from back in the 70's. However we can't get squat from VH.

Anyway thanks for the article, neat. Frustrating but neat.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:50 PM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

Great article Jeff.

They definitely shot the whole shows... The roadie who said it was too expensive to film a whole show must of been joking or drunk or something... It would of been idiotic to pay for a film crew to come in and only film three songs. It doesn't make sense. whether the footage is good or not, I cant say, But the would of at least film one complete show. The fact that they were playing the same venue 3 nights in a row, makes me think they would of filmed all three.

Watch the footage... In "So this is Love", watch Dave's scarf disappear and reappear through out the song. Also, in "Unchained", after the guitar solo, just after the footage of Mikey slamming on his bass, you see Ed spin around to sing the chorus and he's got Franky in his hands. The rest of the song, he's got the "unchained B/W" guitar. Also, the VH logo lights, that was used after the encore as the band was leaving the stage. In some of the clips of "Hear about it Later", you can actually see them walking of stage, waving to the crowd. Actually, in the Guitar World CD Rom for the Fender Franky release, the same footage is shown and you can clear see them walking off. Its longer footage than in the "H.A.I.L" clip. They closed with "Aint talking 'bout Love" on that tour...

This leads me to believe that there is more footage...

Who knows....

I'd love to see more footage of the '79 Fresno footage, too. Killer stuff...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

07.19.15 @ 07:28 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

What about the fans?

To this day that has got to be the single most annoyed frustrating point of being a VH fan, the fact that every other band in the world release at least a good DVD of footage, concerts or documentary annually, completely pissed the hell out of me that VH cannot for the hell of it, release anything because Edward does not want to live in the past...
    Go ahead Edward tell that to Jimmy Page, Geddy Lee or even Metallica and see if you can win that argument.

PS. I truly believe that it's just laziness, because Edward does not want to sit down to review footage and remaster everything like Jimmy Page does for those documentaries.
    LONG LIVE VH... DESTROY HATERS!!!! MODE ON

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

It would be sweet to get those shows, but I'm sure there are other shows that are just as good if they were filmed. That was an era when VH brought it every single night with intense energy and insane ability. Any show would be awesome from the DLR era on DVD. Shit, just remaster the US Festival footage and ad some extra content and I would buy it. Not the best show they ever did, but you still get the idea.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

You know when we'll get a DVD of old footage? When Ed dies. Sadly, that's what it's gonna take. Then someone in the VH circle will step in - probably Wolfie - and use the common sense that Ed doesn't have and release some of this shit that should have been released years ago.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

This stuff must drive Dave crazy. Releasing this stuff keeps the Van Halen name out there and for Dave, who gets the whole marketing end of music, this must kill him.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    You know when we'll get a DVD of old footage? When Ed dies. Sadly, that's what it's gonna take. Then someone in the VH circle will step in - probably Wolfie - and use the common sense that Ed doesn't have and release some of this shit that should have been released years ago.

If Wolfie can persuade his Dad to bring Roth back, he can do the same when it comes to this stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 847 Times in 396 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Great article Jeff.

They definitely shot the whole shows... The roadie who said it was too expensive to film a whole show must of been joking or drunk or something... It would of been idiotic to pay for a film crew to come in and only film three songs. It doesn't make sense. whether the footage is good or not, I cant say, But the would of at least film one complete show. The fact that they were playing the same venue 3 nights in a row, makes me think they would of filmed all three.

Watch the footage... In "So this is Love", watch Dave's scarf disappear and reappear through out the song. Also, in "Unchained", after the guitar solo, just after the footage of Mikey slamming on his bass, you see Ed spin around to sing the chorus and he's got Franky in his hands. The rest of the song, he's got the "unchained B/W" guitar. Also, the VH logo lights, that was used after the encore as the band was leaving the stage. In some of the clips of "Hear about it Later", you can actually see them walking of stage, waving to the crowd. Actually, in the Guitar World CD Rom for the Fender Franky release, the same footage is shown and you can clear see them walking off. Its longer footage than in the "H.A.I.L" clip. They closed with "Aint talking 'bout Love" on that tour...

This leads me to believe that there is more footage...

Who knows....

I'd love to see more footage of the '79 Fresno footage, too. Killer stuff...

Excellen post. Every thing you so astutely noticed, I've noticed also. They shot the whole show. The above post proves it.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.11.15 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, I just went back and rewatched "So This Is Love," and you're right! If you're paying attention, it's really obvious that not all of that footage is from that song. Dave's scarf is all over the place: around his neck, on his mic, absent...and there are definitely times where what he's singing does not match what the song lyrics are at that time. Not like a time-delay thing from YouTube, but because he's singing different words (or singing words when there aren't any).

Man, I don't like to get high hopes in doubtful situations, but I'm going to have to believe they taped more than three songs.
    Van Halen will rock your face off!