Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Wife divorcing ex-CEO: $43 million not enough

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- A 36-year-old Swedish countess divorcing a former CEO says she cannot live on $43 million.

Marie Douglas-David, a former investment banker, says she has no income and needs her 67-year-old husband, George David, to pay her more than $53,000 a week - more than most U.S. households make in a year - to cover her expenses.

David stepped down last year as chief executive at Hartford-based United Technologies Corp. but is still chairman of the board and has an estimated net worth of $329 million. He and his wife accuse each other of extramarital affairs. Their divorce trial started Wednesday.

"I'm just very sad that we are where we are," Douglas-David said. "I hope we resolve this soon so everybody can move on with their lives."

David briefly took the stand Wednesday. Asked if his marriage is irretrievably broken, he simply answered, "Yes."

David and Douglas-David married in 2002, but the marriage was in trouble by 2004, court papers show. Amid a series of reconciliations, the couple signed a postnuptial agreement in October 2005 that would give her $43 million when they divorce.

Douglas-David wants the agreement invalidated. She accused her husband of coercing her to sign it by preying upon her fears of being divorced and childless. She's asking to be awarded about $100 million in cash and stock, plus $130,000 a month in alimony.

David is asking a judge to uphold the agreement and order Douglas-David to vacate their Park Avenue apartment but keep their properties in Sweden. His attorneys asked for a separate hearing Wednesday on the document's validity, but the judge declined.

Douglas-David has filed court papers showing she has more than $53,800 in weekly expenses, including for maintaining a Park Avenue apartment and three residences in Sweden. Her weekly expenses also include $700 for limousine service, $4,500 for clothes, $1,000 for hair and skin treatments, $1,500 for restaurants and entertainment, and $8,000 for travel.

At that rate, Douglas-David would burn through $43 million in less than 16 years. The Census Bureau estimates that the median U.S. household income in 2007 was just over $50,000.

Anne Dranginis, an attorney for David and retired Connecticut Appellate Court judge, predicted that Douglas-David will get much less money in the divorce if she doesn't accept the terms of the postnuptial.

In court papers, Douglas-David said she quit her job as an investment banker for Lazard Asset Management to travel and entertain with David, who still earns $1 million a year from United Technologies. While chief executive in 2007, David made nearly $27 million in salary and bonuses.

Douglas-David's legal team includes prominent New York divorce attorney William Beslow, who represented Mia Farrow in her child-custody suit against actor-director Woody Allen and Marla Maples in her divorce from Donald Trump.

United Technologies is the parent company of Carrier, which makes air conditioning units, and Otis Elevators. It also owns Sikorsky, which makes commercial and military helicopters, and Hamilton Sunstrand, an aerospace manufacturer that makes components for NASA's space program.

David is expected to return to the stand Thursday for several days of testimony.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Whore
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I never understand how these women sleep at night (other than under a duvet made $100 dollar bills).

Surely what they are doing is against EVERYTHING women have strived to overcome throughout the 20th Century?

This is one of those things that in years to come people will look back at the system and discuss how crazy it was and ultimately, how wrong it was. Read in the paper the other day that the wife of Formula 1 head Bernie Eccleston is demanding £1 BILLION in their divorce settlement. Surely there is something morally wrong with that? I think so anyway.

This will change at some point in the future.
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Rumor has it she's already dating Paul McCartney
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As my dad once told me after his last divorce, "The 1/2 that they take is the 1/2 you will miss"

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

"We make a lot of money, but we spend a lot of money" - Patrick Ewing
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Whore
    CORRECT...
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Amid a series of reconciliations, the couple signed a postnuptial agreement in October 2005 that would give her $43 million when they divorce.
    Uh...done deal there according to the letter of the law. Go home with your money and say hi to ABBA for me, bitch.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Ouch!! $43 million would do for me. I'm not greedy. It's one of those times when a guy wanted a trophy wife and wonders now why she's turned. Old man, young woman! When will you guys ever learn! By the look of it she's quite pretty. Not $1000/week bombshell pretty though so God knows what she has done to herself.

****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Make her live on welfare or minimum wage, then tell me you can't live off of it. This bitch should be shot. Anyone here who read about how Betsy Hagar handled Sam leaving her would realize how blessed that man is.
    Last edited by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love; 03.18.09 at 07:45 PM.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:36 PM
    Liked 797 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

There's the whore. I'm not sayin it wasn't worth it to the guy. lol
    Only one who needs to learn a lesson is her for demanding more now. She's a disgusting person to begin with.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by YO!Edward View Post
    I never understand how these women sleep at night (other than under a duvet made $100 dollar bills).

Surely what they are doing is against EVERYTHING women have strived to overcome throughout the 20th Century?
    This is one of those things that in years to come people will look back at the system and discuss how crazy it was and ultimately, how wrong it was. Read in the paper the other day that the wife of Formula 1 head Bernie Eccleston is demanding £1 BILLION in their divorce settlement. Surely there is something morally wrong with that? I think so anyway.

This will change at some point in the future.
    no this is everything the women's movement has strived FOR throughout the 20th century. Make no bones, there will be women celebrating this just like they do whenever a woman takes a man to the cleaners. A very vocal minority of women have managed to create a situation where men seemed to be getting payback for whatever sins they may have committed in eras gone by. if the tables were turned, the man would have a monumental task before him trying to get this kind of settlement from his rich wife. Same thing in family court where custody is concerned. Men have a much harder time getting custody of their children even when the women demonstrates a clear inability to raise their child and then there's the issue of date rape where women can claim rape the following morning after deciding they wish they hadn't had sex with the guy or if Daddy finds out his precious flower has been picked, she can claim rape. The legal system has tipped in favour of women in these three very important areas and it will be generations before we see it find some sort of balance.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    Make her live on welfare or minimum wage, then tell me you can't live off of it. This bitch should be shot. Anyone here who read about how Betsy Hagar handled Sam leaving her would realize how blessed that man is.
    Sorry, I'm in the dark on this one. What happened with the Betsy/Sammy thing?
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    Sorry, I'm in the dark on this one. What happened with the Betsy/Sammy thing?
    Basically, she let him screw her in the divorce settlement, rather than upset him.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

talk about greed. I have a friend that got divorced. His wife wanted the divorce. They are pretty wealthy. She wanted $30,000 a month in alimony plus child support for the two daughters. My friend had no problem with the child support aspect, but $30,000 a month for alimony, especially since he was wealthy before he married her, he felt was a little outrageous.

Anyway, in a very rare case (I call it rare because you don't often hear about these type of rulings), the judge actually ruled in favor of my friend, saying that the woman was showing signs of "blatant greed" and that "it could not possibly cost her $30,000 per month based on her living expenses...." and only granted her $3500 per month.

If you ask me we need more judges like that one.