Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Banned!
    Join Date
    03.06.09
    Posts
    1,235
    Last Online

    04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default The 5150 Color...........

    Well...this will be my next project. From the picts i could get, it seems the red on the 5150 is not the same as the franky, more orange maybe?...anyone as info on the color itself?...

    thanks yall

  2. #2
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Well...this will be my next project. From the picts i could get, it seems the red on the 5150 is not the same as the franky, more orange maybe?...anyone as info on the color itself?...

    thanks yall
    A few VH related boards builders suggest ReRanch Fiesta Red. I've seen some side by side comparisons, and it is pretty dead on. From what I've heard this red has a bit of translucency to it, and to acheive the desired result, each coat should be fairly light. I discovered the same thing using Duplicolor. I went a bit too heavy, and had to wait a day or two, resand and start over. Looked great, but still a little darker than the 5150. The Reranch looks awesome though. Just food for thought, but I've also noticed that the 5150 finish, at least the red was very thin. Also some guys as well as myself have noticed that the paint he used for the red, has faded considerably over the years. The first year of use, it looked almost like the same red as the Frankie, but around late 84 through OU812, it looked more orange. Could just be bad color setup of the mag shots I've seen, (We're talking old Hit Paraders here!) but even some of the higher quality mags like Guitar Player, and Guitar World, it just looked reder at that point. If it's a true nitro finish, and pictures we've seen on here as of late certainly suggest that, as there's substantial grain sinking, sunlight will fade bright nitro colors like red, and yellow, which is probably why so many have had a bitch of a time matching it.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 03.17.09 at 03:17 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  3. #3
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    02.05.09
    Posts
    105
    Last Online

    08.06.14 @ 09:56 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Wow and I thought that I was a hardcore Ed fan!


    cool

  4. #4
    Banned!
    Join Date
    03.06.09
    Posts
    1,235
    Last Online

    04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for the help Sleeper...

  5. #5
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.15.07
    Location
    Iowa/Illinois
    Posts
    1,807
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    A few VH related boards builders suggest ReRanch Fiesta Red. I've seen some side by side comparisons, and it is pretty dead on. From what I've heard this red has a bit of translucency to it, and to acheive the desired result, each coat should be fairly light. I discovered the same thing using Duplicolor. I went a bit too heavy, and had to wait a day or two, resand and start over. Looked great, but still a little darker than the 5150. The Reranch looks awesome though. Just food for thought, but I've also noticed that the 5150 finish, at least the red was very thin. Also some guys as well as myself have noticed that the paint he used for the red, has faded considerably over the years. The first year of use, it looked almost like the same red as the Frankie, but around late 84 through OU812, it looked more orange. Could just be bad color setup of the mag shots I've seen, (We're talking old Hit Paraders here!) but even some of the higher quality mags like Guitar Player, and Guitar World, it just looked reder at that point. If it's a true nitro finish, and pictures we've seen on here as of late certainly suggest that, as there's substantial grain sinking, sunlight will fade bright nitro colors like red, and yellow, which is probably why so many have had a bitch of a time matching it.
    Exactly. (Although I can't personally vouch for the re-ranch colors)

    I think a lot of the orangy look is the fact that you can still see a lot of the white thru the red top coat. Especially if you look at the more recent pics of the 5150, it looks like the red was only 1 or 2 coats.

  6. #6
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Thanks for the help Sleeper...
    No problem man! I did'nt 5150 out my guitar with that exact colour, I just really dig that red. I've had a hell of a time trying to nail it. Reranch stuff can be ordered online thru RERANCH.COM. If ordering online is a bit of a pain as most aerosols have to ship ground and you may have to wait a bit, then just go down to a good auto parts dealer that stocks Duplicolor. In reality, Duplicolor is an approximately similar acrylic laquer, which is beieved to be what Ed used on the Frankie when he said he used Schwinn bike paint. It's just a thin acrylic laquer that has good flowout characteristics so there's not as much orange peel when applied at the appropriate temp. range. They make tints for just about any color. I'd like to be able to quote you some but they are labeled on the cap with the auto manufacturer, then the color, then the year, in a UPC kind of format, and they add or revise all the time. Good luck, and have fun. AND POST SOME PICS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 03.17.09 at 03:52 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  7. #7
    Banned!
    Join Date
    03.06.09
    Posts
    1,235
    Last Online

    04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    No problem man! I did'nt 5150 out my guitar with that exact colour, I just really dig that red. I've had a hell of a time trying to nail it. Reranch stuff can be ordered online thru RERANCH.COM. If ordering online is a bit of a pain as most aerosols have to ship ground and you may have to wait a bit, then just go down to a good auto parts dealer that stocks Duplicolor. In reality, Duplicolor is an approximately similar acrylic laquer, which is beieved to be what Ed used on the Frankie when he said he used Schwinn bike paint. It's just a thin acrylic laquer that has good flowout characteristics so there's not as much orange peel when applied at the appropriate temp. range. They make tints for just about any color. I'd like to be able to quote you some but they are labeled on the cap with the auto manufacturer, then the color, then the year, in a UPC kind of format, and they add or revise all the time. Good luck, and have fun. AND POST SOME PICS!!!!!!!!!!!
    THanks..yeah..i used duplicolor on my franky..

  8. #8
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.04.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,058
    Last Online

    07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I used the same on both.
    If there is a contrast, it cant be that big.
    20 years difference in paintjobs is gonna be seen even if you did use the same paint.
    Just another one of those pointless arguments IMO.
    Every 5150 client loved the color. That's what counts
    It's in the eye of the beholder

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

    www.ronscustomguitars.com

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk sixstring's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.22.04
    Age
    45
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    9,852
    Favorite VH Album

    1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

    07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I used the ReRanch Fiesta Red for mine and I think it looks pretty damn close.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


    "20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

    "something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

    "in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

  10. #10
    Banned!
    Join Date
    03.06.09
    Posts
    1,235
    Last Online

    04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Shame the reranch stuff can't be shipped to Canada..

  11. #11
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Shame the reranch stuff can't be shipped to Canada..
    Actually SEM and Reranch stuff does come to Canada, but I think they come in through a redestributor. I live in BC, and have seen both. I think what happens is the redistributor (at least in my area) gets it ground shipped to Washington State and it is brought across there. Every now and then these products do hit customs snags. The SEM stuff does for sure. I know a guy through a major auto parts chain that gets it in, but he does say he has a hell of a time, but since it's a great product and in demand, it's worth the effort. You mat just have to do some checking around. I'll do the same, and maybe we can brainstorm and find out where you can get it. If not, you can try an auto finish supply store and ask for Fiesta Red. It's actually based on the Ford Fiesta color.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  12. #12
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Well sorry for the bum info man. I just got off the phone with my guy, and he says that over the past 6 months, Reranch is now next to impossible to get through to Canada (although there are still some backdoor distributors but they are usually the friend of a friend who knows an associate kind of deals!). He said he argued with customs tooth and nail because nitrocellulose laquer is sold in Canada so why is there a restriction even if shipped ground? I don't know the answer. He suggested to go through Mohawk Finishes. (Just check out their site) They sell base Nitro and as well, will tint to whatever you need. (if you want to buy your own aerosol setup. not that expensive) Just quote them Ford Fiesta Red, or send them a swatch cut from a photo. They won't spectro it (very hard to spectro a mag photo) but can get very close I've used their laquer and can vouch for them. Very good quality. The SYY Red is very close, and a slightly oranger red is the French Country Red. They have an outlet in Vancouver, as well as other Canadian cities.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 03.18.09 at 08:05 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  13. #13
    Romeo Delight throb's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.10.03
    Age
    49
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    87
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Little Guitars
    Last Online

    07.20.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

    Default

    maybe this one is close to ed's 5150 color....what do you guys think?



    it's called montana gold blood orange. here's the site:
    http://www.fineartstore.com/Catalog/...ost%2CUnitCost


    just a thought....

  14. #14
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.23.04
    Age
    46
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    712
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I've often wondered and don't recall anyone saying...did the Frankie and 5150 get primer on them, or did Eddie just hit them with the colors and tapes and they were done? -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

  15. #15
    Banned!
    Join Date
    03.06.09
    Posts
    1,235
    Last Online

    04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    From the Picts i've gathered, it seems like straight white and red on top. does'nt look like there is any primer.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Poll,Ed's fav.Wolfgang color?
    By Wolfgang Bob in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05.21.07, 08:56 AM
  2. some color thoughts
    By Mikey Metalhead in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01.31.07, 06:25 PM
  3. new color scheme
    By Steve Savicki in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05.14.02, 09:28 AM
  4. The color pink and peppermint scones....
    By AbeVanHalen in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03.30.01, 10:25 PM
  5. New Wolfgang Color
    By kpl in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07.17.00, 07:53 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •