Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Steve Martin is the man...

The Wife just sent me this gem.

http://www.blueoregon.com/2009/03/tr...democrats.html

True Class: Steve Martin and the Eastern Oregon College Democrats
    Kari Chisholm

You know what makes me crazy? When the self-appointed guardians of righteousness stir up a ruckus over a school play that's been selected by a high school drama teacher and his or her students. Even worse is when school administrators buckle to the pressure.

At La Grande High School, student actors have been rehearsing for a play called Picasso at the Lapin Agile -- written by the well-known comic actor Steve Martin. (The play features a conversation in a bar between Pablo Picasso and Albert Einstein.) The play, scheduled to go on stage at the end of April, has earned a protest from a local mother - who objected to:

18 instances of profanity, 15 instances of "religious exclamation or religious profanities," 22 instances of sexual references or sexual content and 17 instances of alcohol use.
    How shocking was the content? Here's one of the objectionable passages, per the La Grande Observer, is a bit of dialogue (by a female character):

"Then I thought, why is it that someone who wants me can hang around for months, and I even like him but I'm not going to sleep with him, but someone else says the right thing and I'm on my back, not knowing what hit me."
    Shocking, I know!

Ugh. You'll find more shocking stuff in an after-school special. And nevermind that characters behave badly in literature often as cautionary tales. As the teacher, Kevin Cahill, noted at a school board meeting:

"Comedy makes us laugh first, reflect later. Steve Martin invites us to do both. Laughing at sex isn’t the same as endorsing it," Cahill said.
    Once it became clear that the school district was going to cease the school-funded production, the College Democrats at Eastern Oregon University did something amazing: They stepped up, rented a space on their own campus, and offered to raise the money to put on the production.

The EOU Student Democrats will handle all the arrangements including fund raising and providing set materials and costumes. No materials or items from La Grande High School can be used because the school district banned the production.
    The play will likely be staged in May, according to Casey Dreher, president of the EOU Student Democrats.

The total expense of sponsoring the production will include the rental of space and payments for lighting and sound technicians and custodians. Because of things like personnel costs, it is not yet precisely known what the play will cost.

Members of the EOU Student Democrats decided to step forward after attending the Feb. 25 school board meeting at which an appeal of Glaze’s decision was denied.

"I was appalled," Dreher said. "The people who got the play canceled were not the majority."

But that's not the end of the story. In an only-in-the-movies plot twist, Steve Martin himself has now offered to finance the production at EOU himself. He made the offer in a letter to the La Grande Observer:

It has come to my attention that there is a controversy regarding my play, "Picasso at the Lapin Agile," which was to be produced at your local high school.
    First let me compliment Mr. Kevin Cahill, the teacher who selected the play, on his excellent taste! The play has been performed, without incident, all over the world by professional and amateur companies, including many high schools. ...

I have heard that some in your community have characterized the play as “people drinking in bars, and treating women as sex objects.” With apologies to William Shakespeare, this is like calling Hamlet a play about a castle. ...

Pablo Picasso, as a historical figure, does not come gift-wrapped for the sensitive. He lived as he painted, fully sexual and fully daring, and in the play he is chastised by a sage bartendress for his cavalier behavior toward women. ...

So while the question of whether students should perform the play at their high school remains something to be determined by the community, I firmly believe that seeing the play will bring no harm to them and might well uplift them — and acting in the play, if they are permitted by their parents, would also bring them no harm, and may help them to understand the potency, power and beauty of the arts and sciences. ...

To prevent the play from acquiring a reputation it does not deserve, I would like to offer this proposal: I will finance a non-profit, off-high school campus production (low-budget, I hope!), supervised and/or directed by Mr. Cahill and cast at his discretion, so that individuals, outside the jurisdiction of the school board but within the guarantees of freedom of expression provided by the Constitution of the United States, can determine whether they will or will not see the play, even if they are under 18.

I predict that the experience will not be damaging, but meaningful.

For a wild and crazy guy, that was one classy move.

And here's to the EOU College Democrats, who kept their cool and showed real leadership when the adults all around were collapsing into fits of moral hyperventilation.

-----------------------------

I have nothing but respect for Steve Martin as an artist of the highest caliber. A phenomenal comedian, one of the most passionate dramatic actors you'll see, one HELLUVA musician, and a tremendous writer. This story exemplifies his profound intelligence and altruism.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

And to the aformentioned "local mother".....

Ha Ha!

The show goes on, biotch!
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd like to think that any playwright, living or dead, would take the same actions. Afterall, playwrights have always gone to the extreme to have their works heard and performed. I applaud Steve Martin for his classy and quick reply and offer in the face of this laughable situation. If nothing else, this incident gave the students a great lesson in the rewards of civil rights.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:40 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Classy move on Mr. Martins part. This just gives me one more reason to like him. His most recent book "Born Standing Up" is very good.

Speaking of sex jokes...
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Steve Martin is one wild and crazy guy. Very nice of him to make the offer.

I watched The Jerk and was surprised that it was rated R. It would probably rate a PG-13 nowadays - at least I think so.

Navin R. Johnson is going to be somebody (with a special purpose).
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithjc View Post
    Steve Martin is one wild and crazy guy. Very nice of him to make the offer.

I watched The Jerk and was surprised that it was rated R. It would probably rate a PG-13 nowadays - at least I think so.

Navin R. Johnson is going to be somebody (with a special purpose).
    you know I've never seen that movie in it's entirity, just bits and pieces. Perhaps it's time to Netflix it.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yes it's way past time.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

This is a very cool thing for Steve Martin to do.

I'm surprised that no one raised a fuss about my nieces high school doing, "Is He Dead?" which was adapted from a screenplay written by Mark Twain. Twain didn't pull any punches when it came to stereotypes, and this play was full of stuff that parents could have objected to. One of the lines in the play, which was spoken by the Irish character: "Well then, ye can go to hell!"

There was some slight profanity in it, but it was FUNNY, and like the teacher, Kevin Cahill said about the Steve Martin play, "Comedy makes us laugh first, reflect later. Steve Martin invites us to do both. Laughing at sex isn’t the same as endorsing it."

I've laughed so hard at the show Will & Grace that I thought my sides were going to split. Does that mean that I'm going to become gay? Not hardly!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)