Thread: FRACTAL AXE FX

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

01.26.13 @ 09:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default FRACTAL AXE FX

i bought one of these processors a few weeks ago. i wanted to get rid of all my pedals and clear up a little space on my floor and aquire better effects in the process. i was looking at a g-force and an eclipse until i saw a ad on ebay where the seller was selling one of these (i forget which one it was) because he started using an axe fx. after reading that, i figured i may as well research that one also. i searched out all the reviews in could find and except for one person, everyone was raving about this thing. i decided to pull the trigger on an ultra model. i really never planned on using the preamp section of the unit only the effects. i hooked it up so that i could have effects before and after my amp (the preamp of the real amp is hookied into the effects loop send/return of the processor and there is an effects block on the unit labeled "fxloop"). i started out that way for a couple days and was just uning the delay, reverb, and chorus and was pretty much blown away with the quality of the effects. after a couple days i decided to start trying out some of the amp simulators and factory presets. to make a long story short, lets just say i dont use my 5150 iii preamp anymore. i have found some really nice presets for hard rock. most of the effects in them were "overeffected". once turned down, they sound incredible. i havent yet made any of these from scratch yet but have mostly been using presets labeled "crazy train" and "modern eddie". as for clean stuff, i found a few really nice ones and put together one from scratch thats supposed to emulate an acoustic simulator. with a little researching i came up with one that sound really nice. i can now get rid of the acoustic pedal i have. the only thing i havent done it dial in a good medium gain preset. ill probably do that next week. this thing also has cabinet simulators which i am unable to use. you need to be using full range speakers to use them. im still going into a half stack so i cant comment on those. i am really happy with the purchase and although this thing is more complicated than my pedals were, its easier to use than what i had a long time ago (digitech 2112). there is a learning curve and every effect including the amp simulators have about 20 parameters to adjust as oppsed to 3-5, this thing flat out rips. as for the "tube" sound, even though there isnt a tube in it, it really nails it. i give it a 10.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I played this thing at the LA amp show and was blown away. they had it hooked up to 2 atomic powered cabs with 6l6s and every preamp model that i heard was big, thick and shook the walls! Very real. The soldanos and hot rod plexi sounds were very impresive.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ANTHONY5150 View Post
    i bought one of these processors a few weeks ago. i wanted to get rid of all my pedals and clear up a little space on my floor and aquire better effects in the process. i was looking at a g-force and an eclipse until i saw a ad on ebay where the seller was selling one of these (i forget which one it was) because he started using an axe fx. after reading that, i figured i may as well research that one also. i searched out all the reviews in could find and except for one person, everyone was raving about this thing. i decided to pull the trigger on an ultra model. i really never planned on using the preamp section of the unit only the effects. i hooked it up so that i could have effects before and after my amp (the preamp of the real amp is hookied into the effects loop send/return of the processor and there is an effects block on the unit labeled "fxloop"). i started out that way for a couple days and was just uning the delay, reverb, and chorus and was pretty much blown away with the quality of the effects. after a couple days i decided to start trying out some of the amp simulators and factory presets. to make a long story short, lets just say i dont use my 5150 iii preamp anymore. i have found some really nice presets for hard rock. most of the effects in them were "overeffected". once turned down, they sound incredible. i havent yet made any of these from scratch yet but have mostly been using presets labeled "crazy train" and "modern eddie". as for clean stuff, i found a few really nice ones and put together one from scratch thats supposed to emulate an acoustic simulator. with a little researching i came up with one that sound really nice. i can now get rid of the acoustic pedal i have. the only thing i havent done it dial in a good medium gain preset. ill probably do that next week. this thing also has cabinet simulators which i am unable to use. you need to be using full range speakers to use them. im still going into a half stack so i cant comment on those. i am really happy with the purchase and although this thing is more complicated than my pedals were, its easier to use than what i had a long time ago (digitech 2112). there is a learning curve and every effect including the amp simulators have about 20 parameters to adjust as oppsed to 3-5, this thing flat out rips. as for the "tube" sound, even though there isnt a tube in it, it really nails it. i give it a 10.

the atomic cabs they used were full range too. Chest thumping bottom end.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

I've heard nothing but good things about them. I wish I could afford one.