Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Pawn shop bought Fender Strat old relic project...

Well, as some of you might have read in another thread, I was lucky enough to find some old Strat at a pawn shop. It's got the "70's strat" logo and all, so I'm assuming it's a 70's model.

It was completely beat to shreds when I found it -- it's missing the 6th tuner... which must have been lost with the chunk of the headstock that is missing. The rest of the tuners on there look like 80's or 90's replacements (definitely not stock). It has a 'route' for a humbucker. It looks like someone did a pretty good job, probably in the 80's when the humbucker-strat craze took over, and they even slopped on some shielding paint. But they didn't apparently route the nicely shaped hole big enough, because then there are some huge chisel marks around some of the edges. There is also what looks to be an attempted neck HB chiseling, but it is just not quite complete. The guitar has a 1 ply white pickguard (which I have researched, and I don't think it is original...). Right now it is Humbucker-single-single, but the guitar came missing the humbucker.

By the way, any ideas what would be a good higher powered humbucker that would sound good in an old heavy strat? I think I also want to coil tap it.

The body is also in REALLY nasty shape, with a lot of the finish worn or scratched off. Also, some of the electronics don't look like they are original, or they are plain missing. The middle pickup is destroyed -- literally. Like I said before, it looks like whoever played this guitar used a thick steel pick (or screwdriver). On the top side of the middle pickup, where you strum, the pickguard is worn away pretty bad, and that middle pickup has lost a lot of the edge of it's cover. It is down to the windings at the edge, so I know it doesn't work...

But I thought since this guitar was not even close to 'in playing' condition, it would be a good guitar to get up and playing again -- no matter what it takes. So I took everything apart, gave it a good cleaning, and I decided to put some Minwax Satin wipe-on Poly over the bare wood spots. It might not look perfectly authentic any more, but hey, I wanna be able to play it without having rough surfaces all over the place and even splinters... So far the Poly has taken really well to the wood (especially in the bare spots of course) but it has also gone right over the paint and wood sealer in the places where I overlapped it without any trouble. Yay! I did leave the back of the neck like it was though -- I love necks that have the finishes worn bare.

My next task is to find a 6th tuner, and figure out another place to re-drill a hole to mount it, since the original 6th tuner hole is half broken out, and there is a chunk of headstock missing there. No chance a new tuner would be stable there -- nothing to mount to. I'm thinking I'll go Kramer 5150 style, with the "7th" tuner down on the bottom side of the headstock, since I'd rather not cut off the whole end of the headstock, and then mess with gluing on a new piece, shaping it, etc.etc. I will also try to take some pics soon and post them as I make progress. Those lame Fender road worn guitars got nothing on this REAL road worn guitar!

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

No offense....great story....but this thread is useless without some photos!

If it were me...get a Seymore Duncan 78 EVH...best pickup I own and I have two other humbucker guitars.

Would love to see this beast you are describing.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    No offense....great story....but this thread is useless without some photos!

If it were me...get a Seymore Duncan 78 EVH...best pickup I own and I have two other humbucker guitars.

Would love to see this beast you are describing.
    I know, I gotta put up some pics -- my camera is out of batteries, and I was too lazy to go get some more today. I should be able to post some pics this weekend or sometime soon (I'm gonna be busy most of this week).

I was seriously looking at the Duncan EVH, but I don't wanna spend that much on this guitar. Also, I don't know if that pickup is coil tapped. Since I'm missing the middle pickup, and since the guitar is a strat after all, I'd really like to be able to go into split coil mode and get a single coil sound out of the bridge humbucker on this guitar.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love beaten guitars!!! Show me the pics, mate!!!
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I know, I gotta put up some pics -- my camera is out of batteries, and I was too lazy to go get some more today. I should be able to post some pics this weekend or sometime soon (I'm gonna be busy most of this week).

I was seriously looking at the Duncan EVH, but I don't wanna spend that much on this guitar. Also, I don't know if that pickup is coil tapped. Since I'm missing the middle pickup, and since the guitar is a strat after all, I'd really like to be able to go into split coil mode and get a single coil sound out of the bridge humbucker on this guitar.

Do a GFS VEH, then. It can be coil-tapped, and it's cheap as chips.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    Do a GFS VEH, then. It can be coil-tapped, and it's cheap as chips.
    I've got one already in a guitar. But that guitar is about the lightest, most resonant, and brightest natural-toned guitar I have ever heard... maybe it is just that guitar + the VEH, but for this one, I'd rather get something less bright and choppy... something that still has the power, but has the smoothness too. Kinda like a Tone Zone (a Tone Zone wouldn't sound good in this guitar though, since it is meant for really bright guitars.)

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

How about a duncan JB? hotter and yet PAF style....

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    How about a duncan JB? hotter and yet PAF style....
    That could be good. I'm really thinkin' about that or the Custom Custom. They seem like a good bet in a heavy Alder guitar.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

a duncan pearly gates, i have them in several strats and they sound awesome, plus you can tap them.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    a duncan pearly gates, i have them in several strats and they sound awesome, plus you can tap them.
    See, that's another one that I had forgotten about. Got any sound clips?

EDIT:

Actually, I just found some sweet clips on Youtube. I even found one where the guy tapped the bridge HB. I think I just might get a Pearly Gates....
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 03.17.09 at 10:38 AM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

See, that's another one that I had forgotten about. Got any sound clips?

EDIT:

Actually, I just found some sweet clips on Youtube. I even found one where the guy tapped the bridge HB. I think I just might get a Pearly Gates....
    Dude, you wont be dissapointed, i have them in strats and my Kramer, and play them through a 5150, jcm 800 and an SLO100 the things are awesome they have a great punchy "bark" to them and clean up real nice when you back off the vol pot, plus you can use them for pretty much all types of music, the bands i play in vary from blues through to modern metal (avenged sevenfold etc) and the pearly copes with all of it perfectly.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Dude, you wont be dissapointed, i have them in strats and my Kramer, and play them through a 5150, jcm 800 and an SLO100 the things are awesome they have a great punchy "bark" to them and clean up real nice when you back off the vol pot, plus you can use them for pretty much all types of music, the bands i play in vary from blues through to modern metal (avenged sevenfold etc) and the pearly copes with all of it perfectly.
    Thanks a lot man! Your band seems to be a lot like mine, as far as musical styles. I usually prefer a Tone Zone in a maple cap guitar, but this should do the trick for a heavy strat.

Also, it's REALLY good to know that you like it through those amps. I have an original block letter 5150, and someday I'm sure I'll have either an SLO 100 or a clone. So that covers 2 of the 3 amps I'll probably ever be playing on!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I borrowed a camera, so I got a pic a few days ago -- sorry, but I only had the neck out that day to work on. I'll get some pics of the body up soon.

This is it before I added a few coats of wipe on poly. Like I said before when I put the poly over portions of the body, I know it makes it less authentic, but I really want to use this guitar and rough wood spots with splinters is not an option .

In person, it has a slight darker tint to the headstock wood where the finish isn't knocked off, but it's hard to see in the pic because the sun was blasting in on it. I'm just glad it doesn't have that nasty yellowed look like some of the old strats you see around.

And the 7th tuner hole is where I decided to drill so the 6th tuner will have somewhere to go.

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking good!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ok, I borrowed a camera, so I got a pic a few days ago -- sorry, but I only had the neck out that day to work on. I'll get some pics of the body up soon.

This is it before I added a few coats of wipe on poly. Like I said before when I put the poly over portions of the body, I know it makes it less authentic, but I really want to use this guitar and rough wood spots with splinters is not an option .

In person, it has a slight darker tint to the headstock wood where the finish isn't knocked off, but it's hard to see in the pic because the sun was blasting in on it. I'm just glad it doesn't have that nasty yellowed look like some of the old strats you see around.

And the 7th tuner hole is where I decided to drill so the 6th tuner will have somewhere to go.
    Sorry if you posted and I did not see it, but is it originally a 3-bolt micro tilt neck? Man! That's quite a gash out of 'er! I ain't complaining! Gash is good.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.