VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Default Artists, Managers scalping their own tickets

Is anyone surprised?

And of course Azoff and TicketMonster are right in the middle of it.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123672740386088613.html

Anti-Trust anyone?

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Not surprised at all and I doubt it will end any time soon. Especially not with the monopoly of Live Nation/Ticketbastard. From what I can remember it seemed to all start when that ILAA shit started back in 04. On the other hand a lot of bands have offered "premium" seats to members of their fanclub, although the fanclub membership was usually between free and $30.00, which was nowhere near the $500.00 and up ILAA was charging for up close seats.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It's a fucking joke anymore. You have tickets that cost over $100 a pop and then you have the artists themselves ripping you off on top of that.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I HATE scalping. I hate it as much as anything in the world today. I hate the fact that on the first day of tickets being onsale, there are no seats within the first 20 rows. I hate the fact that ticketmaster and other outlets are NOT HONEST about where these tickets vanished to. I hate the fact that tickets miraculously appear on scalping sites minutes later for 10X the face value. I hate the fact that they lie about how they got them. I hate the fact that people PAY these prices for the tickets thus justifying the business practice and putting their stamp of approval.

People love to bitch but they keep buying the damn tickets. WHY!?! If people simply boycotted VIP packs, simply boycotted scalping agencies, simply refused to pay anything over the face value of the ticket, this would end. Period.

This is one of the most crooked and vile businesses in our nation and yet the public buys right into it every time a show comes up because they are ALWAYS sold out. Those first 20 rows are always packed. Why?!

Why not send these lying, arrogant, greedy bastards a message? Keep you'r fucking tickets and stick 'em up your ass. It's what I do and it's what I challenge ALL of you to do. I don't care who the artist is...fuck 'em. Fuck them, fuck ticketmaster, fuck the promotion company, fuck the venue, fuck the scalpers.

This isn't a place for legislation. Congress doesn't need to get involved. WE THE PEOPLE, the AUDIENCE, need to change the system by simply not purchasing tickets above their face value...plain and simple. If the tickets don't sell at the inflated prices, the scalpers will lower their prices. Eventually it won't be a profitable business.

And please save the "but there will always be people who pay for premium seats." I'm sure they will and they can fuck off too because they are the real culprit here. Until everyone takes a stand against this sort of thing, in every form of business, then ALL of us will continue to pay higher prices and get screwed day in and day out.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

And while we're at it, let's stop paying outrageous prices for ballpark and theatre concessions, too!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    And while we're at it, let's stop paying outrageous prices for ballpark and theatre concessions, too!
    damn straight. Bottom line is that people have become complacent and pay whatever they are told to pay because they don't want to deal with having to make an effort to change anything.

Take electricity. Reliant here in Houston has "plans" that run anywhere from 16 cents to 10 cents. That means that they can run at a very good profit while charging 10 cents. Why charge 16? What that also tells me is that they can probably do quite well at 8 cents.

What would happen if the entire city of houston simply said "you know what? I'm not paying my reliant bill. They're screwing us. Fuck 'em." Reliant would lose a BILLION dollars inside of a month. THAT my friends is a message. What are they going to do? Cut off EVERYONE'S electricity? What good will that do? If consumers went on strike and did not cross the picket line, things would change. Reliant would come to the consumers BEGGING us to pay and asking what we are WILLING to pay.

But we've lost that sense of pride and discipline...that sense of taking control. Too many people would cross the line as soon as they miss an episode of Survivor.

Concert tickets are the most grotesque example of this...people just keep paying 2000 bucks for Jonas Brothers tickets and 2000 dollars for VH pit tickets and 2000 for Garth Brooks tickets and so on so forth. We've no one to blame but ourselves.

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.11.15 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Well, I've done my part in my little corner of the world and have not bought theater concessions in my life. Even if I have the money, I refuse to pay $3.50 for a 20 oz. Coke. And I know places that try and sell Cokes for more. It's ridiculous. I'm sure my boycotting has cost the theater a grand total of less than $20, though - it's a single drop in a big, big bucket.

Tickets, though, are kind of a different deal. If you're thirsty at the movie theater, you can wait 2 hours and buy a $.50 12-oz at the gas station across the street, or you can use the drinking fountain in the lobby. If you want to attend, say, a Van Halen show, you can't wait until after the show and buy the tour's DVD (well, assuming they exist) and count it the same as attending the show. And if you're looking for cheap 'drinking fountain' tickets, forget it!
    Van Halen will rock your face off!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Why you can't get tickets to the hottest concerts

Inside the secret world of concert ticket sales: When you try to buy seats to see your favorite artist, ever wonder why they sell out so quickly? The answer may surprise you.

We've all been there. You want to see Maroon 5, or Pink. Your kids want tickets to Justin Bieber. The minute tickets go on sale you go online, credit card ready, and guess what? You're shut out. Entire arenas, sold out like that. So where do those tickets really go? We're pulling back the curtain to show you who's really getting those seats.

They're the hottest tickets in town, from Bieber to Pink to One Direction. For 11-year-old Jayden, One Direction would be a dream come true. So her mom tried to surprise her, going online to buy tickets the second they went on sale.

"Ten o'clock came, I pressed for, you know, 'best available,'" A.J. Hutchinson told us. "No tickets -- sorry, no tickets available. It's become impossible for the average person to get tickets."

So what's really going on here? Jon Potter is with Fan Freedom Project, a fans' rights group funded by ticket reseller StubHub, and what he found may stun you: By the time tickets officially go on sale, most may already be unavailable. "A huge percentage of these tickets will have already been sold before you have a chance to buy the two that you want," he told us.

"Who's getting them?" we asked.

"They're giving them to the high-end credit card holders who get the email three days before you ever knew the concert was going on sale. They're giving them to the fan club. And then many of them go to the artist or to the venue," Potter explained.

And, he said, the numbers for many concerts are staggering. For a One Direction show in New Jersey this month, documents reveal at least 64 percent of tickets were held back or sold to special groups, unavailable to everybody else.

Then there's Maroon 5. At a recent concert, same thing: 64 percent earmarked for VIPs and special groups. And even higher for Pink: For her concert at New Jersey's Izod Center, at least 77 percent of tickets of tickets were reserved for those special groups. The rest of the public had to fight for what was left.

But the most dramatic example is Justin Bieber. At his concert in Fresno, Calif., 92 percent of tickets went to special groups or were held back entirely. That means that of 12,000 seats, only 940 were set aside for the official sale date.

"This is very secretive," Potter told us. "There's only a few people in the room when they decide who's going to get tickets. They do not want us to know that artists are themselves holding back tickets, that venues are holding back tickets."

None of the artists would comment for our story. But a major tour company, Live Nation, told us presales are "open to the public" and "fans can participate in easily accessible ways."

But critics say they're not being open with fans. "The little guy gets shafted, as usual," said New Jersey Rep. Bill Pascrell.

Pascrell says this industry is out of control. Now he's drafted legislation for government oversight. "What I want is that people will know ahead of time how many tickets are going to go on sale for the general public," he told us.

"You want transparency," we said.

"Exactly what we don't have now is transparency," Pascrell agreed.

But tour promoters are fighting it, saying being more open would only help the scalpers. The congressman is trying to stop them too, making it illegal for professional scalpers to use high-tech computer programs to scoop up tons of tickets. "Thousands of tickets which you (and) I don't have a chance at," Pascrell explained.

"(That we'd) have to buy at a jacked-up price from the broker," we said.

"And that's what's happening right now. Give us some protection, that's what I'm talking about," Pascrell said.

So how do you get those tickets? There is no guarantee that you will. But, good news: We do have some tips to increase your odds.

Here's the takeaway: If you want to see an artist in concert, join their fan club. It's usually free to sign up online. That gives you access to some of those tickets.

Here's another tip: Be flexible. Wait until the day before the show to buy seats. Two reasons why: Some of those held-back tickets that aren't used may end up back at the box office for sale at the last minute. And if you're looking online, the prices often drop close to the show, as brokers try to unload tickets.

In response to our report, Live Nation issued this statement:

“More than 11k One Direction tickets were made available to fans. These were available through various onsales. The One Direction ticket sales -- as is typical -- were open, public, advertised in a variety of ways and included on the One Direction Facebook page. The claim that only 4k tickets were made available is untrue and used to manipulate fans to drive them to secondary ticket sites. “

http://www.today.com/news/why-you-ca...rts-6C10505415
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I will never buy tickets any earlier than the day of the show ever again. And I probably won't even buy them then but just walk up day of and get them.

Every time I click that button when they first go on sale I'm in the back corner of the bowl no matter what. Seriously???
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I knew about this in 2007 when Van Halen came to town.

I was told by a broker (who coincidently enough I think It's Mike put me in touch with lol) that the promoters are the ones providing the tickets to the scalpers.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I knew about this in 2007 when Van Halen came to town.

I was told by a broker (who coincidently enough I think It's Mike put me in touch with lol) that the promoters are the ones providing the tickets to the scalpers.
    this has been happening forever. Nothing new about it and to be honest there isn't much wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. Scalpers are gonna get their hands on a bunch of tickets anyways - might as well give some of that money back to the artist. Long term I think the answer to this will be to auction off all of the premium seats. That's already whats being done for the most part behind the scenes, they as well be honest about it and cut out the middle man completely.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Feel Your Love Tonight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

The way tickets are handled these days is pretty depressing. I'm not super old, but I remember when I was in my late teens, early 20s trying to get concert tickets. There was a Christian Book store out in BFE that had a Ticketmaster Outlet inside, and me along with a few others would show up there in the middle of the night and wait till the tickets went on sale at 10am. I remember getting tix by camping out at this place to AC/DC, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Stone Temple Pilots, Steve Miller Band (and pry a few others that elude me at this moment.) Every time, the tickets were well worth the wait and on the floor relatively close to the stage. I had front row to Steve Miller & ZZ Top, and the others were good as well, just by waiting in line and toughing it out. It made me feel good, because I felt like I was a dedicated true fan and earned the right to buy those tickets at face value because I stuck it out in line and waited for hours. That won't do anyone any good today with the before mentioned scalping and holding back of tickets. Not to mention everyone online right at 10 searching for best available (and as mentioned, they're getting the shaft too). I miss what I consider to be the good old days sometimes, at least when it comes to this.