Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Has Eddie's Lawyers Eased up?

I saw a couple of non EVH-sanctioned replicas on Ebay yesterday. I didn't bookmark them 'cos frankly, I am not interested all that much. Besides, none of them were nearly as good as what the members of this forum have put out...

I should check through just for grins and bookmark them. One had a licensed Floyd with a zinc block and no reflectors.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I used to post em on the Bay just for the exsposure. It would get yanked within three days. The last time one was only up 12 hours. eBay sent me a letter stating Eddie's lawers wrote em and told em to kick me off for life if I did it again. Haven't put one up since. That was four yeas ago.
    E.L.V.H. has my number now. I wont even chance it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    I used to post em on the Bay just for the exsposure. It would get yanked within three days. The last time one was only up 12 hours. eBay sent me a letter stating Eddie's lawers wrote em and told em to kick me off for life if I did it again. Haven't put one up since. That was four yeas ago.
    E.L.V.H. has my number now. I wont even chance it.

Your replicas are worth getting scared over by ELVH's lawyers.

Yeah- I saw a Frankenstein w/licensed Floyd and no reflectors and the black and white, again quite a few glaring omissions. I should check back...
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    Your replicas are worth getting scared over by ELVH's lawyers.

Yeah- I saw a Frankenstein w/licensed Floyd and no reflectors and the black and white, again quite a few glaring omissions. I should check back...
    yep,..mine was taken after 24 hrs or so...but was enought to generate a LOAD of buzz and interest. Hey..i'm all for royalties and stuff, but Eddie's gone off the wall with this stuff. i mean copyright strips!..that's pussing it, you're a musician Eddie!...remenber!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My guess is now that the EVH brand is well established, and the official Frankenstein has finally been released, they've got bigger fish to fry now. I had heared from one guy on "that other board" that the primary concern as far as the seemingly over zealous legal issues over other peoples replicas, or putting a stop to anything striped similarily, was because the company was just starting out and they did not want any detraction from their "real" product. From a business stanpoint, I totally get that.
    If I was starting a company offering products that I fealt the public would want, then someone who knew what I was offering decided to undercut me and sell my idea as i was starting out for way less money (inferior or not). On the other hand I think that when you put into account what Eddie's state of mind was during the inception of the EVH brand, given what Valerie, Sam and others have been commenting about, that he was basically suffering from paranoid dillusional condition, that he decided on a blanket order regarding all things associated with his persona or "intellectual property".
    That said though, I think we see Ed's guitar and design as almost a kind of Rock & Roll public domain. It's one of the most recognizable guitars in history. It has a legend all it's own. it defies logic that something that looks so ratty and broken down could possibly sound so devastating. As a kid, we all wanted one like it. I too have seen alot more guitars on Ebay with similarities to his design and no action is being taken. So maybe he has eased up on things. He's always had periods where he's been a bit touchy about people copping his ideas or techniques, but as time goes on he's also changed his opinions over the years.
    I think too that you also have to put into account the state of the music industry in general. I mean let's face it. For a musician, music sales are your bread and butter. How many people buy CD's now? Most people i know, usually go through ITunes, and buy one or two songs, or they download an album for free on a torrent site. I know a guy at work who proudly admits he has not bought a CD or rented or bought a movie in 5 or 6 years! (and he's got a shitload of media). I imagine at the time Ed probably thought EVH was going to be his bread and butter. After 2004, he really had no prospects. Since then though, he's apperently gotten sober. He's toured. He seems happy and healthy and starting a new life married. Things take on a different perspective. Maybe above all else this is a good sign.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 03.10.09 at 06:45 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still wont do it.
    He even had my guitar yanked off Craigslist.
    Could you imagine the amout of money paid to people to look at every musical instriment sales in every city in the USA?
    No wonder he needs money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

I also think this has gone beyond the ELVH lawyers. This is now a Fender issue since they make the replica Frankie.

I think they are also on the prowl for replica's and will use their pull and resources to find those who want to profit on it.

As a business person I totally understand the rationale for seeking those trying to make money on this copyrighted design. I also don't think that these replica guitars should be advertised on eBay or Craigslist. We can keep our own little community here and privately do what we want with them.

I know of several people who make these guitars on here and the work they do is incredible. Better than Fender I might add. Ron is one of them...so is Dino...and Kyle.

I would hate to see any one of these guys get in trouble for their hard work.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    I also think this has gone beyond the ELVH lawyers. This is now a Fender issue since they make the replica Frankie.

I think they are also on the prowl for replica's and will use their pull and resources to find those who want to profit on it.

As a business person I totally understand the rationale for seeking those trying to make money on this copyrighted design. I also don't think that these replica guitars should be advertised on eBay or Craigslist. We can keep our own little community here and privately do what we want with them.

I know of several people who make these guitars on here and the work they do is incredible. Better than Fender I might add. Ron is one of them...so is Dino...and Kyle.

I would hate to see any one of these guys get in trouble for their hard work.
    I totally agree. I would love to try out one of the Fender Frankies. I'm sure their a great recreation based on how invasive their research into each component goes. But for attention to detail, the guys on here go above and beyond. I built one, but it has a different pickup config. and a slightly different pattern, but you get the idea of what it is, and it sounds the way I like it to. It would still be an infringement in the eyes of ELVH, but who cares. It's my guitar, and I'm not gonna sell it. I don't play live with it either, so it get's a minimal amount of exposure. It's just for fun.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Maybe they eased off because they know that when someone buys or builds a replica they "might" buy some of the EVH products straps, pickups, etc...
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DivebombInc View Post
    Maybe they eased off because they know that when someone buys or builds a replica they "might" buy some of the EVH products straps, pickups, etc...
    mine was taken off ebay last week withing 24 hrs..don't call that easiing off..LOL

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I totally "get" the whole EvH trademark/copyright thing, but I really believe these laws should be soley enforced to prevent other companies from mass producing these replicas.

What I don't understand is why they would use this law to prevent someone who may have fallen on hard times from selling his guitar on eBay.

That's a bit much IMO.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

They have to enforce all infringments with the registered trademark. It's the only way to protect the "intellectual property".

I agree it's pretty crappy if some person is just selling a guitar they built or even bought 10 years ago that happened to be stripped gets pulled. Although there's no way to validate is someone selling is just a single owner or a builder trying to make a buck... So they knock em all down.

Also the primary selling point for most EVH replicas is the stripped finish... most of the guitars if they had the finish removed would not generate the interest or the price paid.

So with that is is clearly profiting from Ed's design no matter how you "Stripe" it...
    Last edited by Zahzoo; 03.11.09 at 12:57 PM.
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com