Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Default Obama's Blockbuster Gift for Brown: 25 DVDs

foxnews.com

Let's hope he's a Star Wars fan.

President Obama on Thursday gave British Prime Minister Gordon Brown a set of 25 classic American movies to mark his historic visit to the White House.

Brown, the first European leader to visit Obama since his Jan. 20 inauguration, was presented with a "special collector's box" of DVDs during his two-day visit to Washington.

Downing Street, which reportedly tried to keep the present a secret, declined to say what movies were included in the set.

"One reason for the secrecy might be that the gift seems markedly less generous and thoughtful than the presents taken to Washington by the Prime Minister," London's Evening Standard newspaper reported.

The Daily Mail, however, reported the movie set included ET, Star Wars and The Wizard of Oz and was produced by the American Film Institute on "special request" from the White House.

Brown, who is not known to be a movie buff, gave the president and his children several uniquely historical gifts.

The first of which is a pen holder fashioned from the oak timber of HMS Gannet, a Navy vessel that served on anti-slavery missions off Africa.

Another treasure given to Obama is a framed commissioning paper for the HMS Resolute, a Royal Navy ship that came to symbolize British-American goodwill when it was rescued by the U.S. from icebergs and given to Queen Victoria. It is the sister ship of the HMS Gannet.

Finally, Brown gave Obama a first edition of Martin Gilbert's seven-volume biography of Winston Churchill, whose World War II partnership with President Franklin Roosevelt symbolized the U.S.-Anglo alliance.

For Sasha and Malia, Sarah Brown, the Prime Minister's wife, gave each an outfit from Topshop, a British chain of clothing stores, and selected six children's books by British authors which have yet to be published in the U.S.

In return, First Lady Michelle Obama presented the prime minister's two boys with toy helicopters modeled after Marine One.

Obama was so touched by the gifts, he called Brown on board his plane on Thursday to thank him. The call was placed after Brown addressed a joint meeting of Congress, the White House said. The two reportedly spoke for 10 minutes.

The White House later issued a press briefing to put on record how much Obama appreciated the gifts.

"The pen set is being displayed on the Resolute Desk in the Oval Office and the books are in the President's personal study adjoining the Oval Office," the White House said in a statement.

During Brown's first trip to America in the summer of 2007, he was given a fur-trimmed brown leather bomber jacket by President George W. Bush.

The prime minister's reaction to the DVD set is not known.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Hopefully thay were PAL...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

What a stupid idea. Wow.

I know the economy is in the shitter but I think the Leader of the Free World could do better than going to Sam's Club and rustling up some DVD's to give to another world leader.

Star Wars, ET, Wizard of Oz.....Who HAS NOT seen these movies?

And the kids were given models of Helicopters? You'd think the President would be able to get something a little more unique like what the PM got for Obama.
    Last edited by MF5150; 03.08.09 at 05:19 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Does anyone dare say, Ghetto?

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wait, it got even better for the administration later when SecState Clinton had a gift for the Russian Foriegn Minister:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7930047.stm

Button gaffe embarrasses Clinton

Russian media have been poking fun at the US secretary of state over a translation error on a gift she presented to her Russian counterpart.

Hillary Clinton gave Sergei Lavrov a mock "reset" button, symbolising US hopes to mend frayed ties with Moscow.

But he said the word the Americans chose, "peregruzka", meant "overloaded" or "overcharged", rather than "reset".

Daily newspaper Kommersant declared on its front page: "Sergei Lavrov and Hillary Clinton push the wrong button."

Relations between Washington and Moscow have cooled in recent years over Russia's role in the war in Georgia, US support for the entry of Georgia and Ukraine to Nato, and the planned US missile shield based in central Europe.

'Was it right?'

Efforts to heal the rift got off to an awkward start on Friday as the two sides met in Geneva, when Mrs Clinton presented Foreign Minister Lavrov with a green box tied in green ribbon.

“ You got it wrong ”

As reporters watched, the US secretary of state assured her Russian opposite number her staff had "worked hard" to ensure it was accurate.

"Was it right?" she inquired with a smile.

"You got it wrong," Mr Lavrov responded, also smiling, before pointing out the mistake.

Despite the embarrassment, the two made light of the moment in front of the cameras and pushed the button together to signify a shared hope for better relations.

At a joint news conference after two hours of talks, both joked about the error.

"We reached an agreement on how 'reset' is spelled in both Russian and English - we have no differences between us any more," Mr Lavrov said through an interpreter.

Mrs Clinton put it this way: "The minister corrected our word choice. But in a way, the word that was on the button turns out to be also true.

"We are resetting, and because we are resetting, the minister and I have an 'overload' of work."

The gift was a light-hearted reference to US Vice-President Joe Biden's recent remark that the new US administration wanted to reset ties with Russia after years of friction.

So somebody sat in a meeting with Hillary Clinton and suggested a yellow box with a red button on it as a gift. Are you fucking kidding me? Whatever happened to a nice bottle of wine? Plus, Clinton went along with it! OMFG!
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The worst part is that we have no one in the state department that has a grip on the Russian language. Can you imagine what it's like when they are interpreting??
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 788 Times in 378 Posts

Premium Member

Default noooooooooooooooo

This is so embarrassing.

England's in the house and Obama presents them with a fucking DVD box set.

If it wasn't true I wouldn't believe it. Awful.
    Not to mention how unceremonious they were about the Prime Ministers visit to begin with. Really bad.

And Hillary presenting the "Overcharged" button to Russia. Oh man. wtf are they thinking with all this dumb shit.

Clueless.

-
    Last edited by Wruff_ajax; 03.08.09 at 06:41 PM.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:02 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

What's the next visiting foreign dignitary going to get? A set of Time-Life CDs? An Earnhardt/ELVIS 1:24 race car replica? AIG?

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post

What's the next visiting foreign dignitary going to get?
    CH-CH-CH-CHIABAMA!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    So somebody sat in a meeting with Hillary Clinton and suggested a yellow box with a red button on it as a gift. Are you fucking kidding me? Whatever happened to a nice bottle of wine? Plus, Clinton went along with it! OMFG!
    Really pitiful....

I will be able to forgive Obama for his DVD fuck up as long as both "Godfather" movies(3rd one don't count) and "The Big Lebowski" were included.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
    Really pitiful....

I will be able to forgive Obama for his DVD fuck up as long as both "Godfather" movies(3rd one don't count) and "The Big Lebowski" were included.
    If this is the only gift he received from O then yea, the ball was not only dropped, it was booted as well.

Surely Airplane and Animal House were included in that set.

That's Americana.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Maybe with the economy the way it is, obama and clan went to a Fry's and picked up some discount HD-DVD movies that were laying around.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

I think they're regifting from the holidays.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,385 Times in 760 Posts

A clear message saying: "poodle, your old master is gone."
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

No matter how hard I've racked my brains, I can't think of a single thing that could make this any funnier.

The more you think about it, the more unbelievable it is.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/