Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Default Why Do Wind Farms Explode Bat Lungs?

No, there isn't a punchline. This was the actual header for an article in today's Sun Sentinel.

Why do wind farms explode bat lungs?

March 1, 2009

The mystery was alarming to wildlife experts: large numbers of dead bats appearing at wind farms, often with no visible signs of injury. Researchers now think they know one reason: Wind turbines cause bats' lungs to explode. More specifically, a sudden drop in air pressure created by the blades can cause fatal internal hemorrhaging, researchers at the University of Calgary said in a study. The toll taken on bats highlights a delicate balance facing the wind industry—how to be "green" without unintended environmental consequences. Some of the best sources of wind —coastlines and mountaintops—also happen to be in the path of migratory birds. Wind farms installed on mountain ridges also have triggered fears over soil erosion, and some environmental groups have fought proposed wind farms. With the deaths causing a stir among wildlife advocates, an unusual partnership called the Bats and Wind Energy Cooperative is seeking ways to strike a delicate balance between protecting the bat population and meeting the nation's growing demand for renewable energy. "It's not choosing one or the other," said Ed Arnett, project coordinator for the cooperative. "It's finding a balance, and I'm convinced we can solve this problem." —Gerry Smith, Tribune Newspapers

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/nat...,5648056.story
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

who cares? They're bats, not falcons or eagles.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

I wonder if this a problem in the UK with our windfarms. Because bats are seriously protected here.

Bats and the Law

All UK bats and their roosts are protected by law. Since the first legislation, introduced in 1981, that gave strong legal protection to all bat species and their roosts in England, Scotland and Wales, additional legislation and amendments have been implemented in all countries within the UK. For all countries of the UK therefore, the legal protection for bats and their roosts may be summarised as follows:
    You will be committing a criminal offence if you:

1. Deliberately* capture, injure or kill a bat
    2. Intentionally or recklessly disturb a bat in its roost or deliberately disturb a group of bats
    3. Damage or destroy a bat roosting place (even if bats are not occupying the roost at the time)
    4. Possess or advertise/sell/exchange a bat (dead or alive) or any part of a bat
    5. Intentionally or recklessly obstruct access to a bat roost

Penalties on conviction - the maximum fine is 5,000 per incident or per bat (some roosts contain several hundred bats), up to six months in prison, and forfeiture of items used to commit the offence, eg vehicles, plant, machinery.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Give me all the bats I can get, they're incredible at eating mosquitoes.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel View Post
    I wonder if this a problem in the UK with our windfarms. Because bats are seriously protected here.

Bats and the Law

All UK bats and their roosts are protected by law. Since the first legislation, introduced in 1981, that gave strong legal protection to all bat species and their roosts in England, Scotland and Wales, additional legislation and amendments have been implemented in all countries within the UK. For all countries of the UK therefore, the legal protection for bats and their roosts may be summarised as follows:
    You will be committing a criminal offence if you:

1. Deliberately* capture, injure or kill a bat
    2. Intentionally or recklessly disturb a bat in its roost or deliberately disturb a group of bats
    3. Damage or destroy a bat roosting place (even if bats are not occupying the roost at the time)
    4. Possess or advertise/sell/exchange a bat (dead or alive) or any part of a bat
    5. Intentionally or recklessly obstruct access to a bat roost

Penalties on conviction - the maximum fine is 5,000 per incident or per bat (some roosts contain several hundred bats), up to six months in prison, and forfeiture of items used to commit the offence, eg vehicles, plant, machinery.
    I don't know why, but that made me laugh. You can just imagine the scene in the prison...

"What are you in for?"
    "I fucked a bat"
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

LOL.. I know! But it's one law that is rigourously up-kept. We have bats near us and we see them in the trees at dusk. We regularly get the "bat squad" calling to check if they've nested in lofts and eaves. The moment you find you have some, you've gotta let them know immediately. Cant touch them.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    You can just imagine the scene in the prison...

"What are you in for?"
    "I fucked a bat"

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Bats rock!

We had a pet bat last winter. Sometimes they become un-hibernated in the wintertime and they starve to death because there aren't any bugs to eat.
    Our little guy was found flying around inside our garage in January. We caught him and kept him in a cage and fed him mealworms every day, and we let him go in early summer when the bugs came out.
    He was a cool little dude. Tiny and very, very hungry.

(Note: My wife studied bats as part of her Master's degree, so she's a semi-professional bat handler. If this ever happens to you, you should probably call a bat rescue place.)

Don't read this.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Wind farms have become quite the lightning rod...(heeheehee...no pun intended...alright well it was a little intended)...here in Texas. A lot of farmers and cattle ranchers hate the damn things and environmentalists, those one would think would be in favour of them, are lining up to attack them for all sorts of reasons, particularly birds. I hadn't heard about the bats. That's pretty awful.

I think with research, proper planning and TIME, the windfarms can be put effective places that can maximize their purpose while minimizing their effect on wildlife. The time comes into play with birds, in particular, adjusting to and altering their routes. Just like they do for all sorts of other things, they'll begin to realize that they should avoid these things and the changes in air pressure and wind currents.

I think though that all too often we get all excited about stuff like this and just throw them up thinking everyone will love it. I know the ranchers whose families have been out west for generations enjoying the quiet night sky are going nuts with these things making all that noise and creating eye-sores. On the other hand, you have their neighbours who are tripping over themselves trying to sell their land to the wind farmers because it's so lucrative. There was a great article in texas monthly a while back that interviewed two ranchers whose properties were next to one another. They'd been there forever. One guy was old-school and the other was all over the wind farms. They've probably started some neo-hattfield vs mccoy thing out there. They were NOT going to see eye to eye on this one.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

The bird problem can probably be cured by putting a big screen around them (though then that might create more of an eyesore) - not sure what to do about the bat problem (don't build them near caves?)

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

There are downsides to everything but ask anyone, including most self respecting bats, and they would probably prefer a wind farm to another coal fired station.

There is a very cool one off the north coast of Holland. You fly into Schipol, Amsterdam and there are clusters of them in the north sea. It looks beautiful. What with wave, wind and tidal, I think our coastlines are the way forward.

Less bats too.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I imagine time will allow bats to figure out where NOT to go but also evolution will do its thing and bats will begin to be able to withstand the changes.

I'm on the fence when it comes to wind energy. I wonder about solar power and why we're not seeing more of it.

It would seem that it wouldn't even require a lot of "solar farms" or whatever because we could install panels on the rooves of all the office buildings and schools making them self-sustaining. Huge structures like stadiums would be layered in them and perhaps even create a surplus of energy that would allow other things to be plugged into them, like a giant power strip.

For all the earth-friendliness that wind power is supposed to provide, there seems to be a lot of environmental issues with them. I'm not opposed to them and I'm not one of the people that thinks they're ugly. I think they look kinda cool myself. But it would seem that solar power would address most if not all of the issues people have with wind farms.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm wondering if solar isn't more of a regional deal depending on the number of sunny days in an area. How do you store the energy?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I'm wondering if solar isn't more of a regional deal depending on the number of sunny days in an area. How do you store the energy?
    so far as I know, there are cels/panels that store it...though I'm no expert by any means. I have no idea how long it can be stored, how much it degrades over time etc. Anyone on here have some experience with this sort of thing?

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    And that is exactly the problem. Harnessing the power is not too much of a problem but storing it has people scratching their heads, from what I've read.

Saying that, even here in unsunny Germany I am surprised at the number of solar rooves. Maybe they don't work all year but anything has got to be better than our old alternatives.

I don't think the answer lies in any one of the so-called "alternative" sources, but then again, why does it have to be only one? I guess the answer is research and development costs. We'll only see people plowing the money in when we have no alternative. Short sighted at best.