Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:08 PM
    Liked 2,851 Times in 1,066 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Relic guys? Need to make a White Pickup more creamish.

But not totally cream. Otherwise I would've ordered cream

Changing the Tone Zone S I had in a custom strat to a full sized Air Zone.

The guitar pickguard is a slightly aged pearloid. Used the same exact material for the last pickguard. The color of my single coils are just a tad bit off white, and look absolutely beautiful against the pearloid. The Tone Zone S was the same, matched great.

But now the new bucker is pure white. How do I darken it up so that it jives better with the color of the singles and the pg?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hmmm... Well, a slight tint is always harder than a more drastic one...

I know some people use coffee. It looks good, but I can't give you any advice on the process (soak time, etc.) because I haven't used it personally.

Another one is shoe polish, but I'm thinking that might be too dark for you.

Actually, a water based yellow-brown wood stain might work very well. I think it would be worth a try REALLY diluting some water based stain and seeing how it takes to the plastic.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

place the cover in a plastic bag, hang it from the ceiling. then underneath place an ashtray with several lit smokes in it, so the smoke goes up into the bag containing the pickup. the nicotine will stain it yellowish brown and make it look like its been aged from playing in bars.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

That's a cool idea man!
    I think i'll do that to myself!
    LOL!
    JB
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    place the cover in a plastic bag, hang it from the ceiling. then underneath place an ashtray with several lit smokes in it, so the smoke goes up into the bag containing the pickup. the nicotine will stain it yellowish brown and make it look like its been aged from playing in bars.
    Wow! Very cool idea.

The only thing I thought of was possibly just setting the pup cover out in the sun for a few hours at a time. (Obviously not blazing hot summer sun that would melt the thing...)

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Thanks guys. The cigarette/plastic bag thing is a cool idea, as is the coffee. The South Florida sun here might smoke the pickup in a matter of seconds.

Still looking for suggestions here. Thing is, it only needs to be slightly more cream. I'm just being very particular about this. Anybody who has a DiMarzio single coil and a white DiMarzio humbucker can see the difference in these two.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Another twist... empty an ashtray into a bowl combine with coffee and let it soak. You can play with the coffee mixture and water it down to lighten the tint. Find some similar plastic parts and experiment...

I prefer a good Kona blend for this method. Plus Marlboros have a better tint than Camels. If you want a natural look... go with American Spirits!!
    Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

K, so the coffee is the best bet right now...Zahzoo, have you done this before?

Should I have any concern about the pole peices that will have to be soaking in coffee too?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zahzoo View Post
    Another twist... empty an ashtray into a bowl combine with coffee and let it soak. You can play with the coffee mixture and water it down to lighten the tint. Find some similar plastic parts and experiment...

I prefer a good Kona blend for this method. Plus Marlboros have a better tint than Camels. If you want a natural look... go with American Spirits!!
    And the other benefit I can see is that if you smoke and have been trying to quit, fishing your pickup out of this conconction of old wet butts and coffee thats been stewing will be a hell of an incentive. Once you stop dry heaving, you'll have a bitchi'n looking pickup! Just kidding. I think these are all great ideas. I've been trying a few things for my new Strat pickups. I tried the coffee idea, but it did'nt work very well, but just got a UV tin light and gonna try that tonight after our jam. As I said in the other thread, It's the strongest UV device there is, and it will do the job no doubt, but I'm going to have to be carefull because it can actually destroy the plastic if left too long.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    K, so the coffee is the best bet right now...Zahzoo, have you done this before?

Should I have any concern about the pole peices that will have to be soaking in coffee too?
    Yes I've done the coffee method and a buddy of mine did the coffee/cigarette butt method. Both worked fine... I was afraid they'd turn out too dark but the plastic doesn't absorb that much. The tobacco seemed to give a more yellowish tint.

NOTE: Do NOT soak the pickup in anything!!

Remove the pick-up from it's mounting or pick guard. Then very gently slide the cover off of the pickup and only soak the plastic cover. Go slow and take your time... avoid using any sharp objects to pry it off. Don't want to damage the windings.

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Hmm. I've never taken a HB apart, I didn't think you could separate the covers from the rest of the pickup?

I was under the impression that guys just poor a little into a plate or similar, just enough so that they can set the pup face down in it and the liquid does not penetrate the rest of the pup, but will tint/age the top?

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Here's another vote for coffee. Tea might work even better because there are more different colors of tea.
    For a humbucker, I'd use a paintbrush. A small one.

Nicotine stains from cigarettes might give you the color you want, but it's harder to control the amount of stain you get.

So, in conclusion; coffee, tea, or a flick of my bic.

(Yeah, I'm pretty old.)

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

Hmm. I've never taken a HB apart, I didn't think you could separate the covers from the rest of the pickup?

I was under the impression that guys just poor a little into a plate or similar, just enough so that they can set the pup face down in it and the liquid does not penetrate the rest of the pup, but will tint/age the top?
    Good point... I didn't mention I've only done single coils with the cover removed.

I'd probably suggest testing it on a throw-away first or opt for another approach.

Here's a decent site:

http://www.relicdeluxe.com/plastic_pickguard_knobs.asp

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

But not totally cream. Otherwise I would've ordered cream

Changing the Tone Zone S I had in a custom strat to a full sized Air Zone.

The guitar pickguard is a slightly aged pearloid. Used the same exact material for the last pickguard. The color of my single coils are just a tad bit off white, and look absolutely beautiful against the pearloid. The Tone Zone S was the same, matched great.

But now the new bucker is pure white. How do I darken it up so that it jives better with the color of the singles and the pg?
    As far as not submerging your pickup in coffee, here's how I would do it:

1) take out a aucer from your cupboard
    2) put your pup in the saucer, mentally noting how much it would take to barely contact the bobbin top only
    3) fill saucer to that point and let the plastic ferment in the coffee.

This will also prematurely patina the polepieces. I still like Tommy's suggestion of the smokes and plastic bag.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    As far as not submerging your pickup in coffee, here's how I would do it:

1) take out a aucer from your cupboard
    2) put your pup in the saucer, mentally noting how much it would take to barely contact the bobbin top only
    3) fill saucer to that point and let the plastic ferment in the coffee.

This will also prematurely patina the polepieces. I still like Tommy's suggestion of the smokes and plastic bag.
    you can always use a cotton bud with a little beer on it to sticky up the surface of the pup to help the nicotine/tar stick a little better (im sure coke would work just as well but we're going the for years of bar room playing look!), just dip the cotton bud in the beer and gently apply a small amount to the pup cover, then perform the plastic bag/smokes thing. i've done it with a guitar body before (minus the beer, that happened naturally while trying to play slide with a pint glass full of beer!)
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!