Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Default Article about Ole Miss in 1962

I posted this in the college football thread, but after reading it I figured many of you might be interested in it. It's very interesting, and some parts are hard to read (at least for me) about some of the things that happened. Amazing how much things have changed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...=mississippi62

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.15.11 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I posted this in the college football thread, but after reading it I figured many of you might be interested in it. It's very interesting, and some parts are hard to read (at least for me) about some of the things that happened. Amazing how much things have changed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...=mississippi62

Thank you for posting this. And you are right, some parts of this article are painful to read but really need to be read and told……

I grew up in south FL and can remember when some of the schools in my area desegregated in the late 60's. Of course it was nothing compared to what took place in the Deep South like in this article but, looking back, it is so amazing to me that this happened in my lifetime.

When my brother started Jr. High (around ’69-’70) he was bused to what had been, back then, a “colored” school. I can remember my parents keeping him home from school because of the violence that took place there on a daily basis. When it was time for me to enter Jr. High two years later, we moved so I wouldn’t have to attend this school. Makes no sense to me but apparently my parents thought it was OK to send their son there but not their daughter.

I remember riding in the car with my mom sometime in the early to mid ‘70’s and seeing members of the KKK, decked out in their robes in broad daylight, collecting money in donation buckets while standing in the middle of an intersection in Homestead, FL. There were women dressed in robes, holding babies dressed in robes.....

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Good article!
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

I've told this story before, but when my Dad was in the army, he was stationed in Alabama (Fort Rucker?) in 1964.

He and a couple of his buddies went into this joint to get something to eat when a black man came in there to get something to eat as well.

Well, of course the guy was run out of there, with the owner telling him, "We don't serve N'rs in here!" The guy left and was outside the building just standing there.

My Dad thought, "Well, that's a bunch of bullshit, the guy just wants something to eat!" so he walked outside and talked to him and the told him, "I just want to get a Cheeseburger and some fries."

So my Dad went back in and ordered the food, paid for it, and took it out to the guy.

The guy was grateful and he invited my Dad and his buddies back to his family's house, where they ended up sitting around and bullshitting and crashing for the night.

My Dad ended up sleeping on the couch, and when he woke up, there were three little black kids just standing there staring at him and it kind of freaked him out. He said, "I never had any problem with black people, but waking up with three black kids staring at you was a little different!"

There's more to the story, but I can't remember it all. I want to take a recorder up to Washington this summer and record my Dad telling stories about the old days. It would make for some interesting listening.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I've told this story before, but when my Dad was in the army, he was stationed in Alabama (Fort Rucker?) in 1964.

He and a couple of his buddies went into this joint to get something to eat when a black man came in there to get something to eat as well.

Well, of course the guy was run out of there, with the owner telling him, "We don't serve N'rs in here!" The guy left and was outside the building just standing there.

My Dad thought, "Well, that's a bunch of bullshit, the guy just wants something to eat!" so he walked outside and talked to him and the told him, "I just want to get a Cheeseburger and some fries."

So my Dad went back in and ordered the food, paid for it, and took it out to the guy.

The guy was grateful and he invited my Dad and his buddies back to his family's house, where they ended up sitting around and bullshitting and crashing for the night.

My Dad ended up sleeping on the couch, and when he woke up, there were three little black kids just standing there staring at him and it kind of freaked him out. He said, "I never had any problem with black people, but waking up with three black kids staring at you was a little different!"

There's more to the story, but I can't remember it all. I want to take a recorder up to Washington this summer and record my Dad telling stories about the old days. It would make for some interesting listening.
    Your dad sounds like a pretty reasonable guy....did he realize he was (literally) risking his own life?...either way good on him.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Hard to believe how hard-headed we humans can be sometimes.