Register
    Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 06:49 AM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

Default What "basics" about your playing.....

would you like to change?

For me it's easy. For years, I had a great picking attack, but somewhere along the line I developed a bad habit in my picking technique. It actually made my style much more choppy. I haven't been able to fix it just yet, though several years have passed by.

The only thing I can figure is that I'm a natural lefty and I play like a right handed person, meaning my fret hand is my left hand and my pick hand is my right, and over the years my right hand has gotten weaker, or something.

Anyway, my question is, is there something about your own playing style, some basic technique, that you would like to be able to improve, and what is it?

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As for technique, I really wish I had more time to practice "chicken pickin".
    Not only are there alot of country players who can really wail on those types of licks, but there are also players like Zakk Wylde who sound cool using those types of licks for rock and metal too.

I'd also like to maybe study jazz and classical oneday.
    Ahhh ... so much to learn and so little time.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    As for technique, I really wish I had more time to practice "chicken pickin".
    Not only are there alot of country players who can really wail on those types of licks, but there are also players like Zakk Wylde who sound cool using those types of licks for rock and metal too.

I'd also like to maybe study jazz and classical oneday.
    Ahhh ... so much to learn and so little time.
    ahhh so true ,so true ! I can say that I got better at using my fingers when there was no picks lying around. Then I thought I would just stop buying picks for a while and just not having them around forces you do adapt. I really love playing with no pick, once you get better at it you realize how versatile you can be without a pick. In a way a pick can become a hinderence oddly enough. Think about when there was no picks ! somewhere back in the prehistoric days

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:20 PM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    ...Think about when there was no picks ! somewhere back in the prehistoric days

There were no amp stacks, tube screamers or Wolfgangs either so they didn't know what they were missing.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    ahhh so true ,so true ! I can say that I got better at using my fingers when there was no picks lying around. Then I thought I would just stop buying picks for a while and just not having them around forces you do adapt. I really love playing with no pick, once you get better at it you realize how versatile you can be without a pick. In a way a pick can become a hinderence oddly enough. Think about when there was no picks ! somewhere back in the prehistoric days
    Amen. When I was a kid starting out, I of course used a pick. My Dad's girlfriend was a very close friend of Lenny Breau, in the sixties. Being a punk kid she told me what he once told her when she had a fleeting interest in guitar as she wanted to be able to play with her then husband but something was missing, and he responded telling her what not to do. He told her one of the most important factors in allowing your personality to shine through was to not rely on picks soley. She told me this, and gave me some of his records to listen to. At first I did'nt hear it, but I really disected what he was doing, and there it was. A warmth, a real human tone. You could hear the touch of each string, and the nuances of each touch. It was a tough transition for me, and being headstrong, I thought fuck that, I'm sticking with what I know. That was over 25 years ago, and I have not relied on a pick since. I'd never go back. I get pinch harmonics the same if not better than before. I can achieve a pick slide effect by combining my thumb nail and side of my hand. That took some work, but I love playing this way. If I were to change anything about my playing, I'd have to say the same thing every player encounters from time to time, and that's to not fall into the repetative lick trap. You know the ones you tend to rely on more than others, but later you're goin man, why did I do that? All in all she gave me a very valuable lesson. She gave up guitar by the way!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.