Register

Thread: The Jam

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Default The Jam

Ok, Yesterdays, let's see who else cares!

For those that don't know, the Jam was a (very) British band in the late '70s - they get linked in with the punks/new wavers (as did most any band that sprung up at that time that wasn't disco or metal), but to me, they more are torch bearers for the early Who and Kinks type bands. Just three guys - Paul Weller, Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler, occasionally with some supplemental musicians (especially on The Gift)

They were pretty much gone before I even found out about them in college where my roommate had several of their records. I bought all of their studio albums, but only have upgraded one (Setting Sons) to CD. A victim of never having enough money to get every CD I want. Unfortunately most of their stuff is only available on import CD, though Amazon seems to have them at domestic prices. Only their compilations (and The Gift) are available on iTunes

My favourite period runs from All Mod Cons to Sound Affects, including the non-album singles released therein such as "Strange Town"/"The Butterfly Collector" (the latter of which is actually on my copy of All Mod Cons in lieu of "Billy Hunt"), "When You're Young", "Going Underground"/"Dreams Of Children", "Funeral Pyre"/"Disguises" (a cover of the Who song) and "Absolute Beginners"/"Tales From The Riverbank"

The first two albums are kind of raw, while the final album The Gift has a lot of different things going on musically (though it contains the fine single "A Town Called Malice" and one of my favourite songs by The Jam - "Ghosts"). All of their original output was released between 1977-1982. They never really hit too big in America, and I don't know if that's due to Weller making no attempt to hide his accent, or the British life aspects of their albums, but if you are a fan of the Kinks or the Who, I think you'd like the Jam if you've never heard them and give them a try.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Jam were a punk band in that Paul Weller had a very political slant to his lyrics. He just happened to couple it with a very melodic, harmony-filled delivery. He was/is not a stereotypical singer. His brash, passion-filled vocals, as well as his thick accent and Englishness, made the band less palatable to the American public than a band such as the Clash. Like many other English bands, the Jam were most accepted in American cities that had access to imports and the English weekly music papers. In England they were revered. They were openly supported by both Ray Davies and Pete Townshend, who had a whimsical ongoing sparring match with Weller.

To me, "Setting Sons" was their quintessential album. It's the one in which Weller's political stance and talent for storytelling coelesced most fluidly. But there really are no bad Jam albums. As far as songwriting and delivery goes they will always be my favorite band...well them and Guns N' Roses.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

I was never a huge fan but I can tell you, they were extremely important on the UK music scene for a few short years.

The single "Going underground" went straight to the top of the charts and it was one of those Monday mornings in school where everybody said, "Did you hear that song at number 1?"

I think there was always some inter-band tension and they just couldn't keep it together. Made for some great fiery music though and, as already said, it was extremely British.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think there was alot of animosity between Weller and Bruce Foxton, partcularly because Weller insisted on writing alone and Foxton also fancied himself a songwriter. He wasn't. If one listens to the few Foxton compositions they do not compare and were always "improved upon" by Weller during the recording process. Foxton's dismal solo album also bore this out.

As well, the fact that Weller was always singled out for his talent and opinions, and the other two weren't, also created the rift. But, ultimately, when the Jam called it quits it was Weller who made the decision by simply stating it was over and immediately starting his next endeavor, the Style Council.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.29.17 @ 01:23 AM
    Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

The Jam were arguably the biggest band of any type in the UK in the early 80's, Weller broke up the band at the height of their popularity.

Bassist Foxton and drummer Butler reformed recently without Weller and called themselves "From the Jam"

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From the Jam, with Foxton and Buckler, played teeny tiny little clubs in LA and NY during their visit to these shores -- and had trouble selling tickets. Weller, on the other hand, played a two-night sold out engagement at theatres in the same cities. I'll let everybody do the math.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

I think for most albums where there's a "UK Version" and a "US Version", especially for British bands, I tend to prefer the UK Version as I feel "that's the way the band wanted it". However, with Setting Sons, I prefer the US version - "Wasteland" just doesn't seem right in the middle of the album. I know in the original days when it was on vinyl, it was at the end of side 1 (in the UK), so there was that brief bit where you had to get up and flip the record before you heard the next song, but still, even then I can't imagine it as anything other than an album closer.

I'd really like to get my Jam records on CD, but man, it's a tricky path!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I never was a big fan of The Jam, but I give them much respect. My band used to do "Town Called Malice". We'd throw it in every now and again when we knew we could get away with it. Great song.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

I now have all of the original output on CD. Bought two boxes of their 18 singles maybe a month ago, and then another box of their 6 studio albums that came in this week. Can't wait until it's all loaded onto my iPod and in rotation. One more collection I might get that has some rarities and definitely want to get Dig The New Breed. Just awesome music.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Not a huge fan of The Jam, I must admit - although "Going Underground" is a cheery little number!

Of course, Weller went on to form The Style Council in the 80s - I wasn't a huge fan of them either, but if pressed I'd say that this was a good one by them; it reached #6 in the UK in 1985:

I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980