06.21.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts

Default Variety artical...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=2857&cs=1

Van Halen: Everybody wants some?
    Legendary guitarist leaves his mark on music
    By PHIL GALLO
    Eddie Van Halen

IT'S AN INTENSE, visceral thrill to stand next to Eddie Van Halen while he plays a series of riffs that pass at whip-cracking speed, each note articulated with clarity and purpose. The sound and the force of the music are unmistakable; he looks up while strumming an open chord at length, shouting that he's playing the runs that other guitarists could not figure out in the 1970s. I assume he is referring to his use of harmonics in the middle of a run with the occasional bent note.

The song he is playing is a new one, a possibility for the next Van Halen album, work on which is expected to start in the summer. The tune makes effective use of his patented detuner, a metal bracket the size of a Tic-Tacs box at the tail of the guitar that alters the key he is playing in. He yanks on the device, the tonal quality shifts and I immediately hear a Pete Townshend influence. When he finishes, Van Halen's comment is "it's got an old Who thing in there." It's good to know we're on the same page.

Van Halen, the greatest hard rock guitarist since Jimmy Page, is for once not talking about lead singers, reunions or his personal life. The subject is the guitar, specifically the introduction of the EVH line by Fender. Van Halen's famous guitars, especially his "Frankenstrat" with the red, black and white stripes, have been duplicated by manufacturers, but the new instrument -- called the Wolfgang -- is the first to be design by Van Halen with Fender's team of designers.

He took four prototypes on the road during the last Van Halen tour, tweaking, redesigning and reworking the instrument until Van Halen put his stamp of approval on it. Fender says it has worked more extensively with Van Halen to design this six-string electric than any other instrument in its catalog; Eddie says he wants to offer consumers the exact same instrument he plays onstage.

"What they do with it is up to them," he said. "They won't necessarily sound like me. I hope they'll do something different.

"A lot of companies rest on what they designed in the '50s. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I like to squeeze out everything out of every idea. I have the painstaking job of making it work. It's like writing a song -- why do (I hear in my head) stuff that is harder to play than to hum. To get the patent, then get someone to believe that it works is insane, too."

AT 54, Edward Lodewijk Van Halen is still not a big picture guy. He does not encapsulate what his playing means to generation of followers, of how guitar design fits within his legacy or even pinpointing the differences between his approach to the David Lee Roth material the first time around and again 20-odd years later. What he is remarkably capable of doing is remembering precisely how he recorded a specific sound, what went into building a guitar from factory seconds and the tweaks he has done over the years to everything from the screws to the tuning pegs.

Visitors who enter Van Halen's 5150 studio are encouraged to walk around the performance area to understand how vastly different every space in the studio sounds. He not only is aware of the sonic differences -- and the space would be cramped if a five-piece rock band were set up in it -- he employs that knowledge in the way he makes recordings.

"It's very basic, the way I mike things. I hate to say it, but it's different from the ways others do it. I want the sound as pure as possible."

That credo, which Van Halen has lived by for three decades, has played a key role in keeping the Van Halen sound distinct from others. His band, though, is at a crossroads. A 2007-08 reunion with David Lee Roth pulled in $93 million for 74 dates, evidence the demand remains for classic Van Halen material. They have not released an album of new material in the digital age, which makes the release of the EVH guitar seem more relevant in that desire to connect the artist with the fan. It's an expensive route, but it takes the iconic and makes it lifesize. These days, that's a path for survival in the music industry.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by venom thrust View Post
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=2857&cs=1

IT'S AN INTENSE, visceral thrill to stand next to Eddie Van Halen while he plays a series of riffs that pass at whip-cracking speed, each note articulated with clarity and purpose. The sound and the force of the music are unmistakable; he looks up while strumming an open chord at length, shouting that he's playing the runs that other guitarists could not figure out in the 1970s. I assume he is referring to his use of harmonics in the middle of a run with the occasional bent note.

The song he is playing is a new one, a possibility for the next Van Halen album, work on which is expected to start in the summer. The tune makes effective use of his patented detuner, a metal bracket the size of a Tic-Tacs box at the tail of the guitar that alters the key he is playing in. He yanks on the device, the tonal quality shifts and I immediately hear a Pete Townshend influence. When he finishes, Van Halen's comment is "it's got an old Who thing in there." It's good to know we're on the same page.

I want to see video of him playing that tune!
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:52 AM
    Liked 2,086 Times in 678 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by venom thrust View Post
    The song he is playing is a new one, a possibility for the next Van Halen album, work on which is expected to start in the summer. The tune makes effective use of his patented detuner, a metal bracket the size of a Tic-Tacs box at the tail of the guitar that alters the key he is playing in. He yanks on the device, the tonal quality shifts and I immediately hear a Pete Townshend influence. When he finishes, Van Halen's comment is "it's got an old Who thing in there."
    Can't wait!!!
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,389 Times in 763 Posts

Who style? I hear Sam singing that more than Dave.

I'll get really excited when someone hears some vocals with the guitar riff. I'm worried this is gonna end up with the "10 albums worth of material." This might be on the eleventh album...
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Wow. Ed sure is doing a lot of press at the moment. Could they really be about to record a new disc?

It almost doesn't seem possible. Fingers crossed.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Wow... this brand new, never before heard of "Wolfgang guitar" sounds like an amazing instrument. What was the guitar he was playing from 1996-2006 called?

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I don't remember.....did ed give any interviews during the 07 tour? serious question, I don't remember if he did or not.

Last Online

There's an extended interview from Variety up @ VHND with much more:

http://www.vhnd.com/2009/02/23/eddie...r-to-the-fans/

New music is on the way!

- Buddha

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Ed is out and about doing interviews. I think that is great!!!
    Whether it's for his new guitar or not, it's great to have him in a good frame of mind.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

- Buddha

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Who style? I hear Sam singing that more than Dave.

I'll get really excited when someone hears some vocals with the guitar riff. I'm worried this is gonna end up with the "10 albums worth of material." This might be on the eleventh album...

Ed and Dave did the "Magic Bus" thing live...

I want it
    I want it
    I want it....

~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

New music, baby.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:42 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Uh, oh!!... Wet blanket alert!!!!

I can't get excited about any of this, really. Sure, it's nice to see EVH out and about in the right state of mind. But these orchestrated interviews seem to be nothing more than marketing events, probably part of his Fender deal.

And when they find the time to stop talking about the guitar and start talking about a new CD, the comments are peppered with phrases like... "a possibility" and "expected to start". Been down that road.

If and when word leaks out they are actually in the studio, then the buzz will start for me.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Last Online

Hopefully in a few more months this place will be buzzing bigtime!

- Buddha

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Eddie, I love Eddie, I love Eddie......I want more Eddie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!