Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"This is our house now," ACORN member Louis Beverly reportedly said

Arrest Made in Home Foreclosure Civil Disobedience Program
    Monday , February 23, 2009

Police in Baltimore today made what is believed to be the first arrest in a civil disobedience program aimed at supporting homeowners who refuse to vacate their foreclosed homes.

An activist with ACORN — the Association of Community Organization for Reform Now — faces criminal charges after breaking into a home in southeast Baltimore on Thursday to protest the foreclosure crisis sweeping the country.

"This is our house now," ACORN member Louis Beverly reportedly said after cutting a lock with bolt cutters at the home.

Beverly will be charged with fourth-degree burglary, according to Anthony Guglielmi, a spokesman for the Baltimore Police. Attempts to reach his attorney, Justin Brown, were not immediately successful.

Donna Hanks, who owned the home since 2001, lost it in September when she couldn't make her $1,995 mortgage payments. It was not immediately clear whether Hanks re-entered her home last week, but she was not expected to be arrested, Guglielmi said.

Other police departments contacted by FOXNews.com said arrests would be made if an individual is determined to be residing at a foreclosed home illegally.

"If they're trespassing and it's not their property, absolutely, there'd by an arrest," a police source in Boston said. "If they were told to leave the property and they didn't, they'd be charged with disorderly conduct."

Pittsburgh Police Spokeswoman Diane Richard said charges would be filed against any individual found living in a foreclosed home, whether that individual had previously lived at the residence or not.

"If someone is court-ordered to vacate and they do not, it would be trespassing at that point," Richard said. "What exactly would be charged depends on the intensity of the violation. It could go all the way up to burglary, which is a felony."

The flood of foreclosures across the country has already led some law enforcement officials to alter how they handle evictions.

In Wayne County, Michigan, Sheriff Warren Evans suspended all foreclosure sales on Feb. 2 until a federal plan to combat foreclosures can be implemented, spokesman John Roach said. In Butler County, Ohio, Sheriff Richard Jones has reportedly ordered deputies not to evict residents who have no other housing options during the winter months. And in Cook County, Illinois, where a record 4,487 foreclosures occurred last year, Sheriff Thomas Dart appointed an attorney to review all eviction orders in October in order to protect individuals who continued to pay rent after their buildings were seized by banks.

Joe Cox, a community organizer for ACORN in Baltimore, said Monday's arrest was not a surprise.

"We definitely expected some kind of a response," Cox said. "We understand people have to do their jobs and we hope that they understand that we're doing this to highlight the issue."

Cox said he expects homesteading — refusing to vacate a foreclosed property — will become common as blame for the foreclosure crisis increasingly shifts from homeowners to financial corporations.

"This program is saying, 'We are not going,'" Cox said last week. "People say we're breaking the law, but we don't see how putting a person back in an abandoned property is harming anyone."

ACORN launched its "Home Savers" campaign in New York earlier this month and plans to expand the program to at least 22 other cities and three counties nationwide in the coming weeks. Participants like Beverly say they will refuse to move out of foreclosed homes or reclaim properties altogether until a comprehensive federal housing plan takes affect.

Cox said ACORN's homesteading program has attracted homeowners at risk of losing their homes from all socioeconomic backgrounds, from low-income Baltimore city neighborhoods to the more affluent Washington-area suburbs.

"We very much like what President Obama is doing with his foreclosure plan, but there's going to be a lot of people still left out," Cox said. "What we've been calling for nationally is a foreclosure moratorium so people have time to get help from a HUD-certified agency and start negotiating with lenders to get the banks off [their] back."

Attempts to reach Beverly on Monday were unsuccessful. In a Feb. 13 press release announcing the organization's plan to fight foreclosures, Beverly called for "civil disobedience" as a last resort.

"We need foreclosures to stop right now," Beverly said. "We need a moratorium to allow time to try to get loans modified so they can stay in their homes. The banks don't really want your house — it becomes a liability for them. With restructuring of the loan, everyone wins."

At least 500 volunteers have reportedly agreed to work as "home defenders" to employ non-violent tactics to block authorities from evicting homeowners. Other cities targeted by the campaign include Denver, Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Cleveland, Minneapolis and Orlando, Fla.

Founded in 1970, ACORN is a community-based, grassroots organization that primarily focuses on — among other social issues — health care, affordable housing and voter registration programs. Its large-scale voter registration drives most recently came under scrutiny during the 2008 presidential race, during which ACORN reportedly gathered more than 1.3 million voter registration forms in 21 states. Approximately 400,000 forms were reportedly rejected for duplications, incomplete forms and fraudulent applications.

President Obama, who was endorsed by ACORN, served as a local counsel for the organization in a 1995 voting rights lawsuit.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

I'm confused. Who got arrested? The person who was evicted from the home (former homeowner) or someone for breaking in to get that person out?

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

The sad thing is that the people that are behind this whole fiasco: Franklin Raines, James A. Johnson (Who happens to be from my hometown of Benson, Minnesota and is a year younger than my Dad. I asked my Dad if he went to school with a James Johnson and he said, "Yeah, he was a fucking weasel! Why do you ask?" So I started filling him in on the things he's been involved in over the years. Look him up, the asshole should be in prison!), law firms suing banks for not making loans to low income, unqualified applicants (Including the law firm that Barack Obama worked for), will walk scott free.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

Don't just blame acorn.... our own US Rep Marci Kaptur gave a speech from the house floor imploring her constituents to become "squatters" and have encouraged the "produce the note" defense for homeowners wherein the homeowner in default delays the forclosure by demanding the financial institute produce the orginial note...which with resale of the mortgages often gets lost

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Yeah, I just don't get this at all.
    The people who got foreclosed on knew what they were getting into when they signed the mortgage.
    The article mentions that the homeowner got foreclosed on "when she couldn't make her $1,995 mortgage payments." She knew what the payments were when she signed up. They don't exactly keep that part a secret.

Of course, there are unscrupulous lenders out there who will sign you up with an adjustable rate mortgage which has low initial payments and then those payments jump up to an unpayable amount later.
    Well, too bad. You signed a contract agreeing to it.

My first mortgage was an ARM. I needed to get because it was the only way the bank would give me the deal. I made payments on it for a few months and then I started looking for a fixed rate. It took one phone call.

I'm a liberal which, I guess, means that I'm supposed to be in favor of giving free money to everyone, but I don't have much sympathy for people who buy things they can't afford.

Don't read this.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
    The people who got foreclosed on knew what they were getting into when they signed the mortgage.
    The article mentions that the homeowner got foreclosed on "when she couldn't make her $1,995 mortgage payments." She knew what the payments were when she signed up. They don't exactly keep that part a secret.

Of course, there are unscrupulous lenders out there who will sign you up with an adjustable rate mortgage which has low initial payments and then those payments jump up to an unpayable amount later.

My first mortgage was an ARM. I needed to get because it was the only way the bank would give me the deal. I made payments on it for a few months and then I started looking for a fixed rate. It took one phone call.

I'm a liberal which, I guess, means that I'm supposed to be in favor of giving free money to everyone, but I don't have much sympathy for people who buy things they can't afford.
    As I've mentioned before, I blame both those who took the mortgages and those who wrote them as well. My wife was telling me about a spot she saw on some news show where one former "Mortgage Consultant" was hired off the street with no experience and given the "sell it hard" training program that said little about what an ARM was or what an "interest only" loan meant to the potential home buyer. Yeah, I blame the folks for signing without understanding what the documents said, but I also blame the hard sell folks dangling the hope of home ownership like a carrot in front of a rabbit.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

I have a huge problem with underrstanding the concept of decreasing the loan amounts for those homeowners who are in default and find themselves "under water" on their mortgages.

Say you buy a house at 180,000 and with all the foreclosures in your neighborhood the comp value of your home is $140,000.

If you are planning to sell, I can see where this would be an issue. Short sales are going through the banks all the time because of this

If you are in default but NOT planning to sell, how could this be anything other than a give away? The gov comes in and says, well, your loan value has to be decreased to the current value which effectively wipes out the original sale price? Shouldn't that "reset" in value be taxable? You don't get taxed on capital gains if you hold your primary residence for 2 years, so if they hold the home and resell after the market rebounds they make a profit on the home sale?

What about the homeowners who are making their paments? They would actually have to purposefully default on their mortgage in order to get the same consideration..so if they don't plan on selling and aren't behind, they are penalized because they have in effect paid too much for their homes because the government has reset the values?

I find it all just too confusing

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

You almost have to have a masters degree in banking & finance nowadays just to buy a house in order to not get screwed.

The only other thing I can think of that's more confusing is the monsterous tax code we live under.
    The head of the IRS admitted a few years back that even HE didn't understand it.

We're all fucked...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    What about the homeowners who are making their paments? They would actually have to purposefully default on their mortgage in order to get the same consideration..so if they don't plan on selling and aren't behind, they are penalized because they have in effect paid too much for their homes because the government has reset the values?
    I know plenty of folks, including myself, who are in the boat where, even with our credit score being very good and our house not being "underwater", we can't get it refinanced to save our lives. Sooooo, I guess if I skip some payments then I can get some attention in the refi department, huh?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I have a huge problem with underrstanding the concept of decreasing the loan amounts for those homeowners who are in default and find themselves "under water" on their mortgages.

Say you buy a house at 180,000 and with all the foreclosures in your neighborhood the comp value of your home is $140,000.

If you are planning to sell, I can see where this would be an issue. Short sales are going through the banks all the time because of this

If you are in default but NOT planning to sell, how could this be anything other than a give away? The gov comes in and says, well, your loan value has to be decreased to the current value which effectively wipes out the original sale price? Shouldn't that "reset" in value be taxable? You don't get taxed on capital gains if you hold your primary residence for 2 years, so if they hold the home and resell after the market rebounds they make a profit on the home sale?

I find it all just too confusing

This is confusing to me as well. Here's a scenario that could make it all right.

1 You have a $180,000 home and are current on your payments.
    2. Everybody else on the block (or a significant percentage) defaults on their payments and gets their home value reduced to $140,000.
    3. You go to the bank and get $40,000 knocked off the price of your house but without taking any kind of a hit on your credit rating.

I don't know if it can happen, but it sounds fair.

Myself, I'm keeping my credit good and making my payments on time throughout all this mess. I figure there will be some kind of reward down the road for those of us that stayed with the ship and kept the economy moving when it's over.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I'm not sure why they can't just renegotiate the loans. Take what is remaining to be owed, tack another 10 years or so on the loan at a reasonable rate and lower the monthly payment. But still encourage the owner that it's in their best interest to pay it off early (whether it is or not).

I don't understand the whole thing anyway, and I don't own a home and some days I wonder if I ever will.

Eruption
    Last Online

02.15.10 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I'm not sure why they can't just renegotiate the loans. Take what is remaining to be owed, tack another 10 years or so on the loan at a reasonable rate and lower the monthly payment. But still encourage the owner that it's in their best interest to pay it off early (whether it is or not).

I don't understand the whole thing anyway, and I don't own a home and some days I wonder if I ever will.
    You or I never will if these bailouts continue. It is really screwing everyone who makes good decisions. Even renegotiating the loans is bad, typically it means lowering the value of the home with effects your neighbors property-and with most of these folks just extending the home loan only cuts off a couple hundred bucks a month and increases their debt drastically... it doesn't work in most cases. I think foreclosures almost would be better. Yes it lowers the properties around your home as well, but at least it would open the door for responsible people to buy homes and stimulate the economy that way. It would level the playing field so to speak.

1. These are the people that can afford their home
    2. These people can't and need to file bankrupcy
    3. These people can afford a home - but can't get a loan
    4. These people just lost their job but can normally afford payments

It would be alot easier to address the issues if you addresses them specially instead of blanket spending...

Let the shit hit the fan, then attack the issues and provide help where it is needed.

And don't reward people by letting them keep their house if they can't afford it.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

some people can afford it but then circumstances occur which make it so it can no longer be afforded. I'm not saying that is the case with most people, but it does happen.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nothingontv View Post
    You or I never will if these bailouts continue. It is really screwing everyone who makes good decisions. Even renegotiating the loans is bad, typically it means lowering the value of the home with effects your neighbors property-and with most of these folks just extending the home loan only cuts off a couple hundred bucks a month and increases their debt drastically... it doesn't work in most cases. I think foreclosures almost would be better. Yes it lowers the properties around your home as well, but at least it would open the door for responsible people to buy homes and stimulate the economy that way. It would level the playing field so to speak.

1. These are the people that can afford their home
    2. These people can't and need to file bankrupcy
    3. These people can afford a home - but can't get a loan
    4. These people just lost their job but can normally afford payments

It would be alot easier to address the issues if you addresses them specially instead of blanket spending...

Let the shit hit the fan, then attack the issues and provide help where it is needed.

And don't reward people by letting them keep their house if they can't afford it.

Letting the homes foreclose and, therefore, letting the neighborhood property values go lower means less property tax income which means a local tax increase in some other area. Not to mention that schools often get their money from property taxes.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just using your post as an example of how the thing just keeps going round and round.

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    some people can afford it but then circumstances occur which make it so it can no longer be afforded. I'm not saying that is the case with most people, but it does happen.

True. But that's no reason to sue the bank or "squat" in your house until they take you to jail, is it?

Don't read this.