Register
    Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Default Rant: sexism in the workplace

My wife is a chef. She loves her job and loves the culinary experience, however, it seems there is more sexism in the chef world than anywhere else I've seen. She busts her ass everyday to make sure food is cooked properly and everything is ready on time, and she gets no credit whatsoever.

Some things I know happen, the constant teasing and belittling, namecalling, and inappropriate remarks. This happens in every kitchen, and I know that will never stop.

However, something else has happened that just pisses me off to no end. The new scheduler is scheduling events that he works with only women. He schedules no men to these parties. And now he's cutting my wife's hours down. Why do you ask? Because she doesn't flirt with him like the other women do. She doesn't put up with his sexual harassment shit.

He hells at her quite a lot over stupid shit, and threatens her with "you'll get your hours cut". And well now... he's cutting her hours. You'd think that going to his superiors would help, but they're men too, they don't care. They believe that women shouldn't be in a kitchen anyway. So the only alternative is a new job, new bosses, and the same bullshit all over again.

Sorry for ranting, but I had to tell someone.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Whatever it is she's doing, tell her to keep doing it...then file a wrongful termination suit. She won't have to work for awhile after you guys win some money.

That's some serious stuff. Just have her document stuff from now until whenever to help build your case.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

She's a chef? Cool! How is her poundcake?
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

What a pain. I hate these kind of situations.

I guess it's hard to tell, from the information posted, whether this is sexual harrassment or not.
    The restaurant business is full of young (read: immature), single people who like to flirt and sleep around with each other and have lots of drama going on. (And also do lots of coke)
    I can't tell whether this manager is guilty of sexual harrassment, or whether he's just a prick who doesn't give your wife hours because he doesn't like her because she's not "one of the gang".
    That said, the best judge of harrassment is your gut. If your wife feels sexually pressured, she should do something about it.

Why doesn't she sleep with him a few times and see if she gets more hours?

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Yeah, that's an easy one!
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They believe women shouldn't be in a kitchen? Those sexist bastards! The only other place they belong is the bedroom...

Ok, but seriously - that is a shitty situation...keep working hard, and hopefully things will change - and of course, lawsuit is always a possibility, if you can build a good case.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

it's pretty ironic that outside of a professional kitchen that women are told the only place they belong IS the kitchen. So they get good at it and they run into people that say they need to stay out!

whether it's sexism or some other issue with the guy, I'm with bsbll4, have her start taking a notepad and a personal recorder to work. She needs to take down notes about date/time of incidents, write down his exact words and if at all possible get the prick on tape.

She'll OWN that restaurant before all is said and done.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by xaminer View Post
    My wife is a chef. She loves her job and loves the culinary experience, however, it seems there is more sexism in the chef world than anywhere else I've seen. She busts her ass everyday to make sure food is cooked properly and everything is ready on time, and she gets no credit whatsoever.

Some things I know happen, the constant teasing and belittling, namecalling, and inappropriate remarks. This happens in every kitchen, and I know that will never stop.

However, something else has happened that just pisses me off to no end. The new scheduler is scheduling events that he works with only women. He schedules no men to these parties. And now he's cutting my wife's hours down. Why do you ask? Because she doesn't flirt with him like the other women do. She doesn't put up with his sexual harassment shit.

He hells at her quite a lot over stupid shit, and threatens her with "you'll get your hours cut". And well now... he's cutting her hours. You'd think that going to his superiors would help, but they're men too, they don't care. They believe that women shouldn't be in a kitchen anyway. So the only alternative is a new job, new bosses, and the same bullshit all over again.

Sorry for ranting, but I had to tell someone.
    DOCUMENT EVERYTHING.

Keep a journal, names of co-workers, dates, etc.

Then nail his ass to the wall with a "Hositle Work Environment" suit. If he fires her then take him to the cleaners.

Pardon my french but - FUCK HIM.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

men that think women don't belong in the kitchen??

Eruption
    Last Online

02.15.10 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Happens at my work too... but kinda different. My male boss is a sex addict. The girls here that joke about sex, flirt and give him enough attention get all the breaks. Somehow their goals tend be way lower year over year and new out of area accounts always seem to float their way- while i am up against 15k above last year. Basically if you have bolt ons, and age 20-45, that is an attractive female who is open to all types of sex (including anal) you make some pretty good coin at the Star.

Otherwise you have to pound pavement like the rest of the men and girls with standards. Funny thing is, my boss is really open about this shit. He has yet to be called out. Even jokes about it at lunch and stuff with other guys.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad. It Jamz!!!
    Last Online

04.11.13 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Wake View Post
    men that think women don't belong in the kitchen??
    yeah thats what i thought. Im hispanic and in my culture the women do all the cooking and do it VERY WELL!!!