Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Default Video Capture Question

I have a bunch of old VHS tapes that I want to put on DVD. Most of them are back from right before my Niece was born in '91, to up until before my Mom passed away in '94.

The problem is, there is so much stuff, and I would like to be able to edit it down to get most of it on one or two discs.

I've thought about a video capture card for the computer. The also have the USB cables that connect to a VCR that supposedly does the same thing, but the reviews I've read about them have been iffy at best.

I've also thought about a DVD recorder, and putting them on DVD first, then downloading them to my computer and trying it that way, but I'm not sure that can even be done.

So, if there's anyone else out there that has done this and has some knowledge, I could use all the help I can get.

My hard drive is 500 GB and I have about 350 GB available. I'm also running with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT video card if that helps.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

I had a VCR/DVD recorder and copied a couple of my wife's/mother in law's old VHS tapes to DVD, but mostly I used it so I could record her soaps onto a DVD-RW and send them to her (or she could take them with her). Didn't mess with it much, but since they weren't protected I could copy them to the computer, even going so far as to import one of the episodes into iTunes!

Last Online

11.06.14 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First of all you have plenty of room on your hard disc. I don't know how fast your PC is, but I'm assuming you didn't install the vid card and HD, so it's relatively new (2 yrs or less), so you should be ok there.

Cables are not the way to go. You could do a vid capture card, but I would opt for burn it to dvd and then bring it to your pc for further editing. Certainly you would have use for a DVD recorder down the road as well, right? Note: I would NOT get a combo VCR / DVD. Combo = Bad.

My opinion is the DVD Recorder. I can provide you with a ton of info if you want regarding the editing process, etc.

Any friend of Bubbo-Ho-Tep....
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i still think USB is too slow for good video capture. i like Firewire. i have a Canopus box that i use to capture from VHS, DirecTV, even my old Beta tapes.

the discs from the standalone won't need to be decrypted/cracked but i have found that sometimes the menus cause problems when ripping. can't find the disc i'm supposed to be working on, but i don't remember it ripping the same as a PC-authored DVD.

and i always point people to www.videohelp.com, they know their shit over there.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Eruption
    Last Online

02.15.10 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They have dvd/VCR combos that have DVD recording options. You can probably find one on EBAy cheap since it is a little older technology.

here is one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnavox-DVD-Vid...QQcmdZViewItem

Once on your computer- you just rip the DVD and reformat it a video file. I use Macs so I am not fimilar with PC programs but I know there are a ton of them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nothingontv View Post
    They have dvd/VCR combos that have DVD recording options. You can probably find one on EBAy cheap since it is a little older technology.

here is one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnavox-DVD-Vid...QQcmdZViewItem

Once on your computer- you just rip the DVD and reformat it a video file. I use Macs so I am not fimilar with PC programs but I know there are a ton of them.
    Thats the way to go IMHO, I've tried other ways and often had problems getting a smooth capture or run into audiosynch problems. Just copy them to DVD, store the DVD as a 'master', then rip the info off and edit away

Only issue is sometimes the DVD's audio format isnt liked by some software but theres ways to fix that pretty easily. Drop me a line when you get set up and I'll sort you out with some goodies.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Yerfdog View Post
    Note: I would NOT get a combo VCR / DVD. Combo = Bad.
    Why do you feel that?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    i still think USB is too slow for good video capture. i like Firewire. i have a Canopus box that i use to capture from VHS, DirecTV, even my old Beta tapes.

the discs from the standalone won't need to be decrypted/cracked but i have found that sometimes the menus cause problems when ripping. can't find the disc i'm supposed to be working on, but i don't remember it ripping the same as a PC-authored DVD.

and i always point people to www.videohelp.com, they know their shit over there.
    Cant stress the point about Videohelp.com enough, its an excellent site.

In regards to menus and ripping out the files, I use a tool called vob2mpg that will rip out & reassemble the VOB files as a mpg to your hard drive. Might be worth playing with if you haven't already
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Unchained
    Last Online

11.01.15 @ 04:47 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nothingontv View Post
    I had someone convert a tape for me but was then unable to rip from or copy the DVD. It appears that it doesn't setup the DVD file structure correctly. A friend just converted a tape for me to MPEG2 using his video capture card and I'm very pleased with the results. Coincidentally, I've been looking at the same USB options myself this week. I did find one for around $40 that seemed OK. I may go with that.

Best of luck!

Rob

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    I couldn't agree more!
    I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Why do you feel that?
    Lots of bad experiences with combos, in particular one side or the other (or both) failing. I really haven't had any good luck with these combos, nor have I read much about ones that have lasted very long with good quality results.

Again, this is my personal experience only - if you've had luck with combos, you're a step ahead of me from the git-go.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Naw, ours crapped out last year after only a couple of years of service - a Panasonic. And it wasn't just that one side failed and we could still use the other - it's just a big giant paperweight right now. And even before it crapped out, I had issues with it going through the recording process, only not to close properly at the end, so that day's episode didn't record. Sometimes I'd have to rerecord whole weeks. And of course, being a soap she wanted, it was on 5 days a week. We never stopped recording them on the DVR, so if the initial record failed, I'd just rerecord them from the DVR. So with that knowledge, I haven't made it a priority to replace it, and she either catches the soap in the hotel at night on SoapNet if they have it, or just blows through 'em from the DVR when she comes home.

I wish they made home DVRs (that you can buy). I know they have TiVo, but you need an additional subscription for that. So I'm thinking I might have to add a second one in the bedroom as even though I don't record much, there are times when my shows clash with her shows and we can't record everything. And then I guess just set it up so that it's easy to bring out and plug into the living room set when she wants to watch something that recorded on that one.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

set up an old PC as a DVR...some of the ATI video cards have the timer recording feature.

i don't use mine much any more, just about everything i watch can be DL'ed or viewed on the network site if i miss it.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Thanks for all the info!

I just talked to my sister and her husband and they have a VHS/DVD recorder, and guess what? It crapped out on them!

I'll go to www.videohelp.com/ as well, and see what I can find out there. I have a lot of tapes, probably 10-15 to go through, and they each are probably anywhere from 2 to 6 hours long. I would like have everything done before I go up to see my Dad this summer.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)