Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

Default What's your main Axe?

I noticed that a lot of you guys and gals, especially in this forum here, tend to tinker and build your own guitars. Other than the guitar builders that may play their own guitars, what is your main guitar?

My current main axe is a Parker Fly Deluxe, which I've been playing for about ten years. I've left it all stock. I'm actually a little afraid to mess with it, like I have with a couple of my other guitars.

The guitar plays okay, but the main reason I like it is because it's so lightweight. It's a great guitar to be standing up with and playing for hours at a time.

The thing I don't like about it is that it sounds a little thin. If I'm recording something, it's the last guitar I own that I would use.

My second axe would be my Washburn N2 which I bought in the early '90's when I was trying to straight up clone Nuno. I changed the pickups on that guitar though. I put the George Lynch Screamin' Demon by Seymour Duncan at the Bridge Position and the DiMarzio Heavy Metal Humbucker at the neck. Now that thing screams. The sustain is off the wall.

Behind that I have various B.C. Rich guitars that I've had since the mid-1980's. An Ironbird, Warlock, and Mockingbird. The thing I love about those guitars is the neck feels most comfortable in my hands. I've often thought about using those necks as proto-types to having someone make guitars for me.

Still on the wish list is a Gibson SG and and Les Paul. I've had various opportunities to buy Les Paul's but in the end always choose something else because of the weight factor. I've owned a couple of Strats, but ultimately sold them off.

So, what's your Main Axe, and what's on your realistic wish list?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've been playing a Kramer Focus 3000 for the past 20 years but I also play my Pacer quite alot also. My dream is a Kramer Ripley.

Last Online

02.16.10 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    My dream is a Kramer Ripley.
    I know I could do some fun stuff with a Ripley in stereo setup, Vox AC15 on one end a a Fender Deluxe Reverb on the other.

My main axe is a mutt.... Warmoth compound radius maple neck, jumbo frets, old Kramer Focus 2000 body. Seymour Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. Gotoh Floyd Rose. Plays like a dream. Building another Warmoth mutt right now too. My other axe is an Epi Les Paul standard with Duncans. Set up very well, rips. Needs a fret crown though - I played that guitar for hours a day for about 3 years.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

my main guitar is a strat i put togethr myself ot of various parts from eBay.
    i painted it up like the original b/w frankenstien but with a different stripe patern, the neck doesnt quite fit right (theres quite a large gap around the neck pocket), the pickup is a burstbucker III and its very light indeed (i think its ash)

second is an old 84 kramer baretta which i painted orange and silver and dropped a S.D. pwearly gates pup in, other than that it's stock

third is an early 90' gibson MIII whch is pretty stock with the exeption of stainless frets

then i have several other modded strats.

personally i wouldn't go anywhere near a les paul as theres nothing i like about them, i have owned several in the past but they didn't last long. the S.G. on the otherhand is a great guitar the only thing that puts me off buying one is gibsons awful quality control.

on my wish list is an EBMM luke and maybe a wolfgang and maybe some more home built stuff including a lap steel.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Jackson soloist. I also have a strat but I can not get used to the neck. Fender necks seem "fat" to me. That's why I play all Jacksons. The necks are thin and they sound great.... (well, after an EMG mod!)
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

Do basses count? LOL!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

From right to left in order of preference (except the bass - I seem to be enjoying that more than guitar lately...):

From left to right:

- Late '90's Fender Jazz Bass
    - Late '80's Takamine Acoustic
    - Late '80's Japanese Fender Strat
    - Ed Roman Kramer 5150 Replica Kit Guitar, built by yours truly
    - 2000 Epiphone Pee Wee Les Paul "Little Guitar"
    - Peavey Wolfgang Special - Black w/ Roland GK-2A Synth Pickup
    - Peavey Wolfgang Special CUSTOM - metallic candy apple red finish
    - Peavey Wolfgang Standard, first run

* - all striped guitars' artwork done by yours truly...

Amps & effects:

- Line 6 AX2 212 Amp w/ FloorBoard controller
    - DigiTech Whammy II
    - AdrenaLinn II
    - Roland GR-33 Guitar Synth
    - OLD-SCHOOL stereo w/ double cassette...

*not pictured*

- MXR EVH Phase 90
    - MXR EVH 117 Flanger

- various Converse Chuck Taylors & Marlboro Lights...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's really tough ...

Out of my production guitars, my favorites are (in no particular order)
    - '86 PRS Custom 24
    - '05 Gibson Les Paul
    - '93 EBMM EVH

Actually, the PRS and the EBMM were hand crafted, but I guess to most, they're still considered "production guitars".

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:48 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

These days my main guitars are...

1. 1983 Hamer Phantom A5 - Andy Summers of the Police helped design these.
    2. 1996 Fender 1972 Custom RI Telecaster made in japan - this thing smokes!!!!
    3. Brand new black Gibson ES-335 - Gibson gave my band this guitar to use so i use it for everything that doesn't call for a tremolo bar.

Guitars i own but don't use live are -
    1. 1992 Yellow EVH Ernie ball music man - same color as Eddie used. The original tremolo rusted so i put on my 1980's OFR from my 80's Kramer Focus 1000
    2. 1996 Tobacco EVH Peavey Wolfgang
    3. 1985 Black Kramer Ripley - bought @ a pawn shop for $350.00 in 1995!
    The Kramer has a serial # of 0005 - always wondered about that.
    4. 20 other guitars lying around - see my myspace photos for pix - myspace.com/johnnybeane

JB
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

let's see...

my main guitar is a Fender Strat, richie sambora, the second gen model with the single coils. The only thing I don't really like about it is the mid boost which I find pointless...it distorts and is too extreme a shift from off to on. I also don't like the placement of the button. Maybe if I was playing in a straight rock band I would enjoy the boost more.

2nd up is a 95 Fat Tele sunburst...i love that guitar

3rd is a tie between a Nuno P4 and a Richie Sambora first generation signature, the mexican version with rosewood on the fretboard and no bid boost. That guitar is great.

My main acoustic is a Takamine Ef341, you've seen it before. It's black and is played very often by springsteen and bon jovi.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have one main axe, even though I keep building new guitars. I have a mongrel guitar with a Wolfgang-type body (mahogany w/ maple veneer) with a Kramer peghead custom neck. The neck took forever to get done, but was well worth the wait. Stainless steel frets, too. She screams through a Duncan custom custom, has a Gotoh Floyd (best Floyd in the bidness in my opinion), with Gibson pot and MXR knob. Her name is Jamie, and like her name sake, a thing of beauty.

My old '67 335 was probably my favourite guitar EVER, but I had to get rid of her for financial reasons. Jamie came alng and eased my loss CONSIDERABLY. I surmise that I will probably NEVER get another 335 in my lifetime unless I win the frikkin' lottery...

Jamie is my main squeeze. I like Cotton Candy, a pink USACG mahogany body with a '54 Strat RI neck, OFR, and SD '78 pup, but she ain't Jamie. And I bet Riva (a Warmoth VW quilt maple top/maple body) will also never be Jamie, as well after I complete her. She is stained shocking pink and is a beautiful (albeit heavy) chunk of wood. She will be the beauty contest winner FO SHO, but like her namesake, will probably be an occasional indulgence.

I used to like Les Pauls, but I now like Wolfgang-type guitars, even if mine are made of a different tonewood than Eddie's last few signature guitars...
    Last edited by bunnyman; 02.19.09 at 04:36 PM.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Tie:
    - Gibson Les Paul Studio - alpine white w/gold hardware. It's stock, but will be getting new pickups by June.
    - Fender Standard Stratocaster - early 90's model. Black w/rosewood neck. Has Lace Pickups (Red/Silver/Blue), which kick so much ass.
    Last edited by Metal Marc; 02.19.09 at 04:49 PM. Reason: I misspelled meat lofe

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.10 @ 07:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my main guitar is my '85 Baretta been playing it since my wife bought it for me new in 1986.. after that probably my Baretta copy I built my self I would love to have an EBMM if I could just convince my wife I need another guitar

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

A 1988 Fender Stratocaster "20th Anniversary" model. It's a replica of the 1968 "Jimi Hendrix" Strat.
    With (deep breath), new tuners, new string retainer, new nut, new frets, new pickups, new pickguard, new selector switch, new output jack, new bridge, and new strap buttons. The only thing original about it is the wood.
    Eventually, I'll get a new neck and a new body for it. Will it still be the same guitar? Hmmm...

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

I only have one, my Fender Affinity Bass.

I have never really seen the need to have more than one bass, our guitarist is like you guys and has more guitars than fingers.

But I did see a Fan Halen poster on one of the threads, and their bassist had the Mike Anthony Jack Daniels bass.

I do want that, but it just isn't in the budget.

The funny thing is that I have multiple different mics for singing, but still only one bass.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!