Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Anyone got a Fernandes Sustainer???

I'd like to buy one of the Fernandes Sustainers with the Humbucking sustainer pickup. I believe it's called the FSK-101 kit. Anyone have one new or used that they'd like to sell me?

PM me...

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Check out the sustainiac system. Does the same exact thing in a smaller package.

If I ever got a sustainer, I'd go the sustainiac route.

sustainiac.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Fire in the Hole
    Last Online

12.26.11 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll second the Sustainiac comment by the Jedi.

I've got one in a USA Custom Strat I built and its worked flawlessly for the 2 years I've had it. When in normal mode the pickup itself sounds great and the sustainer functions the same as the fernandes unit...

I've better things all around about the Sustainiac unit...
    Eddie and Dave...the way it was meant to be

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Honestly, I like the tone of the Fernandes better. It sounds a little more natural to me. Plus, it is cheaper.

I've been involved with the developments over on the PG sustainer thread (the massive one) for a long time, and I've had various DIY sustainers designed and built, but I am thinking about buying a commercial unit to see how it compares, and to have for live use because of reliablility issues...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Honestly, I like the tone of the Fernandes better. It sounds a little more natural to me. Plus, it is cheaper.

I've been involved with the developments over on the PG sustainer thread (the massive one) for a long time, and I've had various DIY sustainers designed and built, but I am thinking about buying a commercial unit to see how it compares, and to have for live use because of reliablility issues...
    I built a sustainer years ago.....and failed miserably. I knew very little about the type of wire required, so I thought, hey, it's like a microphone. Basically a speaker in reverse minus the diaphram. So I used a railed single coil pickup as the foundation, but with a heavier magnet. The bridge pickup split to a small on board preamp I cobbled together from a battery practice amp. Well in theory and very brief proctice it worked well, but the wire insulation melted, and well no more sustainer! Anyhow, I've thought about trying to build another with a more specific amplifier circuit and of course heavier guage wire.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 02.18.09 at 02:21 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait, Tora Tora/LOC
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 02:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I installed one myself a few years ago on a Super Strat I had built, this thing is like my version of the Frankie, it's a mad experimentation, it is battered beyond belief, but it works!
    Concerning the installation itself...I had to route a room to place the battery on a regular Strat cavity...I took a chisel and went at it, lol. There's like a second cavity inside the existing cavity (!)... if that makes any sense. Other than that it's electronically a bit complex, I wouldn't recommend installing it yourself unless your handy with that kind of things. Good luck finding one, browse Ebay, they're pretty cheap there.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I built a sustainer years ago.....and failed miserably. I knew very little about the type of wire required, so I thought, hey, it's like a microphone. Basically a speaker in reverse minus the diaphram. So I used a railed single coil pickup as the foundation, but with a heavier magnet. The bridge pickup split to a small on board preamp I cobbled together from a battery practice amp. Well in theory and very brief proctice it worked well, but the wire insulation melted, and well no more sustainer! Anyhow, I've thought about trying to build another with a more specific amplifier circuit and of course heavier guage wire.
    Ya man, it's really a science. Actually, the best and most reliable DIY sustainer design as of now is an 8 ohm coil, wound with .2mm 32AWG magnet wire. The coil cross-section has to be right at 3mm... so pretty tight. That maximizes efficiency (so you don't have to melt your coil again! )

Then just build a simple ~1 watt 9v amp, and stick a super clean and basic preamp in front of that to act as a buffer. That seems to run that coil about as well as the commercial units if you perfect it.

Obviously, I'm oversimplifying it here... it isn't easy to get one working... but it can be done.