Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default The Live Free or Dry State: Liquor official pushes 1-drink-per-hour law, or a Hoax?

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articl...NEWS-902110371

PORTSMOUTH, New Hampshire — The state's top liquor law enforcer suggests a one-drink-per-hour law is a better way to revise state law than a bill supported by a group of local restaurant and bar owners and workers.

The local group wants to add the phrase "knowingly serve" to the law concerning responsibility in serving alcohol to underage and intoxicated customers.

Eddie Edwards, the state liquor law enforcement chief, said the bar and restaurant owners have a legitimate point. But he offered an alternative he called a "safe harbor" law.

Edwards' proposal says that operators can serve one drink per hour, four at a sitting. One drink is defined as 1 ounce of spirits, 5 ounces of wine or 12 ounces of beer.

"Here's the criteria — you can only consume so much alcohol," Edwards said. "If I give you four, five drinks an hour, you should know that this makes someone intoxicated."

The bill, filed by state Sen. Martha Fuller Clark, Democrat-Portsmouth, and supported by the local bar owners, including Portsmouth Gas Light Co. restaurant owner Paul Sorli and the New Hampshire Lodging and Restaurant Association, focuses on the phrase "knowingly serve" rather than volume.

The group has said the existing law doesn't cover situations such as when an already intoxicated patron comes into an establishment.

Knowledge of intoxication or underage drinking should be a factor in liability, the group has said.

Edwards said the Fuller Clark bill doesn't hit the mark.

"The new bill, as currently crafted, does not help the majority of operators, it helps a few: The small amount of operators who operate at night, from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m., and to change a public policy that has served New Hampshire well isn't needed," Edwards said.

He said that the system is working.

"We have 4,500 licensees, and only 51 of them had to go in front of the commission. We investigated well over 100 cases, up to 160, and most of them were discounted. There wasn't enough evidence or they weren't at fault."

Edwards said that since 2006, cases of overserving have dropped, which indicates not only a savings in costs from paying for counseling and administration, but also a saving of lives.

Edwards also said that due to many cooperative partnerships with advocacy groups and with groups like the NHLRA as well as more online advocacy and education, there are many fewer cases of critical violations like overserving and serving minors.

He also said it's really a small group of operators who are serving "supersized" drinks and, it's those that need more regulation, not the 90 percent of operators who are largely compliant, and he hopes to work with the supporters of the bill to come up with a solution.

The bill goes into a Senate committee hearing next month, and if it goes through, on to a Senate, then House vote.

"I personally meet with the NHLRA ... My approach is to work from a cooperative understanding. My interest is in working with industry leaders and advocacy groups. The system is working."

BUT:

-Drink-Per-Hour Bill Nonexistent, State Says
    State Liquor Commission Responds To Rumor
    POSTED: 7:05 pm EST February 16, 2009

The state liquor commission is responding to what it calls an out-of-control rumor spread in recent days.

Various media outlets have reported that the commission is supporting a bill that calls for bars and restaurants to serve only one alcoholic beverage to its customers per hour.

On Monday, the commission said no such bill exists and it certainly would not support it -- if it did.

"It's completely fabricated, a complete distortion of the truth," said Eddie Edwards, the state's liquor enforcement chief. "The liquor commission has not sanctioned, sponsored or endorsed any law that would mandate a one-drink-an-hour service. Its unenforceable."

Edwards said the rumor may have stemmed from a discussion with restaurants about over-serving intoxicated customers, but he said it was only a discussion and that 98 percent of New Hampshire businesses comply with state law.

http://www.wmur.com/politics/18727220/detail.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

if it's true it's retarded.

There are already waaaay too many regulations on the books regarding booze. I have a big problem with liquor stores not being able to open on sundays, not being able to buy beer at 11 am on a sunday etc etc.

Personal responsibility folks. We either live in a free society or we don't.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NH is allready pretty quick when it come to intoxication. I went to School at UNH and we would frequent Portsmouth. They are actually too quick. We have a friend that tends to fall asleep when he's been drinking. He's not to the point of a black out, but just gets tired when we are out. We've been at a few places where, we've gotten thrown out becuase a bartender saw him close his eyes.

So i think the bars in most NH towns are allready doing a good job of watching who they serve. This new law if passed will just kill the restaurant/bar industry up there.
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

"Bring us a pitcher of beer every seven minutes until someone passes out, then bring one every ten."
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    "Bring us a pitcher of beer every seven minutes until someone passes out, then bring one every ten."
    I love that movie!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    if it's true it's retarded.

There are already waaaay too many regulations on the books regarding booze. I have a big problem with liquor stores not being able to open on sundays, not being able to buy beer at 11 am on a sunday etc etc.

Personal responsibility folks. We either live in a free society or we don't.
    I'm with you on this one. I don't like there being rules limiting your drinking. You want to have 40 drinks an hour, fine. If you even start your car after those drinks I don't want to see u in public for a long time.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

What kills me is when certain people take it upon themselves to legislate morality, such as those assholes in Texas that felt the need to arrest people that had responsibly registered at a Holiday Inn in order to celebrate New Year's Eve a few years ago. What is this bizarre need that compels people to inflict their beliefs upon others? Perhaps God is on their side.

If that is the case, I'm willing to broker a deal. You stay out of my bar, and I won't enter your church. Simple enough?
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    I'm with you on this one. I don't like there being rules limiting your drinking. You want to have 40 drinks an hour, fine. If you even start your car after those drinks I don't want to see u in public for a long time.
    yep. That's exactly how I feel. If you want to go out and get tanked? Great. Knock yourself out. You better have someone drive you home. If you get behind the wheel and kill someone, or even so much as swerve your own car into a telephone poll...well...sucks for you. You're going to jail. If you can't handle your business, screw you.

But don't tell me I have to wait until noon in order to buy some beer for the game or a bottle of champagne for mimosas.

Responsible citizens should not be treated like losers. Losers should be treated like losers. Screw this whole notion of "a few bad apples ruin the bunch."

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

...But don't tell me I have to wait until noon in order to buy some beer for the game or a bottle of champagne for mimosas.

Responsible citizens should not be treated like losers. Losers should be treated like losers. Screw this whole notion of "a few bad apples ruin the bunch."
    No doubt. Bunnell, the little town we live closest to, used to be completely dry on Sundays (actually, I think they rolled the sidewalks up at night as well) through until somewhere around 1990. Funny how you would find bars just outside the city limits. Still, you can't buy alcohol on Sunday until after 1PM in town, whereas the rest of the county is 10AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    No doubt. Bunnell, the little town we live closest to, used to be completely dry on Sundays (actually, I think they rolled the sidewalks up at night as well) through until somewhere around 1990. Funny how you would find bars just outside the city limits. Still, you can't buy alcohol on Sunday until after 1PM in town, whereas the rest of the county is 10AM.

This is something that just blows my mind. I don't think there is anywhere in California that is dry on Sunday or has a later purchase time on Sundays. Just seems weird to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

yep. That's exactly how I feel. If you want to go out and get tanked? Great. Knock yourself out. You better have someone drive you home. If you get behind the wheel and kill someone, or even so much as swerve your own car into a telephone poll...well...sucks for you. You're going to jail. If you can't handle your business, screw you.

But don't tell me I have to wait until noon in order to buy some beer for the game or a bottle of champagne for mimosas.

agreed, I do think that the few bad apples can cause some discomfort for us all (ie being asked for ID even though you would never drink underage or police check points (called Ride up here) to find drunk drivers). But I'm willing to tolerate that stuff if it helps keep us all safe.

But if you want to drink at 9 am and a bar wants to open to serve you, then I don't care as long as u ain't driving home. I won't be in the bar so it's none of my business.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    This is something that just blows my mind. I don't think there is anywhere in California that is dry on Sunday or has a later purchase time on Sundays. Just seems weird to me.
    What is wierder still, was when I found out that the county Jack Daniels is made in is dry.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Yeah, I met the owner of Jim Beam a few months back and he was telling us about how they are trying to get an exception to the dry law to allow 1/4 oz. samples at their distilleries for tastings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    I've lived in a few different states, California being one, and I'd say that they probably have the most lax alcohol laws in our country. Back here in the midwest (in the bible belt) people do try to push their moralities off on us when they make these stupid laws as Chef said. Where I'm at now, you can only get 3.2 beer in grocery/convenience stores, and 5.0 at the liquor stores. The grocery chains are now trying to get the state to change that little clause about selling only 3.2 because they want to compete with the liquor stores and sell 5.0 just like they do. Can't blame 'em really, but the liquor store owners are fighting this tooth and nail because they've got the bigger sales from it.

This thing in New Hampshire will never fly either. Bar owners are not going to play house monitors and count your drinks, as they shouldn't have to.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It comes down to free enterprise and my belief that a private businessman should be able to open and close when he wants and operate in a manner that the market will bear. If he wants to drag his ass out of bed and open his bar at 9 am, more power to him.

If a store wants to sell booze at 6 am, let them.