Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default New pickups for the '68 Strat

Hey all. Just thought I'd share a real positive experience today. I've been thinking about swaping out the tired pickups out of my '68 strat. I've been running a combination of stock neck and middle P/U's but running a SD lil' 59 'bucker in the bridge. I've never been too enamoured by this setup. It was nice to have the humbucking, such as it was, but the overall tone left me kinda flat not to mention the imbalance between settings.

So I was researching the web trying to find a solution. I came across the Fender Custom Shop '57-'62's. Saw some vids on the tube and was quite impressed. So I hiked down to my main store and they had a set. Got to the counter...Damn! forgot my debit card. Asked the new chick behind the counter to hold 'em for me. Said she was going on break but she'd get someone to take care of it. So hiked back to get it. Got back to the store and surprise!!!! Gone! Thanks a wad biatch! Oh well. No more in stock and it would take a few Weeks to get in more. Fine. So on a lark I decided to go to another shop I haunt and they did'nt have any either. Strike two. They did however have some Dimarzio Area 58 and 61 stackers. The guy who i know pretty well at the counter said he had some 61's in his Strat and he had it at the store.

I checked it out through one of the new Marshall Jobs as well as an AC-30.
    These things sounded great and zero noise. I thought he was shank'n me as far as the total lack of noise. I thought they must be active. He sold me on a set and I went home to install them. I've got the 61 in the bridge (slightly higher output), and the 58 in the neck. Aside from a quick rewire for the middle as installing per instructions, the middle pickup became in phase.

Wired up, screwed down and restrung, I now have a killer, vintage sounding Strat with absolute zero noise. They don't sound humbucking in the least. They don't have massive output, but they recreate those classic tones that vintage Strats are known for. It's rare to have something go sideways, compromise, and be totally happy, but it was a fortunate accident. The only thing that's bugg'n me a bit is I now have one ultra vintage looking P/U cover in the center and two white, whiter than white covers on the new ones, so it looks a little jacked. The old covers don't fit on the new ones because of the way the stack is held together internally. So on a sidebar if any of you guys no how to age covers 40 yrs. right quick... let me know. (I'm thinking a UV light) Anyway. I've been jammin' away on my o'l plank and love it again. I'd recommend these pickups to anyone trying to regain that classic tone minus the hum. Gigging next thurday. We'll see how she sounds full up.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rit yellow dye and coffee works well for me. Or Reranch tinted clear works well.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool deal.
    Nothing like a surprize goin good.
    Rub some dark brown shoe polish on the underside and see if you get the tint you want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.18.14 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do the DiMarzio covers come off? Soaking them in coffee will give them a sort of aged look.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

They do come off, but they are right snug against the coils. They also have a thinner wall thickness compared to Fender covers. I could clearance the old covers with a Dremel, but I'd rather not screw them up.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.18.14 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ron4406's suggestion of shoe polish seems like a safe bet, especially if the covers are a thinner plastic. A tinted clear coat seems like a good idea too. Bunnyman, is ReRanch pretty durable when sprayed on plastic?

I'm curious whether the UV light will work. Hope you try it!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric M View Post
    Ron4406's suggestion of shoe polish seems like a safe bet, especially if the covers are a thinner plastic. A tinted clear coat seems like a good idea too. Bunnyman, is ReRanch pretty durable when sprayed on plastic?

I'm curious whether the UV light will work. Hope you try it!
    Real durable. I use it on pickguards and pup covers. I still like yellow RIT dye mixed with coffee best, however.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    Real durable. I use it on pickguards and pup covers. I still like yellow RIT dye mixed with coffee best, however.
    I'm waiting until we get some new tin lights in at our shop. They are one of the stronget UV bulbs available. We use them to determine which is the tin side of the glass before we cast our product. The tin residue on the glass surface glows bright with the UV. It should do the trick. Sometimes guys forget to turn them off and leave them face down on our carpet covered tables, and they waste the color from the carpet in less than an hour. Their like the ultimate black light. Remember that friends episode where Ross whitened his teeth? With these things you could see his teeth from space!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

No insight on the pickup covers, but I am interested in the pickup combo. Can you post a recording?

For another user, Lincoln Brewster uses the same set of pickups and gets an awesome tone. He also uses a POD xt, so I'm not sure how much his tone is driven by the pickups and how much is from the POD.

http://www.fender.com/video/index.php?video=59

There are some great solos. Warning: it's "gospel" music.
    Last edited by clawedmonet; 02.17.09 at 11:55 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clawedmonet View Post
    No insight on the pickup covers, but I am interested in the pickup combo. Can you post a recording?

For another user, Lincoln Brewster uses the same set of pickups and gets an awesome tone. He also uses a POD xt, so I'm not sure how much his tone is driven by the pickups and how much is from the POD.

http://www.fender.com/video/index.php?video=59

There are some great solos. Warning: it's "gospel" music.
    I'll get down to business with it this Weekend as far as recording the Strat. I'm busy this week recording some new song heads with my reg. guitars for the band so we can go in and rehearse. What do you guys recommend as far as a site to post music on so I can link or embed? I'd rather not go the Youtube route. I'm a bit new to that venue. By the way...thanks for the ideas as far as the P/U covers go. I'll try the UV light first, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the Rit/coffee deal.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 02.18.09 at 12:38 PM.