Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Buffalo plane crash a mystery

50 die as Bombardier Q400 crashes

http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/587009

Canadian officials are at the scene of a deadly plane crash in Clarence Center, a small hamlet 32 kilometres northeast of Buffalo, to determine if any of the 49 people killed on the flight are Canadian.

"We have no reports at this time of any Canadians who are involved. But we do have representatives from our Consulate General who are at the crash site and they are in contact with local authorities and airline authorities," said Lisa Monette, spokesperson with the department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade.

A Toronto-built Bombardier twin-engine turboprop Q400 crashed into a home around 10:20 p.m. last night, sending a huge fireball into the night sky, killing 44 passengers, four crewmembers, an off-duty pilot and one person on the ground.

Many Canadians fly out of Buffalo to take advantage of cheaper airfares. Although officials have identified everyone onboard, no information on the nationalities of passengers has been released, pending notification of family members.

Witnesses heard the aircraft sputtering before it went down in light snow and fog. Flames silhouetted the shattered home after Continental Connection Flight 3407 plummeted into it around about eight kilometres from Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

Clarence Center has a population of about 28,700. The neighbourhood consists of a tightly knit cluster of older homes with middle-class residents who have lived there for many years.

At a 4 a.m. press conference, Erie County executive Chris Collins said a woman and a child managed to escape the home with "very minor injuries," he added. One person in the home was killed.

At least 12 other houses on the street were evacuated, several of which were also damaged.

"It (the plane) basically dove right into the top of the house . . . clearly a direct hit," said David Bissonette, an emergency official for the town of Clarence. "It's remarkable that it only took out one house. It could've easily taken out the whole neighbourhood."

Bissonette agreed it could indicate a steep trajectory. He added that prior to the crash, the plane appeared to be in a normal landing pattern and was in an approach path.

"The only recognizable piece of the plane left is the tail," Bissonette said.

He also described the weather conditions as being normal. Temperatures hovered around 0C and there was light snow falling.

Officials said "the scene was still very hot" and investigators likely won't be able to start looking into the cause of the crash until late morning or early afternoon. They are hoping to start recovering bodies at around noon.

A user of LiveATC.net captured part of the air traffic control conversation. The voice of a female pilot on the flight can be heard communicating with traffic control minutes before the crash, no urgent concerns apparent.

A minute later, the controller tries to contact the plane but receives no response. The controller tries again before asking another plane for help.

"Delta 1998, look off your right side about five miles for a Dash 8 about 2,300 (feet). You see anything there?" he asks.

"Negative," the Delta pilot says.

The controller can then be heard broadcasting to "contact state police or the sheriff's department. You need to find out if anything is on the ground.

"The aircraft was five miles (8 km) out and all of a sudden, we have no response from the aircraft," the controller said.

As the morning sun began peeking over the horizon, smoke could still be seen rising from the scene several hours after the crash.

An FBI agent said it was believed that most of the excess jet fuel had burnt off.

"Continental extends its deepest sympathy to the family members and loved ones of those involved in this accident," Larry Kellner, chairman and CEO of Continental Airlines, said in a written statement released just before 4 a.m.

"We are providing our full assistance to Colgan Air (operator of the aircraft) so that together we can provide as much support as possible for all concerned."

Bombardier released a written statement early this morning.

"We extend our sympathies to the families of those who perished in this accident. Bombardier has dispatched a product safety and technical team to the site to assist the National Transportation Safety Board with their investigation," the statement read.

"Until such time as the investigators release any information or findings, Bombardier cannot comment further or speculate on the cause of this accident."

This recent crash comes less than a month after US Airways pilot Chesley "Sulley" Sullenberger guided his crippled plane onto the Hudson River off Manhattan, saving the lives of all 155 people aboard. Birds were blamed for disabling both engines.

Concerned friends and family are asked to call 1-800-621-3263 for more information.

Family members of the victims have been moved to Cheektowaga Senior Citizen Center where they have access to a chapel and councillors.

11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Can you imagine sitting on your sofa, falling asleep with the TV on when all of the sudden a freaking plane drops into your living room and kills you?

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Can you imagine sitting on your sofa, falling asleep with the TV on when all of the sudden a freaking plane drops into your living room and kills you?

I actually have nightmares about it on a fairly regular basis. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's students fly over this area on a daily basis, and while I realize they have to learn all of these "recovery" manuevers, I don't see the need to do it over my house!

Damn, I can hear one overhead right now...
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 2,232 Times in 1,350 Posts

MSNBC is reporting that one of the passengers on the plane was Beverly Eckert a 9-11 widow who was on the way to Buffalo to attend a memorial service for her late husband Sean, who was working in the WTT on 9-11

wow, I can't imagine a family going through that kind of public tragedy twice

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    MSNBC is reporting that one of the passengers on the plane was Beverly Eckert a 9-11 widow who was on the way to Buffalo to attend a memorial service for her late husband Sean, who was working in the WTT on 9-11

How unbelievable is that? And just plain awful.
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Seems alot of those puddle jumper propeller commercial planes have gone down over the last 15 yrs. I hate flying in those planes. RIP
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:16 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It looks like the attention is being aimed at icing on the wings. Other planes in the area were reporting build up of ice as a result of the snowy/icy conditions. That is the usual suspect when a plane goes straight down and there is no sign of the pilots trying to straighten up at all.

What I find amazing right now is that one person was killed in the house while the wife and daughter escaped with minor injuries.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

Yes, incredibly sad

WASHINGTON (AP) -- One of the victims of the Buffalo commuter plane crash, Beverly Eckert, was a Sept. 11 widow who put her never-ending grief to good use to make the country safer.

President Barack Obama, speaking in the White House's East Room, said Eckert "was an inspiration to me and to so many others, and I pray that her family finds peace and comfort in the hard days ahead."

A week before her death, Eckert met with Obama at the White House as part of a group of 9/11 families and relatives of those killed in the bombing of the USS Cole, discussing how the new administration would handle terror suspects.

Eckert was flying to Buffalo Thursday night to celebrate what would have been her husband Sean Rooney's 58th birthday.

When he died in the World Trade Center, she became one of the most visible, tearful faces in the aftermath of the terror attacks.

Carol Ashley, whose daughter died at the World Trade Center, said the grim details of Eckert's death are particularly painful to Eckert's friends among 9/11 families.

"The fact that it was a plane crash, it was fire, it was reminiscent of 9/11 that way, that's just very difficult," said Ashley, a retired schoolteacher from Long Island.

She carried that grief to Congress as she tried to make the government do a better job protecting its citizens from terrorism.

Her husband worked at Aon Corp., a risk management firm, at the 98th floor of the south tower.

Eckert would cry when she told the story about how her husband - who was her high school sweetheart - called her on the morning of the attacks, and told her he loved her just before there was a loud explosion and nothing more.

She became part of a small group of Sept. 11 widows, mothers, and children who became amateur lobbyists, ultimately forcing lawmakers in 2004 to pass sweeping reforms of the U.S. intelligence apparatus.

They spent months walking the halls of Congress. All of the women were grieving, but Eckert seemed unable or uninterested in holding back her tears.

When it was over and they'd won passage of the intelligence reform law, Eckert vowed to quit her high-profile role "cold turkey." All she wanted, she said, was to go home, buy groceries, and return to something like a regular life.

"I did all of this for Sean's memory, I did it for him," she said, crying again. "There is a euphoria in knowing that we reached the top of the hill. ... I just wanted Sean to come home from work. Maybe now, someone else's Sean will get to come home."

Eckert was flying to her hometown Thursday night when the plane crashed on approach to the Buffalo airport.

After the 2001 attacks, she co-chaired the 9/11 Family Steering Committee, a group of activists devoted to exposing government failures that led up to the 2001 attacks, and fixing them.

She pushed for a 9/11 Commission. She pushed the Bush administration to provide more information to the commission. And when the commission's work was over, she pushed Congress to adopt their recommendations.

For Eckert, the public role was not easy.

One night after a long day at Congress, she found herself in the New York City train station, without a connecting train to her home in Stamford, Connecticut.

"We slept in the train station. We had no place else to go. That's when you look at yourself and say, 'What am I doing? How can we possibly get this done?'."

As Congress hemmed and hawed, Eckert vowed to sleep there, too, if it would get the law passed.

After the law passed, Eckert turned her energies to Habitat for Humanity, helping build homes for low-income families.

"I'm in shock, I just can't believe it," said Carie Lemack, whose mother died Sept. 11 on one of the hijacked planes. "Beverly had a can-do attitude about everything, and she never gave up."
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

evidently two members of chuck mangione's band were on the plane and are now dead....seriously.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    evidently two members of chuck mangione's band were on the plane and are now dead....seriously.
    Yep. Saw that. They were supposed to be playing a gig tonight. I always feel compelled to read through the details of the passengers when these things happen. It amazes me how routine some of the trips were for these people...just going to visit a friend, returning from a business trip (like I do 10 time a year) etc. etc. Scary to say the least but not something we can over think or we will find ourselves on our couches afraid to go out.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    Yep. Saw that. They were supposed to be playing a gig tonight. I always feel compelled to read through the details of the passengers when these things happen. It amazes me how routine some of the trips were for these people...just going to visit a friend, returning from a business trip (like I do 10 time a year) etc. etc. Scary to say the least but not something we can over think or we will find ourselves on our couches afraid to go out.
    Where was Chuck? Did he take the bus or another plane? Damn!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Where was Chuck? Did he take the bus or another plane? Damn!
    Chuck lives in Rochester which is not too far from Buffalo so he could drive it in just over an hour. Needless to say the show with the Buffalo Philharmonic on Friday night was canceled.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I actually have nightmares about it on a fairly regular basis. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's students fly over this area on a daily basis, and while I realize they have to learn all of these "recovery" manuevers, I don't see the need to do it over my house!

Damn, I can hear one overhead right now...
    Are they flying Cessna 172's? I know people that build those things. You have good reason to be concerned.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

I also read earlier that the plane was on auto-pilot when it crashed, and that it came down flat, not nose first like some had speculated earlier.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:46 AM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I also read earlier that the plane was on auto-pilot when it crashed, and that it came down flat, not nose first like some had speculated earlier.
    That doesn't sound right,an alarm should have sounded before the plane stalled.