Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Jump
    Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

11.19.15 @ 07:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Which has been the best decade for music?

Which has been the best decade for music?
    50's
    60's
    70's
    80's
    90's
    00's

If you fancy having a vote go to
    http://www.thisdayinmusic.com
    "I gave up drugs when the doctor told me I had 6 months to live" Keith Richards

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

For me I have to go with the 70's followed by the 80's.

It sure as hell isn't the 00's.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

1966-1976.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

tough call...seems like after about 1995/6 music just sort of stopped being good...at least popular music. Obviously there is plenty of new music being pumped out by lots and lots of regional and not so well known artists but it seemed like from 1955 all the way through the mid nineties, you could turn on a radio station and hear something really good after a couple of minutes.

The eighties were a bit of a drag but there was so much good "alternative" music going just below the mainstream radar it's hard to vote against that decade but because the best stuff wasn't in the main spotlight I can't give it the "best decade" award.

The seventies had a bunch of great stuff but i think there was as much throwaway music in the mainstream spotlight as there was good stuff so can't give it to that either.

I'm going to pull a chef, cheat a little bit and say 1964-1974...that ten year span really gets the best of everything. elvis at his vocal peak, the entire beatles catalog plus their best solo output, pink floyd, led zeppelin, queen, bowie, punk, psychedelic, motown, pop, everything was great.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'd agree with Broken on the post 95-96 deal, as i have very little material in my collection past then. Yeah, the 70's had a lot of fluff, but then again, so did the 80's. For me, it's just impossible to pick one ten year span, as I end up leaving another band or two out if I shift the timeline.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

The 80's are my pick. Van Halen was at their absolute zenith and I'm a big fan of alot of the so called hair metal bands.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Me and a few mates had a night long debate about this once.

Funny thing is, when you actually check what was around, just about every era was as bad as now. You had some great bands but, if you check the charts, most weeks were 95% rubbish.

It's just that we have forgotten the rubbish and we remember fondly the great music.

I think that most people's favourite musical eras tie to a particular point in their lives, usually from the early teens to early twenties. Before that we weren't so aware and afterwards we had less time or, even more importantly, less sense of wonder when it came to music.

I am not even aware of most of what is around these days but when I was 18 I knew the charts and just about (what seemed like) every good underground band that there was.

There is some great music out there I'm sure. I'm just not tuning in to find out.

My era goes from very late seventies to mid eighties and yet I hated most of the fashions in music from that era. It did, however, give me The stranglers, the clash, rush, japan, my favourite Bowie period ..
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

I think this is one of those "there's a thread around here about this somewhere" threads. I'd probably lean more towards the '70s - groups like ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Queen, KISS, Paul McCartney (esp. with Wings) & Elton John all had better stuff in the '70s than any other decade, plus you still had the Eagles and Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zeppelin put out the bulk of their work, but like others, if I could split, I'd probably do from '74 to '83 as the majority of the '70s music I like came out in '74 or later (probably because I turned 10 in late '73 and started paying more attention to music other than the Disney records I had when I was a kid) while into the early '80s you had the bulk of Van Halen's good stuff on disc as well as the Police and the Cars and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Talking Heads and J. Geils Band and Bob Seger and AC/DC, plus a classic run from the Rolling Stones of Some Girls to Tattoo You. Plus you had the highpoint of the punk scene. The '80s weren't far behind as you did have continued output from most of the aforementioned bands, plus newcomers like U2, Billy Idol, INXS and finally by the end of the decade, Guns 'N F'n Roses.

Favorite VH Song

tough decision
    Last Online

05.04.13 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the rock of the late 60's and all of the 70's.
    Van Halen

April 1978 Palladium, NYC
    March 1984 MSG, NYC
    July 1986 Meadowlands, NJ
    Oct 1988 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    July 1993 Jones Beach, NY
    April 1995 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    Oct 2007 Mohegan Sun, CT
    Nov 2007 Nassau Coliseum, NY
    May 2008 MSG, NYC

DLR June 2003 Westbury Music Fair, NY

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I think this is one of those "there's a thread around here about this somewhere" threads. I'd probably lean more towards the '70s - groups like ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Queen, KISS, Paul McCartney (esp. with Wings) & Elton John all had better stuff in the '70s than any other decade, plus you still had the Eagles and Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zeppelin put out the bulk of their work, but like others, if I could split, I'd probably do from '74 to '83 as the majority of the '70s music I like came out in '74 or later (probably because I turned 10 in late '73 and started paying more attention to music other than the Disney records I had when I was a kid) while into the early '80s you had the bulk of Van Halen's good stuff on disc as well as the Police and the Cars and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Talking Heads and J. Geils Band and Bob Seger and AC/DC, plus a classic run from the Rolling Stones of Some Girls to Tattoo You. Plus you had the highpoint of the punk scene. The '80s weren't far behind as you did have continued output from most of the aforementioned bands, plus newcomers like U2, Billy Idol, INXS and finally by the end of the decade, Guns 'N F'n Roses.
    the late seventies leading into the eighties were very very good. Petty, talking heads, billy joel, the Cars...lots and lots of great stuff there not to mention Zep.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:28 PM
    Liked 547 Times in 381 Posts

Its impossible to say.

They all over good and bad.

Id say the 80's are the best for Van Halen, but as a whole?

Not a chance.
    [B]
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    You and I are close in age, and I lean towards this time period as well. Great time to be alive! Although, I do like quite a bit from the sixties too. My run ended about mid eighties.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children 1st
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Hmm.

I'll go 1971-1980

It's bookended with Who's Next, Zep IV, and L.A. Woman to Permanent Waves, Back In Black, and WACF. Oh, and a few decent albums in between..

Not bad..
    Last edited by HippieLettuce; 02.12.09 at 02:21 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a whole, gotta go with the 60s.

Even pop-style music was cooler then. Motown stuff was cool, eventhough it's not may favorite type of music.

This decade really included almost everybody truly relevant to rock with probably the fewest exceptions. Part of it probably had a lot to do with that being the last era before business REALLY got in the way (although the machine started chewing up artists towards that latter half - ask any true Jimi fan ).

My only mis-givings are that Who's Next didn't come out until '71, Zep & the Stones had some monster stuff in the 70s as well. Not to mention VH & Montrose & anything with Ritchie Blackmoore.

But the 70s had a lot of crap pop (and I'm not even mentioning disco), thinking as far as a wider scale of popular music goes.

Just opinion.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hard question because I can find music I really feel strong about from all the decades since the 50's. With a gun to my head, I'd say the 70's. My all time favorites are Led Zeppelin and Floyd which hit their creative peaks in the 70's. Couple that with Brian Eno, another fave, hitting his solo stride and the Ramones and the Clash (and of course VH) and I'd have to say the 70's Rocked!