Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Default All I can say is WOW

Ok, I don't get to do this much at all, and never like I did tonight, but I got to crank my 5150 (post lead on 7) (the wife is away on business for one night only).

Jesus H Christ I think I just had a life changing experience. I knocked a bunch of pictures off the wall. I mean, I have it sounding pretty damn good at low volumes, but when opened up this is a completely different amp. I've never heard anything so ferocious. Here was tonight's setlist, in order:

Whole Lotta Rosie
    Unchained
    Atomic Punk
    Humans Being
    Tush
    Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Ain't Talkin bout Love
    Eruption
    You Really Got Me
    How Many More Times
    Hot For Teacher
    Panama
    Everybody Wants Some
    Big Finish-get some good feedback going, turn on the flange, start scraping the springs at the back and ride the whammy

My dog loved the show. My cat, not so much. My hearing isn't so good at the moment, but I think this grin I have isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Just what the doctor ordered on a rainy foggy Wednesday night. Peace.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Wairning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 04:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that is the funneist post I have seen here in a long time....I am still laughing only beacuse my wife and kids went out this afternoon and I did the same thing with my new EVH Fender Wolfgang through my 5150 combo, and I as well knocked a picture off the wall.....LOL to funny.....We are all fucked on this site.....Boy inside the man !
    [/SIGPIC]See Ya Derek !....5150canuck

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I recall recording a track in my studio several years ago that called for "balls out tone." I had my 5150 and cab in the main drum room and turned everything up all the way. It shook the walls of the studio and was so loud I had to crank the playback in the control room up to ridiculous levels just to hear it over my amp in the other room. It was a crazy-loud night of recording, but I don't ever recall liking the tone of my 5150 more than I did that evening.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya man! That's great you got to do that!

It's all about the ingenious design of the 5150 -- it is cold biased so it sounds, eh, ok at lower volumes, but get it up to 5-7 and it gets into a perfect window for the power tubes which lets the amp really shine. I know some people claim that a (hotter) bias mod will get you there at lower volumes than a stock one, but nothing sounds like a good old cold biased 5150 cranked up!

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

My wife is gonna be gone Friday, maybe i'll grab my EBMM and Wolfgang and crank my 5150!
    Haven't plugged into it in over a year!
    Ive only used a POD XT with headphones the past year - @ home anyways.
    I use a Fender hot rot deville on tour.
    JB
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ya, these amps sound good cranked. thats all there is to it, its how they were designed. you think eddie gave a fuck how it sounded at 2? haha.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i must agree with everyone so far, we got to support The Troggs and Suzie Quatro a few years ago at a large bikers gig and i ran my 5150 at 10 on both channels, it sounded like god moving planets around, even the sound guys liked it.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150canuck View Post
    I think that is the funneist post I have seen here in a long time....I am still laughing only beacuse my wife and kids went out this afternoon and I did the same thing with my new EVH Fender Wolfgang through my 5150 combo, and I as well knocked a picture off the wall.....LOL to funny.....We are all fucked on this site.....Boy inside the man !
    Im wonderin how a certain other guitar sound cranked though that thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ron4406 View Post
    Im wonderin how a certain other guitar sound cranked though that thing.
    I'm sure it smokes! Anyone who disses the old 5150's has obviously not played them with quality tubes with the master above 6. I have an original blockletter and I would'nt trade it for anything. It still blows people away. Recently I just brought my head along to our rehearsal space as they had some cabinets I wanted to try. My favorite was an old straight Marshall with checkered cloth. (8 ohms.) It had Celestion Greenbacks in it and OMG! I thought my matching PV 5150 cab sounded great. I find it hard to put into any other words than Nirvana! Our new bass player who is also a great guitar player said the sound left cock tracks in his shorts. It was the most bitchin' sounding combination I've played through period. I know what I'm loading my good ol' '67 Hiwatt cab with.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 02.12.09 at 01:45 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Yup, my 5150 is the block letter one. I've got EH tubes across the board-pre and power sections. I use a Crate Blue Vodoo cab. Terrible heads, but the cabs are terrific. Loaded with Eminence speakers but I haven't been able to find out which ones yet. I know they were made for the Crate BV and Crate calls them American Vintage speakers, just not sure which Eminence speakers. They got a serious low end whump to them without being muddy at all. There was not even a hint of fizziness to the tone, so I'm not sure where 5150 haters are getting all of this bees in a can nonsense from. Even at bedroom volumes I don't get much of that at all. Maybe I just got lucky with this amp? I get no popping, crackling from this amp like when I put it on standby or power down, I don't get a whole lot of hiss the way some people describe, even at cranked volumes like last night. It definitely didn't sound like Niagara Falls the way some people have described the hiss of the 5150. I'm definitely not getting rid of this amp ever.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.14.09 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I mean it's no Plexi or anything but they arent terrible. The newer ones sound like garbage though, tubes are getting really shitty. Mine still sounds ok and has pretty burnt in JJ's. I agree, my tone is also not that buzzy at all, but it's all depends on luck I guess.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:06 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Yep, as with any 100 watt head, you really have to get them turned up to really hear what they sound like.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Yup, my 5150 is the block letter one. I've got EH tubes across the board-pre and power sections. I use a Crate Blue Vodoo cab. Terrible heads, but the cabs are terrific. Loaded with Eminence speakers but I haven't been able to find out which ones yet. I know they were made for the Crate BV and Crate calls them American Vintage speakers, just not sure which Eminence speakers. They got a serious low end whump to them without being muddy at all. There was not even a hint of fizziness to the tone, so I'm not sure where 5150 haters are getting all of this bees in a can nonsense from. Even at bedroom volumes I don't get much of that at all. Maybe I just got lucky with this amp? I get no popping, crackling from this amp like when I put it on standby or power down, I don't get a whole lot of hiss the way some people describe, even at cranked volumes like last night. It definitely didn't sound like Niagara Falls the way some people have described the hiss of the 5150. I'm definitely not getting rid of this amp ever.
    Yeah. I mean I still get hiss. It's a high gain amp after all, but getting away from "recommended replacement tubes" which are the Chinese make restamped Peavey is a huge step. I've run JJ's or Phillips for years now and the hiss has been cut in half, and it is much more responsive to touch. Plus I run a Boss noise gate in the FX loop. With those Chinese turkeys everything had that described fizzy sound. Even the clean channel which alot of people claim useless became very wine like, with a nice wholop. Iv'e made no mods to the amp, but within a week of purchase back in the day, there was a problem with a cap and it was replaced at the dealer. Who knows....maybe it is of a different value and that's why it sounds less buzzsaw, but whatever the case, I've been very lucky with it. No failures ever since the first week I bought it all those years ago. As for it not being a vintage Marshall Super Lead 100w. there's no comparison. I have both so if I want a true Marshall SL sound...that's what my A/B box is for.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 02.13.09 at 09:40 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I also have the original 5150 with JJ replacement tubes.
    I run (2) Marshall A/B cabinets and it sounds awesome.

Unfortunately, I also get the "hiss" and the clean channel has ALOT to be desired.

I've been considering sending it out to FJA for a couple mods ...
    http://www.fjamods.com/5150.html

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:40 PM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

I never can play mine that loud...4.5 is the most I have ever turned it up in practice. I'm thinking I may get an attenuator so I can crank it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!