Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RUNAROUND
    Last Online

09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New EVH Wolfgang Neck

I have read several articles and reveiws on the new wolfgang and how the neck was more in the music man old kramer frame of make and not like the peavey wolfgang at all. I trust most everyone on this boards opinion and was wondering if any of you that have bought the new wolfgang would compare it to the old wolfgang necks. I never really liked the peavey necks so wanted to get some input before i took a $3000 risk. I am a devoted music man player and still own several of the old wolfgangs but i am reluctant to buy the new evh model if the neck is like the peavey neck. Unfortunatly i have no way of going anywhere and checking one out because of my location so any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks again guys.............
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

01.26.13 @ 09:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

im not a big fan of the peavey neck, the new one is smaller, and feels much better in my opinion. it doesnt have that chunky feel, yet its not too thin.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good to know Anthony.

Alot of folks say the EBMM and the Peavey have the same neck.
    IMO, nothing could be further from the truth.
    They have a similar oiled finish, but I assure you they are completely different.

I'm not a fan of the Peavey neck at all.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

The EBMM had a 10" radius, and the Peavey Wolfgang was 15". The new Wolfgang has a 12"-16" compound radius, so in all likelihood it will feel a little flatter like the Peavey.

To my hands the EBMM and Peavey felt very similar in back contour; the radius was the more noticeable difference.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

01.26.13 @ 09:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Good to know Anthony.

Alot of folks say the EBMM and the Peavey have the same neck.
    IMO, nothing could be further from the truth.
    They have a similar oiled finish, but I assure you they are completely different.

I'm not a fan of the Peavey neck at all.
    i would agree with there. not even close. its FAT. not my first preference for that type of guitar. on the other hand i have a les paul with a 50's neck which is fat. i do like that one.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ANTHONY5150 View Post
    i would agree with there. not even close. its FAT. not my first preference for that type of guitar. on the other hand i have a les paul with a 50's neck which is fat. i do like that one.
    Yeah, I think there's a little more going on than just the difference in fretboard radius.
    I agree, the Peavey feels really fat in comparison and the compound radius is just uncomfortable in my hands, whereas the EBMM has more of a "C" shaped which feels more "tapered" than "contoured".

Hard to believe how someone (mainly Ed) could go from the one neck to the other and be completely okay with it. Weird.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Wairning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 04:19 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well you all cunfused the hell out of me, I have all of the above EBMM EVH, Peavey Wolfgang and new EVH Fender Wolfgang....The kramer necks felt nothing like the EBMM OR Peavey ??....The new neck in my opionion for me is the best of the bunch, it is a little flater and wider and more like a strat or Kramer neck....Why would you buy a guitar with out trying it first ?? and at $3K I would be playing it for hours before buying....I played my EVH new Wolfie for 1 1/2 hours before I left the store with it.....Anything on a guitar is personel, what I like you may not....Ed built this guitar to his specs, not everyone may like it....I think it's the best he has ever done in my books !.....Try it play it get use to it, don't just by it because Eddie Fuckin Van Halen plays it.....Buy it because it's a great Guitar which it is ! (or not)

Good luck !
    [/SIGPIC]See Ya Derek !....5150canuck

Favorite VH Album

Fair Wairning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just kidding about the Eddie Fuckin Van Halen part, I have bought stuff he uses with out trying it first (like his Phase 90).....But never a $3K guitar......Every player that's into Ed should try this guitar, it really is a great guitar...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Wairning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dino

That's beacuse in the past what he sold was not what he played, I remember years ago a guy was backstage at a VH show and had a chance to try one of Ed's Peavey Wolfgangs....He said to Ed this is much heavier and and neck is different to you production model...He just smiled and laughed

Even the Soldano people will tell you up to this latest Amp, when Ed was in the studio that is all he used or his old faithfull Marshall Plexi...Ed was playing Soldanos up to 2004...He loves those amps, I have asked him about it.

I think things have changed now because he trusts the Fender product more...I bet all his stage Peavey Wolfgangs were not bass wood, mayby ash or poplar.
    Last edited by 5150canuck; 02.11.09 at 12:07 PM.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Ahh, conspiracy theories! I love it!!!!!

I can't blame Ed for liking Soldanos...
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150canuck View Post
    Dino

That's beacuse in the past what he sold was not what he played, I remember years ago a guy was backstage at a VH show and had a chance to try one of Ed's Peavey Wolfgangs....He said to Ed this is much heavier and and neck is different to you production model...He just smiled and laughed

That may be, but ....
    1) Ed's 5150 was never a production guitar so it makes perfect sense that the production Kramers feel nothing like Ed's 5150 or the EBMM.

2) The neck carve on Ed's 5150 neck was supposedly digitally mapped by EBMM and used on their EVH models. These guitars were not mass produced like the Peaveys or the new Fenders. They were all hand crafted so it serves good reason to believe a company that would take that much time, effort, and pride in their work would have offered the same guitar that Ed actually used.

I'm not knocking the Peavey or Fender ... I'm just say'n.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Wairning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not knocking them either I own all of them, I am just stating that the production guitars Ed puts out (Peavey) (I am not sure about the EBMM )were not made of the same materials or wood as the one he uses on stage.....Lets face the fact it is all about making money and marketing, they use basswood beacuse it's cheaper than other hardwoods and increases their margin.....I do think things have changed now with the new guitar, but I still think his stuff is tweaked more than the gear he puts out on the street.

I am sure if we had a tour of 5150 we would find him still playing old gear from the past, he even said he used his 5150 Kramer for some songs on F.U.C.K. and has used Soldano and Marshall amps when he was endorsed by Peavey and was playing them live.....

And about the digital neck thing on the EBMM EVH, who knows what the truth is but he will always find a way to use a angle to sell gear....I am not knocking him I would do the same fucking thing if I were him......He is the king of the six strings, but he also a buissness man (look at the shoes coming out) are they to his specs as well ??...LOL....Just food for thought
    Last edited by 5150canuck; 02.11.09 at 06:40 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.06.14 @ 09:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree that Ed has swayed people all around in what he uses. And i dont believe him as well on what he says.

I do believe though that the EBMM was a digital copy of his 5150, you can actually see when he plays his 5150 that the neck was narrow and small and clubby like the EBMM.

Just for the record the 5150 was made of ash anyway. Look at the pic! crazy huh?

yup thats ash fellas, swamp most likely from what people say cause it was light as a feather.

cheers!

On Fire
    Last Online

04.25.10 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are the frets really vintage size (small) as they are detailed?

Thanks
    Chris

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tone? View Post
    I agree that Ed has swayed people all around in what he uses. And i dont believe him as well on what he says.

I do believe though that the EBMM was a digital copy of his 5150, you can actually see when he plays his 5150 that the neck was narrow and small and clubby like the EBMM.

Just for the record the 5150 was made of ash anyway. Look at the pic! crazy huh?

yup thats ash fellas, swamp most likely from what people say cause it was light as a feather.

cheers!
    Where did you find that picture, is it the real Kramer 5150, and are there more pics where that came from!?