Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Big Assed Fire In Australia

I tend to keep an eye on Australia's wildfire season because I live in California and their fire seasons tend to mirror ours. So this raises the pucker-factor for me:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5686219.ece

Scores confirmed dead in worst fires in Australia's history

(AndrewBrownbill/EPA)
    A bushfire burns in the Bunyip Forest near the township of Tonimbuk in Victoria
    Image :1 of 4
    Sophie Tedmanson, Sydney
    The deadliest bushfires in Australia's history are still raging across the south of the country, leaving hundreds of homes destroyed and towns decimated.

Described as “hell on earth”, Victoria is currently ablaze with 26 fires, including one with a 60-mile firefront. They began yesterday amid record-breaking temperatures and left a trail of death and devastation across the state, burning through 350,000 hectares. 50 fires are also now burning across the border in New South Wales, where temperatures reached 46C today.

The Australian Army has been called in to assist the thousands of weary firefighters who have been battling the blazes over the past 24 hours, and the government has announced a $10 million (£4.5 million) emergency relief fund to help the thousands of Victorians now left homeless. The fires are now officially the worst in Australia's history, surpassing the death toll of the Ash Wednesday fires which claimed 76 lives when they tore through Victoria and South Australia in February, 1983.

Kevin Rudd, the Australian Prime Minister, toured the worst-affected areas earlier today, offering support to people who had lost everything, and was even a shoulder to cry on for one devastated man.

“Hell in all its fury has visited the good people of Victoria in the last 24 hours,” Mr Rudd said. “And many good people now lie dead.”

John Brumby, the emotional Victorian Premier, said it was one of the “darkest days in Victoria’s history” and described the deadly inferno as “hell on earth”.

The death toll – which has been climbing by the hour – now stands at 84. There are fears it will rise as many people are still missing in the worst affected areas. Two children are among the dead and 18 people remain in critical condition in hospital with burns and other life-threatening injuries.

Witnesses said the inferno was like a nuclear bomb and have told of trees "exploding" with the intensity of the heat. They recounted seeing burned-out cars abandoned as their owners scrambled to reach safety.

Strathewen resident Mary Avola escaped the flames but her husband of 43 years, Peter, died after they fled their home in separate cars trying to reach a nearby sporting oval.

"He was behind me in another car. He was behind me for a while and we tried to reach the oval but the gates were locked," Mrs Avola told Melbourne's Herald Sun website. "He just told me to go and that's the last time I saw him." Authorities have since found his body.

Marie Jones, who was visiting Kinglake, where about 12 people perished, told Melbourne’s The Age newspaper that a badly-burnt man had arrived at the property where she was staying with his baby daughter, and told her his wife and other child had been killed.

"He was so badly burnt - his little girl was burnt, but not as badly as her dad, and he just came down and he said 'Look, I've lost my wife, I've lost my other kid, I just need you to save [my daughter]'," Ms Jones told the newspaper.

700 homes have so far been confirmed lost, with 550 in the area of Kinglake and Kinglake west, about 30 miles north-east of Melbourne, where many of the deaths occurred.

David Jarwood, a spokesman for the Victorian Country Fire Association, referred to the Kinglake complex – two major fires that have joined – which is blazing its way through the area north of Melbourne.

“It is now burning its way into quite rugged terrain, heading towards the Alpine National Park, so it will take many days to get it under control,” Mr Jarwood told The Times.

Another fire is threatening Beechworth in Victoria’s north east.

Other fire-affected areas include the regional city of Bendigo, in central Victoria, and the town of Marysville in the Yarra Valley, which has been destroyed with only one building left standing. In Victoria, 14,000 homes are also without power.

Mr Jarwood said many of the deaths occurred when people waited too long to evacuate their homes and were trapped when the fire hit their vehicles. Six people died in an horrific car crash at Kinglake while they tried to outrun the blaze.

As the Prime Minister announced the emergency bushfire relief fund and the support of the Army, other Australian states banded together with Victoria, with the Premiers of South Australia and New South Wales offering to send firefighters and equipment across the border.

Mr Brumby said the Army would be “providing logistics and support”.

“That will tend to be in terms of fuel, logistic support, dozers, some personnel and they will help control what is a very difficult situation,” Mr Brumby said.

Several of the fires are believed to have been deliberately lit, and arsonists are hampering firefighting efforts with some blamed for relighting fires that had already been extinguished.

Yesterday the temperature reached 46.4C – Melbourne’s hottest day on record. However, conditions look set to improve as the level has lowered across most of the state, and the forecast for the next few days is for more mild temperatures in the low 20s.
    My heart goes out to those folks.

On a side note, I was suprised that Australia hasn't updated their roads in fire-prone areas to eliminate bottle-necks when people try to escape in their cars. After so many were killed in the Oakland hills fire of 1990 after being trapped in their cars as they tried to navigate winding, two-lane roads which were too narrow for the population size of the area. They have since widened the roads in areas that lead into and out of large developements.

On the other hand, it seems that the wall of flame was such that most of those people would have been doomed on any size road.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

this kind of thing always reminds me of the Florida firestorms of 1998...which came far too close to my family's homes for me... and I was stuck up here and couldn't get a flight down there to make sure my parents were going to be OK...days of worry.....and .I just couldn't believe the damage when I got down there...horrifying to think of that happening anywhere

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

108 or so dead, the last I heard. So freakin' sad.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:37 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

WOW!!! Thats very sad. Stay safe Aussie freinds.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

This is very bad.

To compound the natural horror, authorities think that some of the fires have been started deliberately. If caught, perpetrators will be charged with murder.

Let's hope the deluge of rain in the north finds it's way south asap.

Stay safe Aussie friends.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

If found, and proven guilty, the death penalty should be brought back in. This is a massacre. No ifs, ands or buts.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Eruption
    Last Online

08.17.12 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

My brother and family lives 15 minutes from Marysville. Took some food up this afternoon and drove the kids back to my place. I just don't understand given the warning on Friday why everyone just did not get the fuck out of there, including my bro. I am pissed at him. He just stayed at the house with his wife and four kids to protect it. We were told on Friday how bad Saturday would be, people place too much emphasis on their house and belongings.

I had a bunch of friends just get in the car Saturday morning and come down to Melbourne...just in case. We were all told this was going to happen and it did. We were all warned.

It's going to be 200+ for sure, had two fireies drop in for dinner tonight on the way home to Mornington after being up at Kinglake and they are saying many people missing.

Why someone would deliberately light a fire is beyond me, as is the asshole who flicked the cigarete in Bendigo, 50 houses and 7 lives later.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    This is very bad.

To compound the natural horror, authorities think that some of the fires have been started deliberately. If caught, perpetrators will be charged with murder.

Let's hope the deluge of rain in the north finds it's way south asap.

Stay safe Aussie friends.
    It aint rained here since way before Christmas and it it just doesn't look like it. The wind is what caused the damage, more than the heat.

Every tree and shrub in my front yard is burnt black from the heat.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yep, saw a post over at the Trans Am forum I frequent about the fires from one of our members that lives Down Under. It's downright scary.
    http://transamcountry.com/community/...?topic=24072.0

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    this kind of thing always reminds me of the Florida firestorms of 1998...which came far too close to my family's homes for me... and I was stuck up here and couldn't get a flight down there to make sure my parents were going to be OK...days of worry.....and .I just couldn't believe the damage when I got down there...horrifying to think of that happening anywhere
    And here sat my relatives with sprinklers running full time on their roofs. Seemed the fires here in Flagler danced all the way around this area, but there are some places where you can still see the scars from back then...particularly on 40, West of Ormond.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

This is just horrible and my heart goes out ot all the families affected by this. I cant imagine the fear. The death toll is horrific!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...ni6iQD96890A00
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Very sad, looking like the final toll will be well over 200 people

In regards to the roads, doubt it would had made much difference, apparantly a lot of people left it very late to flee, and the smoke and ash kill any visability.
    There was at least one 4 car pile up where everyone was killed trying to get out.

Grisly job ahead for those who have to search the wrecks and burned out houses.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:46 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Nobody could predict the magnitude of this thing,the government tried to warn everyone on friday about the conditions that were hitting us on saturday.
    The conditions that hit though were beyond even the craziest of predictions,even here in the city it was 47 degrees with the hottest northerly we've ever experienced.
    Our country side just doesn't get any rain down here any more,it's been years and doesn't look like changing.
    I can't believe how many losses there has been,beyond belief.

It's great to see the rest of the country rallying behind Victoria.
    E.F.C - 1897

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Goo View Post
    Very sad, looking like the final toll will be well over 200 people

In regards to the roads, doubt it would had made much difference, apparantly a lot of people left it very late to flee, and the smoke and ash kill any visability.
    There was at least one 4 car pile up where everyone was killed trying to get out.

Grisly job ahead for those who have to search the wrecks and burned out houses.
    Yeah, I can see the problem with people leaving too late. There was a fire in Pebble Beach back in 1986 and I knew a girl who's house was destroyed in seconds. The fire came roaring up a steep canyon and they had three minutes to grab what they could and get out. She said that as they pulled out the driveway all of the windows exploded from the heat blasting in from the back of the house.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

A slideshow that was posted on an Aussie car forum:

http://www.americanmusclecarsaustral...d.php?tid=1400
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Fire 'divine retribution', says minister

"Incedendiary" abortion law reforms last year that made Victoria "the baby killing state" are responsible for the devastating bushfires, Christian leader Danny Nalllliah said yesterdy.

"Gods protection has been taken off the state, and Satan is having a go at the nation" Mr Nalliah senior pastor of Catch the Fire Ministries told The Age Newspaper.

This fruitcake is a friend of past leader of Australia, John Howard. This has to be the most tasteless crap I have seen in a long time.