Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Gird your loins Daisy Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.17.08
    Age
    57
    Location
    Goose Poop, Ohio
    Posts
    13,063
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Likes
    1,811
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

    Default 135 ice fishing dumbasses rescued from lake erie

    This afternoon the sirens went off and emts, police sherriffs and underwater recovery and, it seems, everything else with wheels and a siren, went flying past my house...... up to 500 ice fishermen were stranded on an 8 mile long ice flow......I haven't heard that many sirens since the Lonz Winery Collapse


    so here's the thing.....sure the ice was 14-18 inches thick...but it was 50 (&^%$ degrees today...and temps have been above freezing since yesterday...and sunny...which means "rotten ice" and we had a VERY strong OFF SHORE wind


    these fools went out today and when they found a big crack in the ice what did they do? turn back? HELL NO! no crack in the ice and standing water can keep a midwestern man away from his ice shanty town. NO...they built a bridge out of pallets....a bridge out of freakin' pallets...and went about their merry way


    when they found they couldn't get off the ice. because the crack had spilt dumping their bridge into the water and the wind was blowing them north to canada, frantic cell phone calls ensued and coast guard choppers were sent along with a c-130 from North Carolina. Numerous coast guard and private air boats were deployed to rescue the remaining 135 or so people (there were estimated as many as 500 out there, but many got off the ice by their own means


    emergency respones from 2 counties, the coast guard from 4 locations ...wonder how much this little excursion cost the local taxpayers
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 02.07.09 at 03:52 PM.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    We sure they weren't just filming "Grumpy Old Men 3"?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk Viking's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.21.03
    Age
    52
    Location
    Mound Valley, Kansas
    Posts
    9,045
    Favorite VH Album

    5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Likes
    39
    Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    ...wonder how much this little excursion cost the local taxpayers
    Don't worry, they'll probably just add a little something to the Stimulus Bill to take care of it.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    in cases like this don't they pass the "costs" on to the people responsible? Really what did it cost? I'm guessing the EMTs, firemen etc were all on the clock...so what are we looking at? medical supplies and then the hospital visits get billed to the patient. Could it have cost that much?

    Granted these guys are class A retards!!!!! My god.

  5. #5
    Future's in the past....
    Join Date
    03.03.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    13,090
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

    At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Saw something like this last month where you saw idiots out on the ice with their trucks and you could see them slowly floating along when the ice broke loose.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

  6. #6
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.21.03
    Posts
    3,080
    Last Online

    07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    The sheriff of the town was on CNN basically ripping these guys in no uncertain terms. Sounded a bit pissed.

  7. #7
    Gird your loins Daisy Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.17.08
    Age
    57
    Location
    Goose Poop, Ohio
    Posts
    13,063
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Likes
    1,811
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

    Default

    Yup Sheriff Bratton does not suffer fools gladly...


    and guess what? the dumbasses went back on the ice today to retrieve their equipment....the sheriff basically said if they go back out there , no rescue crews will come out.


    About three years ago a bunch of fishermen were rescued from a flow to the east...nearer the island. As soon as they got these guys off the flow they were trying to go back on for their equipment. The sheriff made a public statement where he said his emergency personell risked their lives to get these guys off the ice, but obviously these guys felt that their fishing equipment held more value than the officers lives...then they issued the fishermen tickets for failure to obey the order of a police officer.

    common sense is apparently finite, but stupidity knows no limit

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    12.25.01
    Age
    53
    Location
    Carmel, Ca
    Posts
    7,954
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

    05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    If I were the Sheriff, I would have confiscated their fishing tackle and equipment and then rented a Steamroller and forced those morons to watch it all be crushed. I'd also have Fish & Game revoke their fishing licences for three years.

    I have a soft sport for Rescue personel and I hate to see them risk their lives to save morons. They are better humans than I will ever be.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai


    My Blog:

    http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

    http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I have mixed feelings about a community's responsibility to save people from their own retarded behaviour. At some point people should be left to their own accord. There are things in life that are very dangerous. These should be done at one's own risk. Compassion is obviously hardwired into the human mind and that usually drives these sort of rescue operations but at some point, life guards, emts, firemen etc should just not respond to certain things. People need to get themselves out of their own messes. That's part of the evolution of the species and of the human spirit itself.

    In this respect I have no problem with the sherrif telling them that if they get screwed on the ice again, no one is coming for them...though I suspect he will send the crews back out there because I don't think he could get away with NOT sending them.

  10. #10
    Hang 'Em High jetguy5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.19.04
    Location
    Burlington, On, Canada, Earth
    Posts
    6,142
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 09:17 AM
    Likes
    582
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I have mixed feelings about a community's responsibility to save people from their own retarded behaviour. At some point people should be left to their own accord. There are things in life that are very dangerous. These should be done at one's own risk. Compassion is obviously hardwired into the human mind and that usually drives these sort of rescue operations but at some point, life guards, emts, firemen etc should just not respond to certain things. People need to get themselves out of their own messes. That's part of the evolution of the species and of the human spirit itself.
    Personally I think that when you take part in a high risk activity where the result is community resources are needed for a rescue etc. then you should be presented with an invoice for the cost of said rescue. Basically, you are gonna get help but you are paying for time and resources.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetguy5150 View Post
    Personally I think that when you take part in a high risk activity where the result is community resources are needed for a rescue etc. then you should be presented with an invoice for the cost of said rescue. Basically, you are gonna get help but you are paying for time and resources.
    The cost isn't really my concern, though it is a small aspect of why I feel this way. I'm still very curious...what are the costs involved in a rescue operation, other than fuel and consumables like bandaids and syringes. It would seem that a fireman is getting paid to be on-call, not per fire or emergency. Same with an EMT. They don't get paid per-incident...I guess wear and tear on vehicles could also be factored into the cost. But seriously, it doesn't seem like it costs a county or state a whole lot to do something like this...or am I missing something?

  12. #12
    Future's in the past....
    Join Date
    03.03.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    13,090
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

    At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    The cost isn't really my concern, though it is a small aspect of why I feel this way. I'm still very curious...what are the costs involved in a rescue operation, other than fuel and consumables like bandaids and syringes. It would seem that a fireman is getting paid to be on-call, not per fire or emergency. Same with an EMT. They don't get paid per-incident...I guess wear and tear on vehicles could also be factored into the cost. But seriously, it doesn't seem like it costs a county or state a whole lot to do something like this...or am I missing something?

    I would think the same, but this past Friday night made me rethink this somewhat when the idiot at the end of the street was cleaning some parts in gasoline and set his whole damn barn on fire. They had to call in the helicopter with the bambi bucket to douse the area really well, as this is a very wooded area and with the recent freezes we have had the whole area is like a tenderbox. That heli normally only flies when there is either a fire and also doubles as the county's trama copter. I don't know the cost per hour of running it, but had that idiot not used gas to clean parts, it would have been able to stay on the ground.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I would think the same, but this past Friday night made me rethink this somewhat when the idiot at the end of the street was cleaning some parts in gasoline and set his whole damn barn on fire. They had to call in the helicopter with the bambi bucket to douse the area really well, as this is a very wooded area and with the recent freezes we have had the whole area is like a tenderbox. That heli normally only flies when there is either a fire and also doubles as the county's trama copter. I don't know the cost per hour of running it, but had that idiot not used gas to clean parts, it would have been able to stay on the ground.
    perfect example of a billable expenditure that should arrive on that guy's doorstep. Helicopter fuel and wear and tear. How much would it cost to charter a helicopter for an afternoon? Probably several hundreds of dollars.

  14. #14
    Gird your loins Daisy Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.17.08
    Age
    57
    Location
    Goose Poop, Ohio
    Posts
    13,063
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Likes
    1,811
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    The cost isn't really my concern, though it is a small aspect of why I feel this way. I'm still very curious...what are the costs involved in a rescue operation, other than fuel and consumables like bandaids and syringes. It would seem that a fireman is getting paid to be on-call, not per fire or emergency. Same with an EMT. They don't get paid per-incident...I guess wear and tear on vehicles could also be factored into the cost. But seriously, it doesn't seem like it costs a county or state a whole lot to do something like this...or am I missing something?
    The cost to this county was estimated at 20K alone...not to mention the cost of the c-130 that came up from South Carolina and the Coast Gurad helicopters from Detroit and Cleveland. and Lucas county's costs


    The other thing that you have to keep in mind is that we are a rural area and most of our fire departments and even EMTs are volunteer....aside from our tax payments, it takes a lot of chicken BBQ's and feather parties to keep the budget balanced

    One day not long ago, while sitting in a parking lot waiting for someone, the fire siren blew....pick up trucks and cars came flying around every corner and a man in a suit came running out of the bank across the street and into the the station

    I sat there and watched them quickly don gear, jump on the trucks and take off....no real idea what they were getting into, but they were willing to serve their community by doing what was needed to save someone's life or property

    you can't put a price tag on that..putting their lives on the line for a hobby?

    there is a book about VFD's by Michael Perry called "Population 485..Meeting Your Neighbors One Siren at a Time" that pretty much sums up what it is like to be a small town fireman that is a very good read.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    The cost to this county was estimated at 20K alone...not to mention the cost of the c-130 that came up from South Carolina and the Coast Gurad helicopters from Detroit and Cleveland. and Lucas county's costs


    The other thing that you have to keep in mind is that we are a rural area and most of our fire departments and even EMTs are volunteer....aside from our tax payments, it takes a lot of chicken BBQ's and feather parties to keep the budget balanced

    One day not long ago, while sitting in a parking lot waiting for someone, the fire siren blew....pick up trucks and cars came flying around every corner and a man in a suit came running out of the bank across the street and into the the station

    I sat there and watched them quickly don gear, jump on the trucks and take off....no real idea what they were getting into, but they were willing to serve their community by doing what was needed to save someone's life or property

    you can't put a price tag on that..putting their lives on the line for a hobby?

    there is a book about VFD's by Michael Perry called "Population 485..Meeting Your Neighbors One Siren at a Time" that pretty much sums up what it is like to be a small town fireman that is a very good read.

    You're spot on in as much as the selflessness is priceless.

    Where do they come up with the 20K price? What are the line items on that bill? I'm genuinely curious as to how they come up with it.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Simply The Worst Fishing Show In The History Of TV...
    By chefcraig in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09.13.07, 09:59 AM
  2. Dumbasses Search For Bigfoot With Hillarious Results
    By Axxman300 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06.17.06, 04:35 PM
  3. I'm off to Alaska Fishing for 2 months!
    By Kevy5150 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06.20.05, 05:45 AM
  4. miners rescued!
    By JMJ in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07.29.02, 12:43 PM
  5. Idiots vs. Dumbasses
    By MikeL in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11.02.01, 06:12 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •