Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Default Lawsuit: Florida Clinic Botched Abortion, Threw Out Live Baby

Lawsuit: Florida Clinic Botched Abortion, Threw Out Live Baby

Thursday , February 05, 2009

AP

TAMPA, Florida
    Eighteen and pregnant, Sycloria Williams went to an abortion clinic outside Miami and paid $1,200 for Dr. Pierre Jean-Jacque Renelique to terminate her 23-week pregnancy.

Three days later, she sat in a reclining chair, medicated to dilate her cervix and otherwise get her ready for the procedure.

Only Renelique didn't arrive in time. According to Williams and the Florida Department of Health, she went into labor and delivered a live baby girl.

What Williams and the Health Department say happened next has shocked people on both sides of the abortion debate: One of the clinic's owners, who has no medical license, cut the infant's umbilical cord. Williams says the woman placed the baby in a plastic biohazard bag and threw it out.

Police recovered the decomposing remains in a cardboard box a week later after getting anonymous tips.

"I don't care what your politics are, what your morals are, this should not be happening in our community," said Tom Pennekamp, a Miami attorney representing Williams in her lawsuit against Renelique and the clinic owners.

The state Board of Medicine is to hear Renelique's case in Tampa on Friday and determine whether to strip his license. The state attorney's homicide division is investigating, though no charges have been filed. Terry Chavez, a spokeswoman with the Miami-Dade County State Attorney's Office, said this week that prosecutors were nearing a decision.

Renelique's attorney, Joseph Harrison, called the allegations at best "misguided and incomplete" in an e-mail to The Associated Press. He didn't provide details.

The case has riled the anti-abortion community, which contends the clinic's actions constitute murder.

"The baby was just treated as a piece of garbage," said Tom Brejcha, president of The Thomas More Society, a law firm that is also representing Williams. "People all over the country are just aghast."

Even those who support abortion rights are concerned about the allegations.

"It really disturbed me," said Joanne Sterner, president of the Broward County chapter of the National Organization for Women, after reviewing the administrative complaint against Renelique. "I know that there are clinics out there like this. And I hope that we can keep (women) from going to these types of clinics."

According to state records, Renelique received his medical training at the State University of Haiti. In 1991, he completed a four-year residency in obstetrics and gynecology at Interfaith Medical Center in New York.

New York records show that Renelique has made at least five medical malpractice payments in the past decade, the circumstances of which were not detailed in the filings.

Several attempts to reach Renelique were unsuccessful. Some of his office numbers were disconnected, no home number could be found and he did not return messages left with his attorney.

Williams struggled with the decision to have an abortion, Pennekamp said. She declined an interview request made through him.

She concluded she didn't have the resources or maturity to raise a child, he said, and went to the Miramar Women's Center on July 17, 2006. Sonograms indicated she was 23 weeks pregnant, according to the Department of Health. She met Renelique at a second clinic two days later.

Renelique gave Williams laminaria, a drug that dilates the cervix, and prescribed three other medications, according to the administrative complaint filed by the Health Department. She was told to go to yet another clinic, A Gyn Diagnostic Center in Hialeah, where the procedure would be performed the next day, on July 20, 2006.

Williams arrived in the morning and was given more medication.

The Department of Health account continues as follows: Just before noon she began to feel ill. The clinic contacted Renelique. Two hours later, he still hadn't shown up. Williams went into labor and delivered the baby.

"She came face to face with a human being," Pennekamp said. "And that changed everything."

The complaint says one of the clinic owners, Belkis Gonzalez came in and cut the umbilical cord with scissors, then placed the baby in a plastic bag, and the bag in a trash can.

Williams' lawsuit offers a cruder account: She says Gonzalez knocked the baby off the recliner chair where she had given birth, onto the floor. The baby's umbilical cord was not clamped, allowing her to bleed out. Gonzalez scooped the baby, placenta and afterbirth into a red plastic biohazard bag and threw it out.

No working telephone number could be found for Gonzalez, and an attorney who has represented the clinic in the past did not return a message.

At 23 weeks, an otherwise healthy fetus would have a slim but legitimate chance of survival. Quadruplets born at 23 weeks last year at The Nebraska Medical Center survived.

An autopsy determined Williams' baby she named her Shanice had filled her lungs with air, meaning she had been born alive, according to the Department of Health. The cause of death was listed as extreme prematurity.

The Department of Health believes Renelique committed malpractice by failing to ensure that licensed personnel would be present when Williams was there, among other missteps.

The department wants the Board of Medicine, a separate agency, to permanently revoke Renelique's license, among other penalties. His license is currently restricted, permitting him to only perform abortions when another licensed physician is present and can review his medical records.

Should prosecutors file murder charges, they'd have to prove the baby was born alive, said Robert Batey, a professor of criminal law at Stetson University College of Law in Gulfport. The defense might contend that the child would have died anyway, but most courts would not allow that argument, he said.

"Hastening the death of an individual who is terminally ill is still considered causing the death of that individual," Batey said. "And I think a court would rule similarly in this type of case."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

That is absolutely revolting. So let me get this straight....it's okay to turn the baby into scrambled eggs while inside the womb, but once outside it's murder. Yeah....that makes complete logical sense.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

that is sickening

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm really surprised I haven't seen anything on TV or heard anything on radio about this. I'm sure once the story really catches, it's going to turn into a firestorm.

BTW, I thought it used to stop somewhere around 12 or 15 weeks?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I'm really surprised I haven't seen anything on TV or heard anything on radio about this. I'm sure once the story really catches, it's going to turn into a firestorm.

BTW, I thought it used to stop somewhere around 12 or 15 weeks?
    It's on the frontpage of the foxnews website. I'm not sure if there really is a "cutoff" established.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

that's pretty gross...

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I'm not sure if there really is a "cutoff" established.
    I remember that, about 20+ years ago, I knew a few friends who had girlfriends who had abortions. All of those had a magic "number" of around 15 weeks as I recall, as they could not have an abortion after that.

I guess that I need to take a look at how things are being done today. 23 weeks? We're talking about a pregnancy that was what, more than halfway through?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I remember that, about 20+ years ago, I knew a few friends who had girlfriends who had abortions. All of those had a magic "number" of around 15 weeks as I recall, as they could not have an abortion after that.

I guess that I need to take a look at how things are being done today. 23 weeks? We're talking about a pregnancy that was what, more than halfway through?
    See that's just the thing, everyone is focusing on the incredibly foul actions of the clinic and yeah, they should be stripped of their lisence etc...but I'm thinking "what in the hell was this woman thinking!?!?!" You want an abortion? Great, go get one....as soon as you know you're pregnant. Other than some sort of dire medical issue, I really don't see any reason why an abortion should take place beyond 8-10 weeks or so.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:48 PM
    Liked 585 Times in 358 Posts

Donor

I really wouldn't be opposed to God just flash-flaming the entire western hemisphere. We're the modern Sodom.

A murder charge isn't even debatable.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    I really wouldn't be opposed to God just flash-flaming the entire western hemisphere. We're the modern Sodom.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post

A murder charge isn't even debatable.
    you know...some would say that's what the 9/11 attacks were...retribution for our lifestyle

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    It's really not that funny....
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    It's really not that funny....
    u think Scotty didn't mean that as a joke? The Lakers are really good this season he wouldn't God to hurt Kobe.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    See that's just the thing, everyone is focusing on the incredibly foul actions of the clinic and yeah, they should be stripped of their lisence etc...but I'm thinking "what in the hell was this woman thinking!?!?!" You want an abortion? Great, go get one....as soon as you know you're pregnant. Other than some sort of dire medical issue, I really don't see any reason why an abortion should take place beyond 8-10 weeks or so.
    I'm pro choice but I believe it should be limited to the first trimester unless a woman's life is in danger. Absolutely no reason to wait.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    I'm pro choice but I believe it should be limited to the first trimester unless a woman's life is in danger. Absolutely no reason to wait.
    There is absolutely no reason to wait. What the hell are they thinking about? What's to consider?

The more I think about this situation, and I was talking to the wife about it during lunch, even if the lady was one of those very few women who don't realize their pregnant until 6 months in or even until they give birth, at 23 weeks, i think you just have to finish riding it out. You don't want a baby...fine...give it up for adoption. New borns are the easiest kids in the world to move. She could have found a couple that couldn't have kids of their own to help her with bills and she could have finished off the pregnancy and everything would have been fine. At 6 months, I'm sorry, the "it's my body, my choice" argument just doesn't ring true anymore. It's not just your body anymore...it's your's and you have another one inside of you that needs to be taken care of. Bsbl4 brought a great point when he pointed out the lunacy of aborting at this point as opposed to pulling it out and it being called murder. It's a screwed up situation that I belive, not just the clinic need to be held responsible.