Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Default New York Dolls/Johnny Thunders Thread

I had heard about them before and after reading The Dirt and The Heroin Diaries I decided that I had to give them a listen. At first I wasn't too into them but I forced myself to listen more and grew to really like them. They aren't great musicians or players by any means, but they're gritty, dirty, and simple New York rock and roll. I really love their first album, namely "Bad Girl," and "Jet Boy."

I don't think Too Much Too Soon is all that great. I skip over a lot of it but it does include one of my favorite songs of all time in "Human Being."

So earlier this spring I was reading Slash's book and came across Johnny Thunders again so I decided to look up his solo career. And damn, it's still simple, dirty punk rock, but it kicks ass! I love the guitar tone of L.A.M.F. and "Can't Keep My Eyes On You" is one of the coolest songs I've ever heard.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The J Man, my friend is the uncontested #1 NY Dolls fan (ask anyone in the Dolls circle, seriously). She's been following them since I dragged her to a New York Dolls concert at New York's Academy of Music on February 15, 1974. You may be interested to learn that what's left of the Dolls (David Johansen and Sylvain Sylvain) are currently in Hawaii recording an album with Todd Rundgren, who also produced the band's debut album.

But do yourself a favor, if you really want to experience the Dolls get your hands on one of the many live bootlegs. Neither album did them justice.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The New York Dolls are awesome! Damn shame about Johnny Thunders.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

New York Doll, a documentary about the life of bassist Arthur Kane, was released in 2005. It includes footage from the reunion show put together by Morrissey with the surviving Dolls (David Johansen and Sylvain Sylvain) in London as part of his Meltdown Festival. Here is the website supporting the film:
    http://www.newyorkdollmovie.com/

Also worth checking out is The New York Dolls: Too Much Too Soon by Nina Antonia, which tells the band's story in unflinching detail.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

06.30.16 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when thunders was alive, he played a solo show up here in toronto.......i was playing in a pretty popular punk band at the time and was allowed to go in and watch the sound check before the show.........thunders wa being backed up by a local band called teenage head.........after the sound check thunders was talking to a toronto record exec , that i also knew ......she introduced me and i said i was a big fan..hey johnny ,i said, ya think i could have a guitar pick.........he looked at me and said "FUCK OFF"..i thought it was rude but hilarious..........he was such a mess...he put on a very mediocre show as he was very high on smack im sure..........but it was cool to see the legend in person.........when NXNE was on a couple years ago the dolls played here to a packed house and were really great.the guitar player now in the band is a ringer for johnny in both playing styles and looks.............love the dolls...........been listening to them since 75.............

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

I like but am not a major fan of The NY Dolls, but I really like a lot of Johnny Thunders solo stuff. Anyone looking for a good overview of his solo career, track down "Jet Boy The Anthology."

Fun fact: Johnny Thunders, Joey Ramone and Stiv Bator (ex-singer for The Dead Boys and Lords of the New Church) tried to put together a band in Paris in early 1990 after Stiv left The Lords. They wanted to call the band "The Whores of Babylon."

The problem was, all three were neck-deep in their various addictions especially Johnny, that the whole thing fell apart before they recorded a single note. Johnny stole a watch or money from Joey while he was out with Stiv, Joey retaliated by destroying Johnny's favorite (and only if I recall) guitar and it led to a confrontation between the two and Johnny leaving to return to the USA.

T.B.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    New York Doll, a documentary about the life of bassist Arthur Kane, was released in 2005. It includes footage from the reunion show put together by Morrissey with the surviving Dolls (David Johansen and Sylvain Sylvain) in London as part of his Meltdown Festival. Here is the website supporting the film:
    http://www.newyorkdollmovie.com/

Also worth checking out is The New York Dolls: Too Much Too Soon by Nina Antonia, which tells the band's story in unflinching detail.

My friend is interviewed in that movie. I really didn't like it much. Arthur was really such a non-part of the Dolls for me. 99% of the time he was too drugged up to go on stage and his roadie, Peter Jordan, had to perform for him. Yet to hear him tell it, he was an integral part of the band till its demise. Yes, Arthur was the one who formed the nucleus of what was to be the Dolls (with original drummer Billy Murcia and Sylvain) but that's really all I can give him credit for. On the other hand, my friend absolutely loves the movie, but that's really because her favorite, David Johansen, ridicules Arthur at points.

While the Nina Antonia books (there's two) are interesting reading, Nina Antonia is a Johnny lover who really dislikes David Johansen (as did Johnny after he left the Dolls) so the book is very biased. She can be credited with rounding out the theory that Johnny was murdered, a fact that many have believed since his death.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I am looking forward to that new release produced by Rundgren. I thought "One Day It Will Please Us..." was pretty good considering it's just David and Sylvian, and with Todd at the helm, the follow up should be better. I'm not too keen on them still calling themselves the Dolls though. I will make it a point to see them this time; I missed out last year and was pretty pissed off.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am not looking forward to the new release. Rundgren took all the wind out of their sails the first time around. "One Day" was awful, I felt. I went to see the New Dolls when my friend came to visit me in LA. I couldn't watch. I missed Johnny's presence too much. Though I didn't have that problem in 1976 when Johnny left to form the Heartbreakers and the Dollettes carried on. It must have been their playing with people who are young enough to be their sons. My friend has no problem with that, as long as David's in the band. I guess it's really because I had such a history with the original members.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

New track streaming:

http://www.myspace.com/newyorkdolls

I like it for what it is.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:54 PM
    Liked 11,767 Times in 6,519 Posts

Premium Member

NEW YORK DOLLS' Classic '70 LPs Back On Limited-Edition Colored Vinyl

April 11, 2017

It's been more than four decades since the NEW YORK DOLLS first outraged mainstream critics and struck terror into the hearts of public guardians of taste and morality. In that time, the once-controversial quintet has been recognized as a seminal musical force and a key influence on the punk movement that came into being shortly after the DOLLS' breakup. Now, UMe celebrates the NEW YORK DOLLS' legacy with new limited-edition colored-vinyl editions of the band's two classic '70s LPs, "New York Dolls" and "Too Much Too Soon", out on May 5.

The new vinyl releases, available in strictly limited editions of 500 each and exclusively available through uDiscover, are as flamboyant visually as the albums' musical contents. The self-titled disc boasts a unique opaque pink and black color scheme, while "Too Much Too Soon" has an equally audacious combination of opaque pink and clear. Both albums, which also feature their complete original cover art, are also available from UMe in standard black vinyl editions.

With a classic lineup featuring frontman David Johansen, guitarists Johnny Thunders and Syl Sylvain, bassist Arthur Kane and drummer Jerry Nolan, the NEW YORK DOLLS served as a bridge between the edgy outrage of the VELVET UNDERGROUND and THE STOOGES and the raw aggression of the multiple generations of punk and hard-rock bands that would soon follow.

In their original release, "New York Dolls" and "Too Much Too Soon" polarized audiences, embraced by a devoted core of kindred spirits and reviled by many mainstream listeners. "New York Dolls", produced in raw, hands-off style by Todd Rundgren, captures the band's love for raw, raucous rock 'n' roll and Brill Building teen-pop, with such landmark DOLLS anthems as "Personality Crisis", "Trash", "Jet Boy" and "Looking for A Kiss". It's now regarded as one of rock's greatest debut albums.

"Too Much Too Soon", recorded with reclusive legendary producer Shadow Morton, was titled in acknowledgement of the band members' various personal indulgences. The album features a mix of such band originals as "Babylon", "Who Are the Mystery Girls?", "It's Too Late" and "Human Being", along with personalized covers of such tunes as the CADETS' "Stranded in the Jungle", ARCHIE BELL AND THE DRELLS' "There's Gonna Be a Showdown' and Sonny Boy Williamson's "Don't Start Me Talkin'".

Although the NEW YORK DOLLS dissolved soon after "Too Much Too Soon", the band's ongoing influence, along with the patronage of DOLLS superfan Morrissey, led Johansen and Sylvain to assemble a new version of the band in 2004, leading to a series of tours and three albums of new DOLLS material.

Despite that latter-day revival, "New York Dolls" and "Too Much Too Soon" remain the foundation of the NEW YORK DOLLS' rock 'n' roll legacy. Now they can once again be heard the way they were meant to be heard — on vinyl!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/new...8hBs7ZmFTDP.99
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,146 Times in 8,966 Posts

The woman on the right is kind of hot.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Limited editions of 500....that is limited.

Good band. I've got the first record in the collection.