Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default What Does One Do If A Sex Offender Moves In Next Door?

My 85-year-old mother owns a semi-attached house within a senior city community (one must be 55 to live there). When she moved in, there was a widowed woman living in the attached house next door. Over the course of four years she got sick, was hospitalized and eventually died. Over the years her daughter mainitained the house and was given power of attorney over decisions.
    When the mother died, she decided to keep the house, use it as a second home.

The other day, the daughter knocked on my mother's door. My 8-year-old niece happened to be visitiing and was sent to play in the guest room because the daughter wanted to talk to my mother in private. The daughter dropped a bombshell. Her brother, who had just been released from jail had been living in the house since December. The daughter wanted my mother to know, before she was formally notified, that he was a convicted sex offender.

I found out that the Sheriff's Dept. handles notifications in this state. But they only pass around notifications if the person is a mid-to-high risk offender. They have a website, but it is only updated once a year.

So now what? My niece is very attached to my mother. Do we only allow her to play at my brother's house? What about my mother and the other "widow ladies" on the block? There's also 2 day care centers within a five block radius.

I feel so frustrated and helpless. I can't find any information on this guy.

Thanks for reading this long post.
    Last edited by Yesterdays; 02.05.09 at 05:01 PM.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I guess my first response would be to see if your mother to see if she can't pick up some more info from the daughter as to what the actual nature of the charge was.

I know my cousin has a registered sex offender about three houses down from him, and it turned out he took a 16 year old year old girl home from a bar and had sex with her thinking she was of legal age (she supposedly was not charged for the fake ID and underage drinking), her parents found out and pressed charges, leaving him with the offender tag for the rest of his life. He was fairly forthcoming with the info to my cousin, as I guess he didn't want it assumed that he was some sort of guy out after 10 year old girls/boys.

Just my two pennies.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

# Are sex offenders prohibited from living near schools/daycare centers?

There is no law restricting where an offender may live, however, if an offender is on probation/parole, the respective probation department may impose restrictions on living arrangements.

That was from Arizona's sex offender info site.

That really sucks. Especially since you do not know the nature of the arrest. You may be able to find out more info through the sheriffs office about it but unfortunately until he breaks the law again there is nothing you can do. You could try to frame him of course! Just kidding, no I'm not.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

search on the department of corrections site, they may still have his info listed. local clerk of courts site maybe? we can do criminal and civil case searches here in Ohio...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:02 AM
    Liked 2,232 Times in 1,350 Posts

As a landlord, I know alot about this.

Go to the Dru Sjodin national sex offenders search site

www.nsopw.gov

you can search by name, or by zip code, and you will find the offenders near you.

the site provides a picture of the offender, the status of the offender, the crime committed and info about the victim (youth, child, adult, male female)

your state attorney general should have info about where the state allows offenders to live and you can check to see if the area your mother lives in would be a prohibited area, such as close to a school or park

otherwise there is not much else you can do as these people do need a place to live..I don't rent to them, but I would see where the family would

If the offender had a violent history or a history of child molestation, I would not allow a child anywhere near there...

when you go to sell the house, the realtors will most likely have to disclose the presence of the offender nearby so you may be limited when it comes time to sell.

at least the owner of the house had the decency to inform you in person

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.15.11 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    My 85-year-old mother owns a semi-attached house within a senior city community (one must be 55 to live there). When she moved in, there was a widowed woman living in the attached house next door. Over the course of four years she got sick, was hospitalized and eventually died. Over the years her daughter mainitained the house and was given power of attorney over decisions.
    When the mother died, she decided to keep the house, use it as a second home.

The other day, the daughter knocked on my mother's door. My 8-year-old niece happened to be visitiing and was sent to play in the guest room because the daughter wanted to talk to my mother in private. The daughter dropped a bombshell. Her brother, who had just been released from jail had been living in the house since December. The daughter wanted my mother to know, before she was formally notified, that he was a convicted sex offender.

I found out that the Sheriff's Dept. handles notifications in this state. But they only pass around notifications if the person is a mid-to-high risk offender. They have a website, but it is only updated once a year.

So now what? My niece is very attached to my mother. Do we only allow her to play at my brother's house? What about my mother and the other "widow ladies" on the block? There's also 2 day care centers within a five block radius.

I feel so frustrated and helpless. I can't find any information on this guy.

Thanks for reading this long post.
    Yesterdays, When I lived in Tempe we had a sex offender move in two doors down from us. The Tempe Police dept. sent officers out to notify everyone in our neighborhood (this was back in 2001). At that time you could go on the Tempe PD site and view the offender and what their offense was. I just tried to find that site and was sent here:

http://az.gov/webapp/offender/searchAddress.do

Type in your mom's address and it should pull this guy's name up. You can then click on his name and find out info. on him. Like others have said there is really nothing you can do about him living there but at least you can know what you're dealing with.
    Last edited by Karma Wheel; 02.05.09 at 07:08 PM. Reason: addl. info.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

it's a challenge. Having a 5 year old son, I certainly wouldn't want to be living anywhere near some child molester type sex offender, but by the same token, I understand you can't turn it into a witch hunt. It really is a tough one.

Now the question is, does your niece live with her grandmother, or just visit. I think if you have the proper supervision, it could be okay, but also, as VH Rules said, see if you can get more info as to the nature of the offense.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Many thanks for the responses!

Daisy, Karma Wheel - I tried both those websites and the address doesn't come up on either one. Guess that means one of two things:

1 - He's a low-risk offender
    2 - The websites haven't been updated.

My mother hasn't received any notification from the sheriff's dept. as yet, either.

It's really the not knowing the offense that's got me riled. I've been putting off making phone calls but I suppose it's time.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:02 AM
    Liked 2,232 Times in 1,350 Posts

depends on how freshly he is out of prison.... they usually have to register their new address within 10 days....if he does not, then call the sherriff because it is a serious offense NOT to register and he can be tossed back in the pokey for that alone

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:43 AM
    Liked 1,328 Times in 798 Posts

If a sex-offender moves in next door, you could move, and maybe get next to a tax-dodger, or a wife-beater, an unborn child killer, or an alcoholic vehicular man-won=man-child slaughterer....

Anything... but a sex offender!!!

The you could sleep like a baby..

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yep, the fact that the registers exist and the police announce their arrival into a neighbourhood creates a lot of the fear and uncertainty. If we did that with everyone who had a record, things would be really really strange. Can you imagine? "Hi, we'd like to inform you that the man living next door to you was convicted of involuntary vehicular manslaughter a year ago." We'd also like to let you know that the woman living two doors down is addicted to xanax and margaritas" "Three doors down, the kid cuts himself, plays with fire and last year lit a cat on fire."

No one wants to live next to a deadbeat and no one wants to live next to a sex offender or any other kind of offender for that matter. Keep an eye on the situation, I wouldn't make any immediate changes, except to increase the vigilance a bit. Go talk to the guy. Like has been said, he may have just knocked boots with jailbait, he may have been framed by his exwife...god knows but without more information, it's difficult to make a decision.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I guess my first response would be to see if your mother to see if she can't pick up some more info from the daughter as to what the actual nature of the charge was.

I know my cousin has a registered sex offender about three houses down from him, and it turned out he took a 16 year old year old girl home from a bar and had sex with her thinking she was of legal age (she supposedly was not charged for the fake ID and underage drinking), her parents found out and pressed charges, leaving him with the offender tag for the rest of his life. He was fairly forthcoming with the info to my cousin, as I guess he didn't want it assumed that he was some sort of guy out after 10 year old girls/boys.

Just my two pennies.
    Well said. My parents have a similar situation a couple blocks away from them.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    Many thanks for the responses!

Daisy, Karma Wheel - I tried both those websites and the address doesn't come up on either one. Guess that means one of two things:

1 - He's a low-risk offender
    2 - The websites haven't been updated.

My mother hasn't received any notification from the sheriff's dept. as yet, either.

It's really the not knowing the offense that's got me riled. I've been putting off making phone calls but I suppose it's time.
    This just happened to my neighborhood in Scottsdale and we got a notice in the mail with what the offense was. It was slightly vague but it was ehough to let us know that I wouldn't want the guy around my kids. That being said, the notice did come form the MCSO, so my guess is it's a matter of time until you get yours.

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

The thing to do first is "don't panic".

You have to take the woman coming over and giving you a head's up as a positive sign.

Be proactive, but don't let panic cloud your judgement.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption
    Last Online

07.28.15 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's important to remember that not all offenders are repeat offenders . Really, it
    runs the gamut. some offenders are extremely embarresd and ashamed and would never consider re- offending . Others need to be locked up,castrated or both.
    " Eating over the behavioral sink."