Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Default "Can't Get This Stuff No More" - the out of print thread...

It was mentioned in another thread today, and it's something that I think about on a regular basis, but there are a lot of albums that are currently out of print, and in this age of digital media, that doesn't seem to make any sense. So I thought maybe we could have a thread to talk about them and maybe if someone hears of something coming available, they could post it here.

Peter Wolf has a couple (at least) of albums out of print, including his first one (and the one I really want to get) Lights Out, as well as its follow-up, Come As You Are. Just boggles my mind that they're not even available on iTunes or any of the other download services. Paul Carrack also put out an album I liked in between Mike + The Mechanics albums - One Good Reason. I'm sure I could probably find them in a used CD store, but I don't want someone else's castoffs!

I did note recently that two Jefferson Starship albums - Modern Times and Nuclear Furniture - that heretofore were only available as very expensive Japanese imports - are now on iTunes.

There also seem to be an alarmingly large number of '70s hits that are only available in rerecorded form. Don't know what the deal is with that.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.29.16 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wish I could simply find a copy of Mitch Ryder's cover of the Prince song "When you Were Mine". It's a simple little song from the Hot Dog movie soundtrack. Can't find it.
    A liar sucks way more than any asshole. Trust me...I'd know. I'm an asshole and that's not a lie.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jws5150 View Post
    I wish I could simply find a copy of Mitch Ryder's cover of the Prince song "When you Were Mine". It's a simple little song from the Hot Dog movie soundtrack. Can't find it.
    As far as I can tell, Never Kick A Sleeping Dog, the album that the song is on, has never been on CD!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now are we looking for vinyl here or CD copies? In this day and age vinyl is easier to find, believe it or not. But you may have to settle for "somebody's castaways." On the bright side, most used record stores stringently inspect each LP before buying from the seller. Many have a money back guarantee.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was looking for inexpensive/non-import CD's of a bunch of the Prince side projects and was having no luck...and last week i found most of them on a certain torrent site. FLAC files too. Vanity 6, Apollonia 6, the Madhouse discs (Prince's "jazz" thing), Mazarati, a couple of the Jesse Johnson (ex-Time) discs, and even the much-maligned Carmen Electra CD, the one i bought new on tape but didn't have the stones to pick up and take to the counter when i saw it in the local used shop. i had a few of the others on tape too, so i didn't feel too bad about downloading them, and if the RIAA wants to come after me for downloading stuff that's out of print...well...they can go fuck themselves. make it available and i woulda bought it instead. all of 'em except that Carmen Electra.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jws5150 View Post
    Here is a version available at youtube. Using this ripping software, you can turn this into an mp3: http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/

Mitch Ryder - "When You Were Mine" (3:45)
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    i was looking for inexpensive/non-import CD's of a bunch of the Prince side projects and was having no luck...and last week i found most of them on a certain torrent site...
    twona, have you ever run across any recordings of the short lived "New Power Trio"? I've read elsewhere that the material simply smoked, yet is very hard to locate. I've had no luck finding it, myself.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't even think i've heard of the New Power Trio. i also DL'ed a shitload of Prince live and rarity stuff over the last couple weeks and haven't seen a mention of it, unless i know of it by another name/reference. was it Prince on guitar, Michael Bland on drums and someone on bass or am i in the wrong time frame?

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by twonabomber View Post
    i don't even think i've heard of the New Power Trio. i also DL'ed a shitload of Prince live and rarity stuff over the last couple weeks and haven't seen a mention of it, unless i know of it by another name/reference. was it Prince on guitar, Michael Bland on drums and someone on bass or am i in the wrong time frame?
    The one I'm referring to featured Michael B and Sonny T as the rhythm section. There was another version (w/different bass/drums) from London sometime last year, yet the material as well as the playing were inferior to the '93 version. I'm fairly sketchy on the details, as it's been over a decade since I've actually heard the damned thing.
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

good, i was partially right. i wanted to say Sonny but i wasn't sure. i'll do some digging.

i have the O2 arena aftershow bootleg (8-28-07) that was listed as a trio show.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

01.06.12 @ 01:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a CD by a band out of Detroit called the Rockets called "Live Rockets" that was released back in 1983. Cover to cover this was a great no frills rocker of a disc. I had tried to find it for a while until I discovered it was available on Amazon.com. The only problem with that is there was one copy available for the unbelieveably low price of $149.99...used. I'm not spending that much money for one CD.

There was another band called Rough Diamond that included former Uriah Heep singer David Byron. They only released one album, but I am unclear if it's available on disc. If so, it's probably an import.
    Always have been...always will be...a CLEVELAND SPORTS FAN!!!

...you got a problem with that?

FUCK THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS AND THEIR FANS!!!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

I'd love to get a copy of Billion Dollar Babies "Battle Axe". This was the first and only effort the ex-members of Alice Cooper released after Cooper moved on without them.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With the Devil
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 14 Posts

I don't know why some albums aren't released on I-Tunes. I've been trying to get a CD copies of:

Badlands: Badlands
    MSG (Robin McAuley and Michael Schenker): Perfect Timing
    Saraya: Saraya

I know they aren't the rarest gems on the planet but they all go for over 30 bucks apiece on ebay and are hard to find used.

I'd be happy to copy one of my OOP CDs (XYZ, Junkyard, House of Lords etc etc) to anyone if they'd want to trade.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm desperate for a copy of Lucia Moniz's album Magnolia.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Try finding the second and third Missing Persons CDs.

They were released in the early 90s on CD through a niche label but obviously in a limited quantity as they are so hard to find these days. "Color in Your Life" can be had for a reasonable price of $20 or so depending upon its condition but "Rhyme & Reason" used on Amazon is anywhere from $107.50 to $181.02 or for $299 you can get a new one still shrinkwrapped. Ridiculous for a CD from an 80s pop band. I simply dug out my old cassette of "Rhyme & Reason" from storage and purchased a new still-sealed cassette of "Color In You Life" through Amazon for $3.99 a year or so ago and carefully transferred them to the computer for use on my iPod. They don't sound as good as the CD master would, but sound better than I expected them too and those copies will do until someone decides to release them digitally.

Their debut (and best) album "Spring Session M" is on iTunes and Amazon as downloads, why can't the following two be also?