Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

02.09.09 @ 03:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default OLP MM1 Owners Need Help

A couple years ago I purchased a Tobacco Sunburst OLP MM1 with a Floyd Rose. This model actually came with a real flame maple top unlike most of them that had photo laminate quilt tops. So I thought to change the pickups to the Tone Zone(Bridge) and the Air Norton(neck). I did this because I read that is the pick ups that were used in EVH's Music Man.

Now here's where I need someones advice. The guitar sounds really thin and the pickups are very hot. I have two Wolfgang Standards and when I A/B them with the wolfgangs it's like night and day. Now I know it's hard to compare the $250 OLP to my wolfgang's, but I thought with putting in some quality pickups would help.

Is there anyone that could help me find a way to fatten the tone up a little? Cut the high end out. I thought about trying a new volume pot, but I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance.
    "Remember when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

www.fcband.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can try replacing the 500k volume pot with a 250k.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rsh View Post
    A couple years ago I purchased a Tobacco Sunburst OLP MM1 with a Floyd Rose. This model actually came with a real flame maple top unlike most of them that had photo laminate quilt tops. So I thought to change the pickups to the Tone Zone(Bridge) and the Air Norton(neck). I did this because I read that is the pick ups that were used in EVH's Music Man.

Now here's where I need someones advice. The guitar sounds really thin and the pickups are very hot. I have two Wolfgang Standards and when I A/B them with the wolfgangs it's like night and day. Now I know it's hard to compare the $250 OLP to my wolfgang's, but I thought with putting in some quality pickups would help.

Is there anyone that could help me find a way to fatten the tone up a little? Cut the high end out. I thought about trying a new volume pot, but I'm out of ideas.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi,
    let me start by saying that i own the previous version of the olp mm1 (the model w/ the strat style bridge) and the guitar smokes. the stock pickups sound great and the guitar has a nice weight to it.
    i played the mm1 with the floyd that olp makes just once and i could tell that the craftmanship and overall feel were not as good as the strat style bridge version. i think most people who have played both would likely agree that the strat style model is somewhat better.
    my only real suggestion would be to reinstall the stock pickups, that is...if you still have them. you might hear a difference...you might not. also, you could get an eq pedal and mess around with boosting the lows.
    if all else fails, just sell it and find yourself an olp mm1 with the strat bridge on ebay. i don't think you'll be disappointed.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by throb View Post
    Hi,
    let me start by saying that i own the previous version of the olp mm1 (the model w/ the strat style bridge) and the guitar smokes. the stock pickups sound great and the guitar has a nice weight to it.
    i played the mm1 with the floyd that olp makes just once and i could tell that the craftmanship and overall feel were not as good as the strat style bridge version. i think most people who have played both would likely agree that the strat style model is somewhat better.
    my only real suggestion would be to reinstall the stock pickups, that is...if you still have them. you might hear a difference...you might not. also, you could get an eq pedal and mess around with boosting the lows.
    if all else fails, just sell it and find yourself an olp mm1 with the strat bridge on ebay. i don't think you'll be disappointed.
    It could very well be a case of the Floyd sucking tone away. On the other hand, the Tone Zone was designed with Floyd guitars in mind, thus it has more lows in general.

You might want to verify that the pickups are sitting high enough and that your 3-way switch is wired correctly. If the pickups were wired out of phase, that could be the heart of your problem. Also, it wouldn't hurt to put in a better 500K pot.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    It could very well be a case of the Floyd sucking tone away. On the other hand, the Tone Zone was designed with Floyd guitars in mind, thus it has more lows in general.

You might want to verify that the pickups are sitting high enough and that your 3-way switch is wired correctly. If the pickups were wired out of phase, that could be the heart of your problem. Also, it wouldn't hurt to put in a better 500K pot.
    Thanks to all of you guys for your suggestions. I will give it a shot. I do know the pickups are hooked up correctly, but I didn't touch the switch when I installed them. I'll check it out. Will the 250k pot really make a difference in the tone? I'll try that as well. Thanks again for all the help.

www.fcband.com

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:47 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    You can try replacing the 500k volume pot with a 250k.
    I may be wrong, but I thought 250k pots were more designed for single coil pickups. I've got a Floyd Rose Strat that had the H/S/S pickup configuration. Loved the look and feel of the guitar, but the sound was very thin. The bridge humbucker didn't sound much different than a single coil. So I swapped out the pickups for 2 Seymour Duncan humbuckers (JB/SH-4) and put in a 500k volume knob & 3 way switch. It sounds 100x better and fatter now.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,340 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I bought a olp mm1 last week and am tempted to leave it be. Its the standard trem model and I really don' t think I will change anything it sounds good as hell to me.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post

+1

Gibson or CTS pots and a Switchcraft switch makes a HUGE difference!!!
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    I may be wrong, but I thought 250k pots were more designed for single coil pickups. I've got a Floyd Rose Strat that had the H/S/S pickup configuration. Loved the look and feel of the guitar, but the sound was very thin. The bridge humbucker didn't sound much different than a single coil. So I swapped out the pickups for 2 Seymour Duncan humbuckers (JB/SH-4) and put in a 500k volume knob & 3 way switch. It sounds 100x better and fatter now.
    General rule of thumb is 250k for single coils, 500k for humbuckers BUT ...
    If you find a humbucker that offers too much highs and/or gain, you can reduce the load or "tame" it somewhat by swapping the 500k for a 250k. It all depends on the pickup and personal preference. It's also an inexpensive way to "tweak" your tone without constantly swapping pickups and spending alot of money.

btw ... Gibson has been using 300k pots for years, and more recently, Charvel has used 250k pots in their Art Series production guitars.

In regards to this thread ....
    I went back and re-read the original post again, and now I see the complaint is that the humbuckers sound "thin", so my guess is that they're not wired properly.

The most common mistake is taking a 4-conductor pickup and twisting the two unused wires together and taping them off as opposed to SOLDERING them. If this is how you installed your pickups, remove them and solder those wires together!
    Last edited by Dino5150; 02.06.09 at 07:39 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.22.09 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rsh View Post

Thanks in advance.

If its both pups, maybe the wires got mixed up and they were both hardwired in parallel or maybe the pot got fried on install?
    Last edited by the breadman; 02.06.09 at 08:22 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    The most common mistake is taking a 4-conductor pickup and twisting the two unused wires together and taping them off as opposed to SOLDERING them. If this is how you installed your pickups, remove them and solder those wires together!
    Barring some problem with the pot, you are probably right on about this, Dino. Everything else could be wired "correctly," but if the unused wires are not soldered together it seems to me that would exactly be why they're not producing enough output.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by the breadman View Post
    If its both pups, maybe the wires got mixed up and they were both hardwired in parallel or maybe the pot got fried on install?
    I think your exactly right on with this situation. It is very possible I could of fried the pot. I'm not the best at soldering stuff. Thanks for your help. I'm gonna get a new pot and let a professional install it.

Thanks again.

www.fcband.com

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.06.09 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I A/Bd my Wolfgang with all of my other guitars. The one it sounded most like had a Duncan JB in the bridge. I have a ToneZone in one of my guitars and I find it a bit too hot. I always have to back down the volume control to achieve the tightness and chunck that my JB's put out. I do love the Tonezone for leads though. The JB is more the VH tone to my ears.