Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Default The Cramps - Lux Interior - R.I.P.

There's been rumors all day today that the great punk/goth/garage band The Cramps' frontman Lux Interior passed away. Now it looks like it's more than a rumor:

http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlin...-interior-rip/

The Cramps were up in my all-time top 10 favorite bands. I saw them about half a dozen times dating back to the mid 80's with bands like Social Distortion opening. Last time I saw them was a few years ago on their last tour around Halloween with the also great Demolition Doll Rods supporting at the Hollywood House of Blues. Fucking kick ass show.

Lux was on of those frontmen cut from the same mold as guys like Iggy Pop. One of the most physically animated, psychotic singer's you'd ever see on a stage. Hard to believe he had a heart condition.

Pretty bummed today.

T.B.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

A bummer, indeed. A good friend of mine likes the Cramps like you do, T.B. I have three of their albums. They bring back some good memories.

I always loved their version of "Lonesome Town". Great song. I also once had a thing for Ivy.

I went to a Cramps show once (Social D opened) and it was a riot; I want to say it was in Long Beach, Torrance, Redondo Beach. The place as so full we could hardly move. The whole band jumped and throbbed like they were on crank and hooked up to elecrodes. It was a great show that I'll never forget.

R.I.P., Mr. Interior.
    Last edited by Metal Marc; 02.04.09 at 07:12 PM. Reason: I left out the word "buttocks"

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption
    Last Online

07.28.15 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ringo Starr's favourite group. I once saw a video of a mental hospital gig 'round '86 or so. Had a few records. "When I die don't cry at all, Just nail my bones right up on the wall: "Raw Bones"...
    " Eating over the behavioral sink."

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II or Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

03.02.10 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I saw the Cramps countless times in the '70s at venues like Max's Kansas City and CBGBs. I got what they were trying to do but it never really impressed me as a teenager. Lux, Ivy, and original drummer Miriam were all really sweet, wonderful people and I send condolences to Ivy at her loss.

Trivia note: When the Cramps auditioned at CBGB's in 1976, they were turned down, however, Peter Crowley the fantastic booker at Max's happened to be at CB's that day. He waited until the band left the building, ran after them, and offered them dates at Max's Kansas City on the spot.
    Mr. Horseradish courtesy of the International Horseradish Council and Brett.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 2,391 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterdays View Post
    I saw the Cramps countless times in the '70s at venues like Max's Kansas City and CBGBs. I got what they were trying to do but it never really impressed me as a teenager. Lux, Ivy, and original drummer Miriam were all really sweet, wonderful people and I send condolences to Ivy at her loss.

Trivia note: When the Cramps auditioned at CBGB's in 1976, they were turned down, however, Peter Crowley the fantastic booker at Max's happened to be at CB's that day. He waited until the band left the building, ran after them, and offered them dates at Max's Kansas City on the spot.
    You must be as old as me....RIP loved Maxs too
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting there. It's a few months away. What years did you go there?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by trrock View Post
    Ringo Starr's favourite group. I once saw a video of a mental hospital gig 'round '86 or so. Had a few records. "When I die don't cry at all, Just nail my bones right up on the wall: "Raw Bones"...
    really?

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 2,391 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Getting there. It's a few months away. What years did you go there?
    I used to go up to NYC clubbin from about 76-80 what a meat market and great music.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Heard of them but never listened to them. How do they compare to the New York Dolls or Johnny Thunders?

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Cathedral, Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The J Man View Post
    Heard of them but never listened to them. How do they compare to the New York Dolls or Johnny Thunders?
    Night and day. The Cramps were a pseudo stripped down rockabilly sound set to a horror movie look with Poison Ivy playing a mean surf guitar. Really, nothing like the Dolls. Though Lux did wear high heel pumps...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Night and day. The Cramps were a pseudo stripped down rockabilly sound set to a horror movie look with Poison Ivy playing a mean surf guitar. Really, nothing like the Dolls. Though Lux did wear high heel pumps...
    Hmmm...well I'm going to given them a listen anyway.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The J Man View Post
    Hmmm...well I'm going to given them a listen anyway.
    If you're going to pick up a cd, start with the compilation "Bad Music For Bad People" or "Off The Bone," which are both very similar collections of the best stuff from their first two studio albums, early singles and EP when they were on I.R.S. Records through about '82. Or you could just go for "Songs The Lord Taught Us" which was their debut album (and my personal favorite). After that, go for "Date With Elvis" and "Flamejob."

T.B.