Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Poor Wolfgangs Quilts...Fender or EVH?

Who's to blame Fender or EVH...that is what I want to know.? Who gets the blame for some of these nasty Quilt tops that I am seeing? I mean they are charging PRS prices...shouldnt they be PRS quality tops? I have sold quite a few over the last couple weeks and I have also refused a good number. Im really starting to suspect that the reason for the preorder is because of the low quality tops. These guitars have been being shipped with rubbing compound...light scratches in the clear...smudges...ect...all over them. Who is inspecting these and how could they be with all of the above? Piss poor if you ask me. Well thats not my biggest concern.. Im concerned with the quilt tops. I mean....didnt we just go through this with Peavey? Eddie says that Fender is doing it better...? WTF? What are they doing different? Better tops? Not what I have seen! Well I wrote Fender/EVH guitars and here is the response I received:

I basically wrote al letter complaining about the quilt quality. I asked where I could find the quilt tops like on the brochure. I mean if you show me something and I preorder it... I expect it to look like what you are showing me...?? Anyway, here was Fenders response:

(Me)
    It basically started out with me complaining about the tops not looking like the brochure. I asked them where are these tops like on the brochure.
    Here was my response from Fender:

(fender)
    Unfortunately, what you see is a picture taken under perfect conditions, and it would be nearly impossible to find one exactly like that. We don’t hand select instruments and send them to certain dealer, we make the instrument and ship them. My advice to you is to check with every dealer and see what they have, and hopefully you will find one that suits you.

(Me) Well Ed...not the answer I was looking for. Im gonna have to share some of these terrible tops online with the guys that are expecting what I expect to see out of a 3150 guitar. I know a lot of these guys have orders placed through Musicians friend and Guitar centers...ect. I wonder how many will cancel when they see what kind of junk you guys are trying to peddle out the door. Are you seriously telling me to contact every dealer....?

(Fender)
    Give me a call when you get a chance, so we can discuss our manufacturing process in detail.

(me) What kind of thought process went into this one? This is how most of them I have came across have looked. (attached the picture below)

(Please note that I have seen worse. At least this one had half a quilt!)

(fender)
    It meets our specs and QC, in our eyes its fine. BTW there is not a spec to how much quilt the top should or shouldn’t have. Some might have more, some might have less.

(me)
    Well I sure wish I could find one as nice as Ed's..lol.

(fender)
    At least you have the option of purchasing one. I’m a lefty and don’t even get the option. LOL.

Well, Im not laughing Ed!

Ed Treat

Fender Consumer Relations

Fender Musical Instruments Corp.

8860 East Chaparral Road, Suite 100

Scottsdale, AZ 85250-2610

Telephone: 480-596-9690 ex. 7274

Fax: 480-367-5262

E-mail: etreat@fender.com
    Last edited by Rat; 02.04.09 at 11:16 AM.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'd be seriously pissed if I dropped 3 grand on a guitar and got a half quilt like that.

Hopefully they'll switch to flame maple like Peavey did. What a disappointment.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning or VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Fire in the Hole
    Last Online

12.26.11 @ 12:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jedi...

I'm with you...I think Flame just looks cooler and is way more consistent.

that white one is looking ever more tempting...
    Eddie and Dave...the way it was meant to be

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It all depends on the guitar for me as to whether quilt or flame looks better.

But regardless the type of figuring, for a guitar that costs nearly twice it's predecessor, it'd better have a quality top on it. Seems like Fender's handling of Rat's complaints aren't up to par either.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Shit I know Ed at Fender.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

01.26.13 @ 09:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Rat;1096079]

ouch! im really glad we found each other.

On Fire
    Last Online

06.14.16 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    It all depends on the guitar for me as to whether quilt or flame looks better.

But regardless the type of figuring, for a guitar that costs nearly twice it's predecessor, it'd better have a quality top on it. Seems like Fender's handling of Rat's complaints aren't up to par either.

Well right now they can probably pass these crap tops through the mail order warehouses. They probably paid less for these and can still call them a quilt as stated by Ed. So I guess as long as it has a slight quilt it is not considered fraud?

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Wow. I'm not a player at all, but to me, that is some piss-poor quality control and customer service being displayed by Fender.

Question: if the quality of the quilts is this spotty/iffy for the product launch(presumably when they're trying to put their best foot forward), what is is going to be like in a year or two? Maybe I could understand if this was limited to the occasional guitar here and there(which would still be inexcusable for an instrument costing as much as this one), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Shame on Fender.

Last Online

01.06.12 @ 12:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow!

i would have opened the case, then closed it and...

Return To Sender

I feel very fortunate with the one i have, it does actually look like the model guitar.

holly crap!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard this complaint on other guitar forums as well.

Sad to say ... but I just don't care.
    EvH is not the same person I idolized as a kid and his "merchandise" ... well ... it's crap.

Sorry .... just my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

[QUOTE=ANTHONY5150;1096094]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post

ouch! im really glad we found each other.
    That's pretty bad. I'm wondering if it may be similar to what I experienced when the first 5150 amps came out. There was such a push to get these to dealers. I was relatively lucky with mine, but the first few months that I saw them in stores, the cabinets both head and speaker were horibbly constructed. On my head you can see areas under the vinyl that are obviously torn away from the corner to almost the center. The joint on the corner of the speaker cab is out by over an eighth. these flaws could easily have been sanded or filled to correct it cosmetically but they just slapped on the vinyl and out they went. Also at volume my cab had a huge rattle. I cracked it open and the rear cover brace was slightly to short, so when you got it crankin' the back would vibrate against it. Thank god for matchbooks! (It's still there)I ordered mine through a distributor friend and he did warn me that there might be some minor flaws, as he knew Peavey was overwhelmed with the initial response, but I did'nt really care too much because it's about the sound more than anything, but I could see someone who is picky being pretty pissed off by some of these issues. As time went on, the build quality did improve. I'd hope this is what is happening in this case, but I feel real sorry for people buying online, and not getting to examine them as they would in a store. Good on ya for calling attention to this. That "quilt" should never have seen the light of day.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 02.04.09 at 12:50 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

taylor experienced several of these same sort of issues upon release of several of their models...the new pick up system models and the nylon string models both immediately come to mind.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bottom line.
    Those bitches should be bookmatched at least.
    I fuckin knew it.
    Thanks Fender. Its cool.
    My sales will go up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

As someone who used to do quite a bit of woodworking, it should be very apparent to someone with just a little knowledge of the craft as to which pieces will make a nice "quilt" and which ones will not before construction is even started. That guitar looks like it should have been relegated to a "solid" color.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Well right now they can probably pass these crap tops through the mail order warehouses. They probably paid less for these and can still call them a quilt as stated by Ed. So I guess as long as it has a slight quilt it is not considered fraud?

Keep up the good word Rat , as I have a Burst on order from a small local guitar store that ordered 3 Wolfs (1 black/2 Bursts) and I have the pick of the two. But as far as the "as long as it has a slight quilt it is not considered fraud?" Where were you when Peavey released THERE quilt tops? (I mean that in a GOOD way!) Take a look at "rockinrollweekend" pics of there quilts. I guess if your calling that fraud, Peavey would be bankruped!!!
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry