Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Default 2009 NFL Off-Season

Here's a link of the 2009 NFL Free Agency Rankings.

My wish list:

Terrell Suggs or Albert Haynesworth
    Bo Scaife
    T.J. Houshmandzadeh

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=1...nid=83&yr=2009
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:32 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Baltimore is going to resign Suggs.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'd like to see at least one more good WR for the Dolphins...give them a few more play options.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Well, Minnesota needs a good QB, and after the top two who are Kurt Warner, Matt Cassell there's a pretty big drop as the next two are Kerry Collins and Jeff Garcia. There's no way Minnesota will get Warner or Cassell so it's down to Collins and Garcia. Of those two, even those Collins is rated higher, I'd have to go with Garcia. He's familiar the offense (Didn't I say that about Brad Johnson a few years back?)

Will Philly trade McNabb? Would the Vikings go after Brett Favre if the Jets release him? (The poison pill clause in the Jets/Packers deal goes away if the Jets release Favre)

I'd like to see Minnesota get another decent WR too. Our receivers don't exactly put the fear of God in anybody. Interestingly enough, I see Hank Baskett's name on the list as the #8 ranked WR.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Oh, my. This is absolutely hilarious!

Detroit affiliate questions NBC's hiring of Matt Millen on air

They don't like Matt Millen in Detroit.

The former Lions president, fired in September after an NFL-worst 31-84 run, appeared on NBC on Sunday as an analyst during the network's Super Bowl coverage.

The Detroit NBC affiliate ran a disclaimer crawl on the screen when Millen appeared on camera that suggests it did not approve of the network's decision to hire Millen:

"Matt Millen was president of the Lions for the worst eight-year run in the history of the NFL. Knowing his history with the team, is there a credibility issue as he now serves as an analyst for NBC Sports? ..."

NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol defended the decision to hire Millen last week.

"He's a hell of a broadcaster," Ebersol said. "That's how I look at it. I wasn't looking at him as a general manager."

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/...t-affilia.html

Brutally Honest Television Scroll (:38)
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Eruption
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a Rams fan, and in general an NFL fan, this offseason is going to be interesting as hell.

1. Favre?
    2. Warner?
    3. Where's Lewis gonna be?
    4. Brady's comback progress?
    5. Plax - any takers?
    6. TO still in Dallas? What about Garrett? (Of course, these are always in question)

That's just off the tip of my tongue.

The Rams need almost everything. Not sure about Bulger long-term (could be damaged goods after being behind that "line"). Word here is potentially signing free agent O-line and LBs. Then possibly going after Crabtree with the second pick. I don't know if that makes sense since the Rams need core (O-Line\ANY defensive players), but then again depending on cap room and available free agents, the Rams are quite soft in the WR area. Holt may not be back, Bennett sucks and you've got 2 guys that have less than a year under their belt.

We'll see. Not sure it can get much worse than where it's at now. Looks like they are taking care of the front office issues, which is where the overhaul needed to start.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

The Giants will be the best team in the NFC again next year with a healthy Osi coming back. Jerry Reese will do whatever it takes to improve the receiving corps.
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Regarding Matt Millen and Detroit: I'd suspect the president of Toyota is more popular in Motown than Millen. But based on what I've seen, the real frustration is directed at the Ford family. Sounds like "loyalty to a fault" in its purest form is their major shortcoming.

Speaking of dysfunctional ownership, the Raiders named Cable their head coach (gasp!). The only move I've seen thus far that gives me hope is Al Davis naming Paul Hackett their QB coach. I know he isn't the most love coach from USC but he may be a help in developing Russell.

Now for getting an OT or two along with a WR in the off-season. That would be nice.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:13 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Radio here is buzzing that Tony Gonzalez wants out of KC. And given that it's Pioli running that show, there's speculation on whether you could send them Cassell for TG and a 2 or a 3, something like that. Good be a rare trade that makes sense for both teams, since NE could use a solid receiver at TE, especially if Brady's mobility is hampered. Man, getting a Gonzalez and a second or third round pick would be very good - image Welder and Gonzalez on one side, and Moss on the other. Would be very difficult to defend, since you need the free safety to roll to Moss, leaving Welker or Gonzalez one on one with the other safety.

NE is going to have to decide what to do with Cassell, then in the draft they need more help on D. If they can get 2 picks on D that help them next year, they could be very tough. They need somebody who can go get the QB, be it from the DL or LB spot.

Ideally, I'd love to see a pass rusher, preferably a LB, a stud DB, and some depth at S, DL and LB. I don't know if they need anything on O at all.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Radio here is buzzing that Tony Gonzalez wants out of KC. And given that it's Pioli running that show, there's speculation on whether you could send them Cassell for TG and a 2 or a 3, something like that. Good be a rare trade that makes sense for both teams, since NE could use a solid receiver at TE, especially if Brady's mobility is hampered. Man, getting a Gonzalez and a second or third round pick would be very good - image Welder and Gonzalez on one side, and Moss on the other. Would be very difficult to defend, since you need the free safety to roll to Moss, leaving Welker or Gonzalez one on one with the other safety.

NE is going to have to decide what to do with Cassell, then in the draft they need more help on D. If they can get 2 picks on D that help them next year, they could be very tough. They need somebody who can go get the QB, be it from the DL or LB spot.

Ideally, I'd love to see a pass rusher, preferably a LB, a stud DB, and some depth at S, DL and LB. I don't know if they need anything on O at all.

I agree. New England should be solid next year with some tweaking on D. If we could pry Gonzalez out of KC plus a pick that would be awesome. I wait as long as possible to play the Cassel chip until you are almost 100% certain that Tom is ready to go next season.
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:13 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mario VH View Post
    I agree. New England should be solid next year with some tweaking on D. If we could pry Gonzalez out of KC plus a pick that would be awesome. I wait as long as possible to play the Cassel chip until you are almost 100% certain that Tom is ready to go next season.
    Personally, I think they should trade Cassel regardless, unless they think that kid that was a rookie last year is a bust. I would assume they have some confidence in him, as they picked him in the third round, and he got some time during the year. Give him a full training camp, plus the personnel they have, I think he'd be fine. Frankly, I think there are a lot of QB's that can win games with the Pats, especially since they'll have all training camp to mesh with the receivers.

One of the reasons I think the Pats missing the playoffs was a missed opportunity was that Cassell was learning on the job. He got better pretty much every game. He learned from losing to the Jets, he learned from losing to the Steelers. They'd have been a dangerous playoff team, for sure. Part of that was that Cassell was splitting reps in camp fighting for his job. Give ANY decent QB a full camp adjusting to Moss, Welker, Morris, Jordan, etc., they'll be fine.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Oh, my. This is absolutely hilarious!

Detroit affiliate questions NBC's hiring of Matt Millen on air

They don't like Matt Millen in Detroit.

The former Lions president, fired in September after an NFL-worst 31-84 run, appeared on NBC on Sunday as an analyst during the network's Super Bowl coverage.

The Detroit NBC affiliate ran a disclaimer crawl on the screen when Millen appeared on camera that suggests it did not approve of the network's decision to hire Millen:

"Matt Millen was president of the Lions for the worst eight-year run in the history of the NFL. Knowing his history with the team, is there a credibility issue as he now serves as an analyst for NBC Sports? ..."

NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol defended the decision to hire Millen last week.

"He's a hell of a broadcaster," Ebersol said. "That's how I look at it. I wasn't looking at him as a general manager."

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/...t-affilia.html

Brutally Honest Television Scroll (:38)
    Yeah.....OK....does that strike anyone else as classless on the affiliates part?......there's no need for that.....IMO.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    Yeah.....OK....does that strike anyone else as classless on the affiliates part?......there's no need for that.....IMO.
    Tasteless perhaps, yet classless? Nah. Millen's record speaks for itself, and I question NBC hiring the guy as any sort of expert. It all goes to credibility, and the decision appears wrong. Not Rush Limbaugh wrong, yet wrong nonetheless.

The people of Detroit watched this guy drive a franchise into the ground while driving a stake through the heart of every football fan in the city. Yet there his mug is on Super Bowl Sunday, smiling out from the tv screen at every football fan on the planet, including Lions fans. If anything, the station's decision to air the scroll may have elicited a well deserved laugh from some of them.

IMO.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Tasteless perhaps, yet classless? Nah. Millen's record speaks for itself, and I question NBC hiring the guy as any sort of expert. It all goes to credibility, and the decision appears wrong. Not Rush Limbaugh wrong, yet wrong nonetheless.

The people of Detroit watched this guy drive a franchise into the ground while driving a stake through the heart of every football fan in the city. Yet there his mug is on Super Bowl Sunday, smiling out from the tv screen at every football fan on the planet, including Lions fans. If anything, the station's decision to air the scroll may have elicited a well deserved laugh from some of them.

IMO.
    You're right chef, his record does speak for itself....11 years as a very good linebacker in the NFL....with 4 Super bowl rings and a pro bowl appearance....then a very successful 9 year broadcasting career as part of a major networks 2nd unit......I would say that despite his failings as a GM....he is more than qualified to offer insight into a professional football game....Steve Mariucci had a losing record as a head coach in Detroit, where is the srcoll underneath him when he broadcasts?......Bob Costas never played a down in the NFL, why not run a scroll questioning him? no....that station's intent was to embarass him on TV.....not to get a laugh form Lions fans.....

It just smacks of sour grapes......TMA.....(To Me, Anyway)

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrk5150 View Post
    Personally, I think they should trade Cassel regardless, unless they think that kid that was a rookie last year is a bust. I would assume they have some confidence in him, as they picked him in the third round, and he got some time during the year. Give him a full training camp, plus the personnel they have, I think he'd be fine. Frankly, I think there are a lot of QB's that can win games with the Pats, especially since they'll have all training camp to mesh with the receivers.

One of the reasons I think the Pats missing the playoffs was a missed opportunity was that Cassell was learning on the job. He got better pretty much every game. He learned from losing to the Jets, he learned from losing to the Steelers. They'd have been a dangerous playoff team, for sure. Part of that was that Cassell was splitting reps in camp fighting for his job. Give ANY decent QB a full camp adjusting to Moss, Welker, Morris, Jordan, etc., they'll be fine.

Sounds like something that could happen since Pioli is now in KC.
    If I'm KC, I'd have to think that if I am rebuilding that I need a solid QB first and then build the "O" line in front of him.

Is there any thinking back in NE that they could afford Ray Lewis?
    I am just thinking of what it would be like to have Lewis and Mayo as my linebackers.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.