Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Google Quickly Defuses Obama's 'Google Bomb'

Unlike Bush's 'Google Bomb,' Google Quickly Defuses Obama's
    Friday , January 30, 2009

It took four years for Google to address the "Google bomb" that was lobbed at former President Bush. But it took the Internet behemoth only a few days to defuse the same attack on President Obama.

Four years versus a few days ... Some Googlers are asking why.

In 2003, President Bush's detractors successfully gamed the Google search engine by arranging to have countless Web sites link the words "miserable failure" to Bush's official biography on the White House Web site.

The result was that when someone typed the search term "miserable failure" into the Google search box, Bush's bio rose to the top of the search results.

And that's how it stayed until 2007, when Google developed an algorithm to detect what became known as "Google bombs" and re-directed the term "miserable failure" to non-political pages.

Unfortunately for Obama, "miserable failure" reverted back to his bio when he moved into the White House. The new president was also Google-bombed with the phrase "cheerful achievement."

But this time, Google stepped in quickly, rectifying the situation in a few days, instead of four years.

The difference in time did not go unnoticed.

"You let this go on for the entire Bush administration," a reader named w3bgrrl wrote on a Google blog. "But since you bought the White House for Obama, you don't want your candidates harmed ... And your claims not withstanding, even liberals know you're liberal."

But another writer, Mikkel deMib Svendsen, gave Google the benefit of the doubt.

"I do think many of [Google employees] are liberals but I am also 100% confident that the large majority of them are also very professional people that take the job of creating a good and unbiased search engine very, very seriously," he wrote.

Google itself said the reason it took only a few days to redirect Obama's Google bomb was that, this time, it already had the algorithm in place.

"Though the spirit of change may be in the air in Washington, some things apparently stay the same," Google software engineer Matt Cutts wrote on a Google blog. "After we became aware of this latest Googlebomb, we re-ran our algorithm and it detected the Googlebomb for [cheerful achievement] as well as for [failure]. As a result, those search queries now return discussion about the Google bombs, rather than the original pages that were returned."

In another company blog, Google software engineers Ryan Moulton and Kendre Carattini wrote that the "pranks" aren't a very high priority for the company.

"But over time, we've seen more people assume that they are Google's opinion, or that Google has hand-coded the results for these Googlebombed queries," they wrote. "That's not true, and it seemed like it was worth trying to correct that misperception."

Danny Sullivan, editor-in-chief of Search Engine Land, says Google could have acted even faster in Obama's case, and that he was "disappointed" that the Internet giant did not act preemptively last week.

"They knew this was an issue before the inauguration, but it wasn't until after it happened that [Google] finally got to it and said, 'We better re-run our system,'" Sullivan told FOXNews.com.

"I know there are bigger issues to worry about," he said. "But then again, people turn to search engines to try and find information and this is the kind of thing you want them to be paying attention to as part of an overall communication strategy."

Sullivan likened Google bombing to a "neighborhood kid spray-painting on your wall," and he said he expects these kinds of digital antics to continue.

"It's probably going to be an inevitable fact of life for politicians moving forward to see themselves involved in these types of pranks," he said. "But you don't want to go around reacting too much, either."

Asked if he thought Google's reaction to the Bush and Obama Google bombs appeared to be biased, Sullivan replied, "I give them the benefit of the doubt. If you're an Obama friend at Google, waiting until after he's in office is not being a good friend."

According to an article by CNET News, the Obama "cheerful achievement" Google bomb was created by Montreal blogger Eric Baillargeon, who did not return requests for comment.

Obama spokesman Nicholas Shapiro declined to comment Thursday.

A Yahoo! search of "miserable failure," however, returns the official White House biographies of Obama and Bush, respectively. Company officials did not return a request for comment Friday.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Google bombs? Hello, the economy is crashing and unemployment might reach 10% in a few months! Don't these ppl have something better to do??!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Well seeing as they backed Obama in the campaign it is no surprise.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Google bombs? Hello, the economy is crashing and unemployment might reach 10% in a few months! Don't these ppl have something better to do??!
    +1.
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Well, since my brother has been out of work for over a year now and uses Google to look for work, as do others, and how can he rely on Google for accurate listings? If they're allowing people to rigg Google search engine against Bush then what else are they rigging it for?

Google's motto is "Do no harm", this just shows how full of shit they are.

Google is the new Microsoft. Avoid the Christmas rush and start hating them now.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They can spin it however they want but the facts are there for everyone to see. They could have fixed the Bush problem in the same amount of time. I swear, it is incredible the hate out there for Bush. Was he perfect, no but I believe he did what he felt was right in his heart the same as Obama will do what he feels is right.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Last Online

07.05.17 @ 10:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    Well seeing as they backed Obama in the campaign it is no surprise.
    Exactly.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    I swear, it is incredible the hate out there for Bush.
    He earned it. People don't just dislike him for shits and giggles.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    He earned it. People don't just dislike him for shits and giggles.

I don't understand being disrespectful to anyone, let alone someone who has followed a call to service for our country. The sad part is that this kind of thing happened before he even took office. The Clinton administration's staff removed the "W"s from the keyboards. At that point, he had done nothing except become President. It's childish and uncalled for in my humble opinion. I guess I come from a different era of showing people courtesy even if I disagree with them.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    The sad part is that this kind of thing happened before he even took office. The Clinton administration's staff removed the "W"s from the keyboards. At that point, he had done nothing except become President.
    ...and steal an election. I don't "hate" him but he had so many chances to come through for this country and he blew every one. As a president he was just an embarassment...

- Dewey Cox

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

...and steal an election. I don't "hate" him but he had so many chances to come through for this country and he blew every one. As a president he was just an embarassment...
    i agree. There were chances through out the 8 years for him to show himself to be a unifying, inspiring leader that made people want to stand behind him and each time he failed miserably.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    i agree. There were chances through out the 8 years for him to show himself to be a unifying, inspiring leader that made people want to stand behind him and each time he failed miserably.
    I disagree. After 9/11 Bush showed tremendous character. At that point I thought he was on his way to becoming a pretty darn good President.

How do you feel about Al Franken and Minnesota then?
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I disagree. After 9/11 Bush showed tremendous character. At that point I thought he was on his way to becoming a pretty darn good President.
    Wow, Vike...i gotta respectfully disagree on this one. I really wanted to rally behind him but he showed such little spine in my eyes. He didn't inspire me. He kept changing all the reasons for going to Iraq everything from WMDs to ties to 9/11 to "liberating women" jeez...I remember that last one. I was in a chile's having lunch, damn near spit up all over the table when he said the primary objective was to bring freedom to the women of Iraq. Every week or so it was something new. He showed little leadership once he was there and showed zero boot-strappin' Texas roughneck character, which is something I think we need...a straightshooter, no bullshit kinda guy. Hell, elect Nolan Ryan!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Well, if nothing else, George W. Bush kept Al Gore and John Kerry out of the White House - that's gotta be worth something. I don't think he did as good of a job as he could've, but I don't think he was as bad as people make him out to be. Probably could've picked better cabinet members at some posts.

Unfortunately everybody's gotta have someone to blame other than themselves, so he gets blamed for stuff that I'm not sure what he could've done about it - stuff like the gas prices and the financial crises we find ourselves in. Wasn't G.W. Bush speculating on oil futures and wasn't G.W. Bush dragging us out to spend beyond our means.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Wow, Vike...i gotta respectfully disagree on this one. I really wanted to rally behind him but he showed such little spine in my eyes. He didn't inspire me. He kept changing all the reasons for going to Iraq everything from WMDs to ties to 9/11 to "liberating women" jeez...I remember that last one. I was in a chile's having lunch, damn near spit up all over the table when he said the primary objective was to bring freedom to the women of Iraq. Every week or so it was something new. He showed little leadership once he was there and showed zero boot-strappin' Texas roughneck character, which is something I think we need...a straightshooter, no bullshit kinda guy. Hell, elect Nolan Ryan!
    I agree. I didn't vote for him but I certainly supported him after 911 and he blew that just like everything else: Afghanistan, Iraq, Katrina, Iraq (again, after proclaiming "Mission Accomplished"). From 911 to the end of his dictatorship, I mean presidency, he had to have had both the highest and lowest rates of approval in history.

- Dewey Cox