Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Stimulus Bill Increases Entitlements (Welfare)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/obama_economy

The recently passed stimulus bill:
    http://appropriations.house.gov/pdf/...ll01-15-09.pdf

During the campaign both candidates talked about the excessive spending of the Bush administration. This bill is more of the same, only at a larger level.

This was suppose to be an economic stimulus bill, not an extension of our social service programs. Out of over $850 billion, only $4 billion will go to small businesses that create jobs.

A few high points of this bill include the increasing of WIC payments by 113%! Is this going to create jobs? No! This is simply an extension of welfare.

Nearly $30 billion will go to groups like ACORN, to buy and renovate homes, and assist low income home buyers.

Another $30 billion is going to educate low income students.

Over $5 billion will go towards public housing.

Oh, and don't forget the family planning stimulus, which will provide all 50 states with matching federal funds to provide condoms.

Each thing listed above has merit, but how many jobs will they create?

Our elected officials are simply taking our money and spending it any way they wish. We have a regular budget that addresses each of the above topics. We are in a financial crunch created by spending. We cannot use spending to get out of this. More spending will only create more debt, and further devalue the dollar.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ACORN!! ACORN!! The same Acorn that was found to be forging signatures left and right on registrations to vote?? Holy moly, this does not bode well.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

spent our way into it, guess they are gonna try to spend out of it. Makes no sense to me, of course giving these giant banks all that money, so they can blow it too makes no sense to me either.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Special-Interest Groups Line Up for a Piece of Stimulus
    As the economic stimulus bill makes its way through Congress, a host of oddball recipients from ATV riders to TV viewers preparing for the digital conversion stand to benefit.

By Jim Angle

FOXNews.com

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

When Congress opens up a gusher of money, every special interest in the country reaches for a bucket. And as lawmakers negotiate an economic stimulus bill that so far is expected to cost more than $800 billion, the scenario is no different.

The House passed its version of the bill Wednesday evening, and a host of oddball recipients from ATV riders to TV viewers preparing for the digital conversion stand to benefit.

But critics question why such narrowly tailored add-ons -- which have little, if any, prospect of creating large numbers of new jobs -- are in an emergency bill aimed at stimulating the economy and creating jobs.

"The stimulus bill delivers on a lot of promises that Democrats have made over the past decade to special interest groups," said William Beach, director of the Heritage Foundation's Center for Data Analysis. "This is their time to kind of bring home the bacon."

Among the funding measures included in the proposal are $25 million for new ATV trails; $400 million for the National Endowment for the Arts; $400 million for global warming research; $335 million for the Centers for Disease Control to combat sexually-transmitted diseases; and $650 million coupons to subsidize TV viewers for digital television conversion.

"I think it's a real problem that things that are not genuinely related to stimulus are being pushed into the stimulus bill, which is then being put on a fast track that has to be done by February," said Alan D. Viard, an economist at the conservative American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research.

"We have hundreds of billions of dollars shoved into this package without taking the time to deliberately consider what amounts we need and what the effective way would be to spend it," he said.

The White House, though, argues that the stimulus package is indeed aimed at creating jobs.

"I think that you have a hard economic argument to make that paving a road, or fixing a bridge, or building a wind turbine, or laying a power grid doesn't create jobs," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

Those kinds of projects do create jobs but critics argue there is relatively little for those kinds of projects in there: Of the $819 billion package, $30 billion has been set aside for infrastructure spending.

"If there's going to be a stimulus part to this whole effort," it's going to be in the shovel-ready construction projects on our nation's highways and byways," Beach said. "But that's just a ridiculously small number."

House Democratic leaders reluctantly removed two programs that had drawn fire: $200 million for new contraceptive service and $20 million to renovate the National Mall.

But another problem exists. Even money directed at infrastructure can face delays.

For example, a proposal to spend $2.9 billion for new military hospitals says the money couldn't be spent for years -- unless Congress sets aside obstacles of its own creation.

And throwing money at problems, no matter how pressing, does have a downside. The Congressional Budget Office says borrowing $820 billion will cost $347 billion more in interest, which of course pushes the total cost of the stimulus package to more than $1 trillion.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 18,157 Times in 8,973 Posts

I worry for this country, we truly have a collection of idiots in power.

I am not speaking of any particular party or wing of said party. I am talking about all of them. I just read that sucker, and that is a special interest bonanza. With the way he has started, Obama is making Bush look like a penny pincher, and THAT is scary. Very little of that is going to go directly into anyone's pockets.

I think they are all idiots, Democrat, Republican, liberal, conservative, all of them. They are all so out of touch with the interests of their constituents.

And I won't call them liars, but saying to the press and on interviews that a major component of the bill is infrastructure when in all actuality it is a small percentage, I will be kind and call that stretching the truth.

And $400 million MORE to the National Endowment for the Arts? When is this insanity going to end? I am all for art, and even stuff that I don't consider art like "Piss Christ", but hey, it's a free country, do whatever the hell you want, just don't make me pay for it. If you aren't good enough at your art to make a living, do what everyone else does, get a real job and do the art on the side.

I play bass and sing in a band, but guess what, that doesn't pay the bills and never will, so I GOT A DAMN JOB!!

I don't see a National Endowment For Extremely Average Bass Players for $400 million.

If so, maybe Wolfie and I could apply for a grant....

Sorry, couldn't resist!!
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 01.29.09 at 05:35 AM.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Saw Nancy Pelosi on CBS this morning trying to explain how $330 Million earmarked for the prevention of STD's was going to help the economy......boy, she sure was studdering and tap-dancing.

She was trying to say that in the long run, it was actually going to SAVE us money.....
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

In case everyone didn't notice, a democrat is in office. Does any of this suprise you? What I can't figure out is why do we have to get rid of analog tv? I mean I use comcast but I'm sure some people in po-dunk Arkansas can't afford it or can't get it.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, the government says they need the analog frequencies. My guess is that digitial TV manufacturers, cable providers and HD companies lobbied their asses off to have a government mandate.

As far as welfare...well, what the hell did anyone expect. This is a giant mess. A giant steaming pile of mess wrapped up in a filthy mess buritto and served with a side order of mess and mess. I don't see anything even remotely positive coming from any of this. We seem to be intent on giving money to the greedy rich bastards who have a sense of entitlement AND to the loser deadbeat detritus who have a sense of entitlement.

Shit like this makes me want to drop off the grid and live in the hills somewhere...maybe Ruby Ridge has a vacancy.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Well, the government says they need the analog frequencies. My guess is that digitial TV manufacturers, cable providers and HD companies lobbied their asses off to have a government mandate.

As far as welfare...well, what the hell did anyone expect. This is a giant mess. A giant steaming pile of mess wrapped up in a filthy mess buritto and served with a side order of mess and mess. I don't see anything even remotely positive coming from any of this. We seem to be intent on giving money to the greedy rich bastards who have a sense of entitlement AND to the loser deadbeat detritus who have a sense of entitlement.

Shit like this makes me want to drop off the grid and live in the hills somewhere...maybe Ruby Ridge has a vacancy.
    I have an employee thats is on WIC and Food stamps and truly needs it. But ALOT of my hispanic employees are on WIC. This just makes me sick because I know for a fact that they are illigal and they are draining the Govornment slowely.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I have an employee thats is on WIC and Food stamps and truly needs it. But ALOT of my hispanic employees are on WIC. This just makes me sick because I know for a fact that they are illigal and they are draining the Govornment slowely.
    If you have such an issue with supposedly illegal hispanics draining our government why do you employ them?

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    What I can't figure out is why do we have to get rid of analog tv? I mean I use comcast but I'm sure some people in po-dunk Arkansas can't afford it or can't get it.
    Because the government already sold the rights to the currrent analog spectrum for billions, and now the cell companies actually want to start using it.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't see a National Endowment For Extremely Average Bass Players for $400 million.
    If you had the right lobbyist I'll bet you would.

I've got to look into the "Art Endowment" thing. I don't even know what it is. Must be something relatively important to throw that much money at it.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Well this truly is change we can count on isn't it. It sure isn't surprising that a Dem president, Dem congress and Senate wants to waste more of our tax payer dollars. Also no surprise that not one Republican supported it and even 10 Democrats new it was a big waste of money. Why don't they realize that cutting business taxes and personal taxes is what will help stimulate the economy now. Put more money into the pockets of taxpayers and they will spend it. I'm not talking a one time check for $500.00, but a tax cut that gives you more money every week in your check, and that cuts taxes for small businesses to help them to preserve what jobs they may have left.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

IMO, we're screwed if we spend the money and we're screwed if we don't. Companies are going to go bankrupt, it's already happening, some of this money will perhaps prop up some of these companies survive, but many will still die and take our money with them.,,likely leaving the execs the only ones with any cash at all.

Look, I'm one of the most optimistist people you will likely meet, I tend to see the good in most things, but this is going to get a whole lot uglier over at least the next year or two. The gov't and the press are not using the dreaded "D" word, but I believe it's coming and it is going to cause widespread panic in this country as well as around the world...

...and if that scenario plays through, this quote from Tommy Lee Jones in MiB says it best: "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.