Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

06.04.11 @ 06:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wolfgang Question

Just wondering what the basic preference is on a Wolfie, Stoptail or Floyd. What are the pros, cons, likes and dislikes of each. I have 2 of each, but I always felt that I was in the minority for liking the stoptail better. Just curious what other players think.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Uh... Hmm... You can probably just start digging through old threads, TopJoey, and you'll find eons of opinions on the Wolfgang.

I've profiled all my Wolfgangs on my website. The first one is here: http://www.andrewthomas.net/archives/00000070.html.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default I will just say what I prefer overall

Quote Originally Posted by TopJoey View Post
    Just wondering what the basic preference is on a Wolfie, Stoptail or Floyd. What are the pros, cons, likes and dislikes of each. I have 2 of each, but I always felt that I was in the minority for liking the stoptail better. Just curious what other players think.
    While I love the fun special effects of a Floyd, my heart always belongs to a stop-tail guitar. They have better sustain, they stay in tune much easier, and are generally more stable. I can take two stoptails to a gig and rarely have to break out the other unless I want to, but with a trem-equipped guitar, I had better take three or four. I definitely use all four of them, and one is generally done by the end of the first set.

I don't own a stop-tail Wolf, but I would have to think I would probably prefer it over a Floyd version.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    While I love the fun special effects of a Floyd, my heart always belongs to a stop-tail guitar. They have better sustain, they stay in tune much easier, and are generally more stable. I can take two stoptails to a gig and rarely have to break out the other unless I want to, but with a trem-equipped guitar, I had better take three or four. I definitely use all four of them, and one is generally done by the end of the first set.

I don't own a stop-tail Wolf, but I would have to think I would probably prefer it over a Floyd version.
    Bunnyman - I don't get this dude....I gig two times or more every weekend, but I take my Mman Petrucci as my main (floating standard type trem with locking tuners) and a Mman Steve Morse as my back up (with a Floyd).

I use the trem a lot - and as the Petrucci is prob the most comfortable guitar I've ever picked up i just use it for the entire gig unless a string pops, then I use the Morse - but it stays in tune incredibly. I can use it at a gig, arrive the following night - and it's still in tune.

You must be an animal with the bar dude!
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Bunnyman - I don't get this dude....I gig two times or more every weekend, but I take my Mman Petrucci as my main (floating standard type trem with locking tuners) and a Mman Steve Morse as my back up (with a Floyd).

I use the trem a lot - and as the Petrucci is prob the most comfortable guitar I've ever picked up i just use it for the entire gig unless a string pops, then I use the Morse - but it stays in tune incredibly. I can use it at a gig, arrive the following night - and it's still in tune.

You must be an animal with the bar dude!
    I go nutters on the bar. But I will admit that I don't need to retune much when I am just playing rhythm. I also never play lead on the songs I sing, which is becoming more of the norm these days.

Jamie is the Floyd guitar that goes out of tune the least. She actually is the most stable trem-fitted guitar I have ever owned. She has a Gotoh Floyd. That's why she's the "main squeeze".

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

All my guitars save for my Explorer have a Floyd and I have never had issues with going out of tune. You must be wanking that thing to hell.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    All my guitars save for my Explorer have a Floyd and I have never had issues with going out of tune. You must be wanking that thing to hell.
    Okay- I will clarify here: I just have to use the fine-tuners a whole bunch. I don't even get a full half-step out of tune. I do wank the shit out of the bar, and I usually break one string per gig. This was until Jamie came into my life...

On Jamie, however: she is more stable than ANY of my trem-equipped guitars. That is one of MANY reasons why she's the main squeeze...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Liked 11,543 Times in 4,918 Posts

Up until about 7 years ago I was chronic string breaker, but I think a lot of had to do with my picks...once I switched from Fender Mediums to Dunlop Tortexes I rarely if ever break a string now. Maybe my touch has changed too, who knows, but I never break strings anymore. I used to have to have bring like four guitars with me live, now I just bring two and only because I need to switch up on a couple songs.

Do you rest your arm on the bridge a lot? Are they blocked or do they float? All my Floyds are blocked and I don't rest my had on the bridge much at all.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

If you find you're breaking strings at the bridge, change the saddles. If you're breaking them on one string, check for burrs in the saddle and polish said saddle to remove burrs. Graph Tech has the Graphite saddles which work wonders for string breakage.

As Brett mentioned pick changes help. If you notice the trem is not returning to neutral or zero each time, check the knife edges of the trem as well as the trem post. If you use the trem alot, these get worn and will need to be replaced. Big Bends Nut Sauce(insert your own joke here) works great to lube the post/knife edge.

Also, the locking nut can and will wear over time. It's a cheap replacement and will sometimes cure the string slippage.

Just some tips I use when I or my customers have problematic Floyd's and trem's in general.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair View Post
    If you find you're breaking strings at the bridge, change the saddles. If you're breaking them on one string, check for burrs in the saddle and polish said saddle to remove burrs. Graph Tech has the Graphite saddles which work wonders for string breakage.

As Brett mentioned pick changes help. If you notice the trem is not returning to neutral or zero each time, check the knife edges of the trem as well as the trem post. If you use the trem alot, these get worn and will need to be replaced. Big Bends Nut Sauce(insert your own joke here) works great to lube the post/knife edge.

Also, the locking nut can and will wear over time. It's a cheap replacement and will sometimes cure the string slippage.

Just some tips I use when I or my customers have problematic Floyd's and trem's in general.
    I will try.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Up until about 7 years ago I was chronic string breaker, but I think a lot of had to do with my picks...once I switched from Fender Mediums to Dunlop Tortexes I rarely if ever break a string now. Maybe my touch has changed too, who knows, but I never break strings anymore. I used to have to have bring like four guitars with me live, now I just bring two and only because I need to switch up on a couple songs.

Do you rest your arm on the bridge a lot? Are they blocked or do they float? All my Floyds are blocked and I don't rest my had on the bridge much at all.
    Mine are blocked. Like I said, Jamie is extremely stable. I was just jamming on her a little while ago, and I went nuts on the bar. She stayed in tune. Cotton Candy does have new strings, so she needs to stretch a bit.

It could be the quality of trem I was using, as well. But don't get me started on traditional Strat trems or Bigsbys...

Orange tortex plectrums for me. Never used anything else (with the exception of my throw-away plecs with my name on them).