All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Default Eleven-month-old boy accidentally dials 9-1-1 and gets dad arrested

By The Canadian Press
    WHITE ROCK, B.C. - A B.C. man probably wishes he had given his 11-month-old son a set of keys to play with instead of a phone, after the infant accidentally dialed 9-1-1 and brought police to dad's marijuana grow operation.

Mounties say a 9-1-1 call came in from a White Rock, B.C. residence Friday morning but whoever was on the other end of the line hung up. Officers arrived at the residence and after numerous knocks on the door went unanswered, they entered the home.

"The gentleman was quite surprised," said White Rock RCMP Const. Janelle Canning.

She said the 29-year-old male, startled by the sudden sight of police, insisted he hadn't made the call.

When it was suggested a child might have dialed, the father objected and said his son was far too young.

That's when police spotted the baby boy, phone in hand.

"We saw him playing with the cordless phone and just pressing all the buttons, so evidently he had called 9-1-1," Canning said.

With that mystery solved, officers began inspecting the residence and soon discovered a 500-plant marijuana grow operation.

The father was arrested and will appear in court in early April on charges of production of a controlled substance and mischief.

The boy was removed from the home by the Ministry of Children and Family Development, though he was later released into his mother's custody.

The mother does not live in the residence and Canning says she had no idea what was going on at the home.
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

"We saw him playing with the cordless phone and just pressing all the buttons, so evidently he had called 9-1-1," Canning said.

With that mystery solved, officers began inspecting the residence and soon discovered a 500-plant marijuana grow operation.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, stop! Time out!
    I'm not familiar with Canadian law, but it seems as though a part of the story is missing here. How do we get from "Oops, my baby dialed the phone. Mystery solved," to, "Now let's search the house"?
    Does the mere fact that the baby dialed 911 by accident give the police the right to search the premesis? Why didn't they audit his taxes while they were at it?

Don't read this.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

hahaha. My son did that once when he was 6 months old, luckily no grow-op in the house when the cops arrived.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

I'm not familiar with Canadian law, but it seems as though a part of the story is missing here. How do we get from "Oops, my baby dialed the phone. Mystery solved," to, "Now let's search the house"?
    Does the mere fact that the baby dialed 911 by accident give the police the right to search the premesis? Why didn't they audit his taxes while they were at it?
    Bingo. Either there is something missing from the story (eg. He was as stoned as a badger and the place stank of weed) or Canadian law is a little bit different to what I thought.

Or maybe the kid tipped off the cops.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Could be that the cops showed up to investigate the call and upon entering the house either saw the plants or smelled dad enjoying the fruits of his labor.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.30.11 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not everything is supplied to the press by the police in the way of information. They usually stick to the fact that there was an arrest and what the charge is and the general area of where it happened. Because of the extradordinary circumstances of the case, the police felt the need to put in their press release that the baby called 9-1-1 by accident resulting in father getting arrested. Having said that, I would guess it was obvious to the officers that the house was a grow op; smell, visible plants, father smoking up on the couch, etc.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dick_Cinnamon View Post
    Not everything is supplied to the press by the police in the way of information. They usually stick to the fact that there was an arrest and what the charge is and the general area of where it happened. Because of the extradordinary circumstances of the case, the police felt the need to put in their press release that the baby called 9-1-1 by accident resulting in father getting arrested. Having said that, I would guess it was obvious to the officers that the house was a grow op; smell, visible plants, father smoking up on the couch, etc.
    I don't know...grow houses of that magnitude are usually pretty sleak, pretty technologically sound endeavours taking things like unexpected visitors and smell into account. I'd be very surprised if the cops "saw" plants or whatever.

On an aside: here in Houston, in the Montrose area a few years back, the cops raided this guy's house. Blew through the door, had the guy pinned on the grown, DEA and swat agents, the whole nine yards. Not a marijuana leaf or seed to be seen. Why? Because he wasn't a freaking grower. He was a botanist with an extraordinary collection of rare and endangered plants and a neighbour assumed he was a pot dealer.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post

On an aside: here in Houston, in the Montrose area a few years back, the cops raided this guy's house. Blew through the door, had the guy pinned on the grown, DEA and swat agents, the whole nine yards. Not a marijuana leaf or seed to be seen. Why? Because he wasn't a freaking grower. He was a botanist with an extraordinary collection of rare and endangered plants and a neighbour assumed he was a pot dealer.

That's got to be embarrassing if you're the neighbor. Oops!
    I don't think Hallmark makes a card for that.

Don't read this.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    hahaha. My son did that once when he was 6 months old, luckily no grow-op in the house when the cops arrived.

And noooooow?
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

That's got to be embarrassing if you're the neighbor. Oops!
    I don't think Hallmark makes a card for that.
    the botanist was PISSED. From what I read, the cops completely ruined most of his green house, destroyed parts of his house, killed a bunch of the delicate endangered species, his front door was torn completely off the frame because they went in with the battering ram thing...it was a complete mess. Never heard anything else about it. When I read it, i think in the Houston Press, I thought for sure it would be major news but it just sort of slipped under the radar of the local TV newscasts...

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

There was a case in a neighboring town of mine a few years back. The police and fire were responding to a fire alarm at a very nice house in an affluent community. When they arrived nobody was home but the alarm was signaling a fire so they entered the residence. The entire house was being used as a grow factory. Living room, dining room, family room, bedrooms and even the the basement was loaded with plants. No one was even living in the house. Neighbors had no idea what was going on. The lawn was always cut and they rarely saw the owners. Bitch of it is one of the grow lamps shorted out right under a smoke alarm. No fire but there was enough smoke to set off the alarm.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    There was a case in a neighboring town of mine a few years back. The police and fire were responding to a fire alarm at a very nice house in an affluent community. When they arrived nobody was home but the alarm was signaling a fire so they entered the residence. The entire house was being used as a grow factory. Living room, dining room, family room, bedrooms and even the the basement was loaded with plants. No one was even living in the house. Neighbors had no idea what was going on. The lawn was always cut and they rarely saw the owners. Bitch of it is one of the grow lamps shorted out right under a smoke alarm. No fire but there was enough smoke to set off the alarm.
    damn.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

There definitely has to be more to the story. With that said when police are called to a residence as a result of a 911 call they do have more rights than a normal call. It is their responsibility to ensure that the call was indeed by accident. For example...let's say this guy just beat the crap out of his spouse and she dialed from another room. It's easy enough for this guy to put the phone in the baby's hand and claim it was an accidental dial. I know that is a bit of a stretch but that is the type of situation that results in them being able to go a little further in the search department. My guess on this one is that it wasn't exactly a Better Homes and Gardens living room that they walked into.

Just found this:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/National

The police found a quiet domestic scene. The boy's 29-year-old father was with the toddler in a bedroom, watching a late-morning television program. There was no emergency. But once the police were inside the house, they picked up a distinctive odour and quickly discovered 500 marijuana plants growing in the floor below.
    Last edited by jetguy5150; 01.22.09 at 08:29 AM.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, Fair Warning, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Everybody Wants Some
    Last Online

01.21.12 @ 03:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The part that's missing is that the house probably smelled really strong from Mr. Skunk E. Budd, or, the dude was toking it up. Reasonable suspicion gives the cops the right to investigate further.

I just wonder the dad will say to his child yrs. from now?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by i1sum2! View Post
    The part that's missing is that the house probably smelled really strong from Mr. Skunk E. Budd, or, the dude was toking it up. Reasonable suspicion gives the cops the right to investigate further.

I just wonder the dad will say to his child yrs. from now?
    "pass the dutchie on the left hand side"