Register
    Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default With the onslaught of EVH-sounding pups...

... I was wondering whether or not Eddie would try and patent the "brown sound"? I remember when Harley Davidson was trying to patent the sound of their bikes.

I have counted no less than five pickups that promise to produce a "brown sound". This doesn't count the ones that don't outright sell themselves as "brown sound" producers.

Please don't groan at me on this- I think it's silly, yet knowing how some guys have been given cease and desist letters for guitars they aren't even trying to sell, I could see this coming on the horizon.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I don't think it's silly at all. I wouldn't be even a little surprised if this idea wasn't run past the lawyers of EVH Inc or whatever the hell Eddie's company is called. I don't think it would hold up legally so it can't be done, but I wouldn't put it past Eddie or one of his minions to play with the idea of trying to patent a sound. It's amazing to me how many pickups associate themselves with a brown sound.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    I don't think it's silly at all. I wouldn't be even a little surprised if this idea wasn't run past the lawyers of EVH Inc or whatever the hell Eddie's company is called. I don't think it would hold up legally so it can't be done, but I wouldn't put it past Eddie or one of his minions to play with the idea of trying to patent a sound. It's amazing to me how many pickups associate themselves with a brown sound.
    But alas- "Brown Sound" is not trademarked. That actually surprises me. Okay- I am Gobsmacked that it isn't a trademarked term.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    But alas- "Brown Sound" is not trademarked. That actually surprises me. Okay- I am Gobsmacked that it isn't a trademarked term.
    you never know, after reading this thread he (or his minions) might just start proceedings!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    you never know, after reading this thread he (or his minions) might just start proceedings!
    Well, if I get into the pickup business, I will market an old-style PAF that is eerily reminiscent of a certain guy who names guitars after his son that will produce a "deeply tan sound".

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

wow...i can't believe no one owns the phrase "the brown sound." How much does it cost to trademark something like that?

wait...i just did a search...it's taken. "Brown Sound" is a trademark a few different types of companies but none of them manufacture pick ups. The closest thing is a company that registered Brown Sound and they make audio speakers. The other companies make clothes and stuff.
    Last edited by broken9500; 01.20.09 at 06:27 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    I allways thought it was funny how Ed got all the credit for the whole "brown sound" thing. It was Al's term to describe how he wants his snare to sound. He equated wood , earthy, to brown. I know Eddie got all the attention for his technique and sound. I just think that if Al came up with it originally, then a patent is negligable, unless it was a joint effort between the brothers. Al is also a hell of a tinkerer. He supposedly had his hand in the creation of those in ear monitors. Not sure if his name is on the patent exclusively.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    wow...i can't believe no one owns the phrase "the brown sound." How much does it cost to trademark something like that?

wait...i just did a search...it's taken. "Brown Sound" is a trademark a few different types of companies but none of them manufacture pick ups. The closest thing is a company that registered Brown Sound and they make audio speakers. The other companies make clothes and stuff.
    Don't forget that the "brown sound" or "brown note" was a military experiment back in the forties and fifties where supposedly there is a specific frequency range that when delivered at extreme levels could in theory cripple the enemy by loss of bodily control, ie motor control and the bowels. I'm not joking. The Mythbusters even tried this, but were'nt able to achieve the desired result.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Don't forget that the "brown sound" or "brown note" was a military experiment back in the forties and fifties where supposedly there is a specific frequency range that when delivered at extreme levels could in theory cripple the enemy by loss of bodily control, ie motor control and the bowels. I'm not joking. The Mythbusters even tried this, but were'nt able to achieve the desired result.
    i seem to remember this too, it was an extremely low frequency, below 4cycles i think.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    However, on one episode of South Park, they did achieve "brown sound" and everyone had deficated themselves.

So it can happen.