Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Hagar January 2009 Interview

I subscribe to what is arguably the absolute BEST music magazine out there right now. It's called "Classic Rock Magazine" (www.classicrockmagazine.com), and, even though it's published and distributed mainly in England, you can find it at bookstores like Borders. The subscription is expensive as hell, but it's worth it for the kickass, in-depth articles and the free stuff (CD's, DVD's, guitar picks, etc.) that come with each monthly issue. This magazine focuses on bands we all grew up listening to (Deep Purple, T-Rex, Sabbath, Van Halen, Rush, etc.) and hardly a negative is ever said about the bands they interview. Keep in mind, though, where this interview is concerned, they did get some of their facts incorrect.

This month's Q&A interview within CRM is Sammy Hagar. Their website is usually a month or two behind schedule, so I'll transcribe Sam's Q&A for everyone here:

THE SOLO ARTIST AND FORMER VAN HALEN SINGER ON MAKING $80M IN ONE DAY AND BEING "BETTER THAN" LED ZEP.

Sammy Hagar found fame in his 20's, having joined the band Montrose for their eponymously titled 1973 album, considered to be one of the great debuts. Having established himself as a solo artist, he participated in a project called "HSAS" with Journey's Neal Schon in 1983. Two years later Hagar replaced David Lee Roth in Van Halen. The singer went solo again in 1996, although he did participate in VH's 2003 reunion tour. "Cosmic Universal Fashion" is Sammy's first new solo studio record since 2002's "Not 4 Sale".

COSMIC UNIVERSAL FASHON IS QUITE DIFFERENT FROM THE SOLO ALBUMS YOU MADE IN THE 1980's.
    I didn't want to mimic myself, but I like to think that it touches upon each era of what I've done so far, including Montrose and Van Halen. I'm proud to have done a straight-up blues song like "Switch On The Light", which features Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, and "Psycho Vertigo" is something Montrose could've recorded.

WHO IS STEVEN LOST, THE IRAQI ROCKER WHO CO-WROTE THE ALBUM'S TITLE SONG?
    I don't really know. We've never met. I guess he lives in Iraq, and I'm not interested in visiting that place [laughs]. Steven sent five tracks to me. The idea of working with a fan was very unusual, but his songs were decent. We've never even conversed; I took his basic ideas and added my own lyrics and melody.

ALTHOUGH YOU'VE SAID THAT THE SONG "ISN'T ABOUT SUPPORTING LEFT OR RIGHT, BLUE OR RED", IT IS POLITICAL, ISN'T IT?
    Yes. The world is at a crossroads. We need to relive the old Zen philosophy of right here, right now. People are going hungry and there's so much you can do. You don't need to wait for the government to do anything.

SO WERE YOU HAPPY TO SEE BARACK OBAMA ELECTED?
    If he does what he says he will, then absolutely.

THE NEW ALBUM IS AVAILABLE VIA THE ROADRUNNER OFFSHOOT LABEL "LOUD AND PROUD". AFTER SO LONG WITH WARNER BROS., CAPITOL, AND GEFFEN, ARE YOU NOTICING A BIG DIFFERENCE?
    I call Loud And Proud a major label, if only because it has wordwide distribution. As I discovered with my last 4 CD's, which went nowhere, you need promotion and distribution. Although I play huge amphitheaters in America, I can't get arrested in Europe. Roadrunner convinced me that they could rectify all of that.

THE LAST TIME YOU PLAYED BRITIAN WAS WITH VAN HALEN, OPENING FOR BON JOVI AT WEMBLEY STADIUM IN 1995.
    Unfortunately, that's true. Promoters tell me: "We can put you in a small nightclub for 500 people." What, are you crazy? That would make me feel like a failure. I don't do this for monetary reasons, but I should at least be playing theaters. When I was offered the chance to play for 40,000 people at the Sweden Rock Festival in 2005, yessir, I'll be there! I tried to do a show in London at Hammersmith Apollo but was advised to cancel after it looked like only 500 or 600 tickets would be sold. That was heartbreaking. I will make it back to Britain, I guarantee it.

WHEN VAN HALEN REUNITED IN 2003, OFFERS MUST HAVE BEEN MADE FOR THE BAND TO PLAY SHOWS IN THE UK?
    We were specifically approached to go to Europe, also to Japan. Everywhere, in fact. But, there were some people in that band who were not healthy enough to do international traveling at that point. Nobody wanted to go all the way and have things fall apart. That reunion wasn't a great experience. I'm happy for the [American] fans that it got done, and we did the best we could under the circumstances, but the relationship had really deteriorated too far.

VAN HALEN WERE INDUCTED INTO THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME IN 2007, AND THEN GOT DAVID LEE ROTH BACK AS SINGER. AT THE CEREMONY, DID THE CONTROVERSY OVER WHO WOULD AND WOULDN'T BE INVOLVED DETRACT IN ANY WAY FROM YOUR ENJOYMENT?
    Leading up to it, most definitely. It was like "Oh shit. What's gonna happen here?" It was supposed to be a very special moment. It was a wonderful experience. Keith Richards sat in the front row and gave me the thumbs-up. I had tears in my eyes and goose bumps on my arms.

ON A HAPPIER NOTE, HOW DID YOU CELEBRATE ON THE NIGHT THAT YOU MADE A WHOPPING $80 MILLION BY SELLING AN 80 PERCENT SHARE OF YOUR CABO WABO TEQUILA COMPANY?
    I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. just took my wife upstairs and had the time of my life, as I usually do.

BY THE TIME PEOPLE READ THIS, YOU'LL BE RECORDING AN ALBUM WITH JOE SATRIANI, FORMER VAN HALEN BASSIST MICHAEL ANTHONY, AND VHILI PEPPERS DRUMMER CHAD SMITH IN A BAND KNOWN TENTATIVELY AS CHICKENFOOT.
    We've got nine songs ready to go and andy johns [Led Zeppelin/Free/Rolling Stones] is engineering and producing. It sounds monstrous and we hope to release it next summer.

WAS YOUR MOUTH RUNNING AWAY WITH YOU WHEN YOU LIKENED THE PROJECT TO LED ZEPPELIN?
    Yes. I'd been doing a tequila presentation in Canada, drinking all day, and by the time I did that interview in the evening I was plastered. The music is awesome, and it's in the style of early Led Zeppelin, it's not better than Led Zeppelin. How dare I say something like that?

-End
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,389 Times in 763 Posts

OK, this is a REAL Sam interview right there. The guy is brutally honest about playing England. How many guys out there would admit to this?

Grade A interview, stamped guaranteed!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Thanks for posting the interview.

That 2004 tour could've been so much bigger and grander.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

"SOME members of the band weren't healthy enough for international travel at that point...

Look it's OBVIOUS he is talking about Ed!!! Why do you have to open your big fucking mouth Sammy!?!?!? Jesus Christ!...telling the truth is so BULLSHIT these days. And I personally don't want to hear the truth.

Keep telling it like it is brotha
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So you'd prefer to continue looking at the workd through red, black, and white striped colored glasses?
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now that sounds like Sammy. Not like that other bullshit phony interview being picked apart here on the links. So all the Sammy haters looking for something to complain about, take a hike!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvH_316_5150 View Post
    "SOME members of the band weren't healthy enough for international travel at that point...

Look it's OBVIOUS he is talking about Ed!!! Why do you have to open your big fucking mouth Sammy!?!?!? Jesus Christ!...telling the truth is so BULLSHIT these days. And I personally don't want to hear the truth.

Keep telling it like it is brotha

Pretty funny exaggeration man. Good proper interview. Notice the non trashing his friend or airing dirty laundry in public? Thanks Sam.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    Pretty funny exaggeration man. Good proper interview. Notice the non trashing his friend or airing dirty laundry in public? Thanks Sam.
    Agreed.

I don't have a problem with Sam answering a direct question about what went on during the 2004 tour. This is the way it should be done. imo.

Good on you for acknowledging that SS. Apologies for the usual suspect crack.

btw....I still have my doubts about that other interview. It just seems too angry to me.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    Agreed.

I don't have a problem with Sam answering a direct question about what went on during the 2004 tour. This is the way it should be done. imo.

Good on you for acknowledging that SS. Apologies for the usual suspect crack.

btw....I still have my doubts about that other interview. It just seems too angry to me.

Yeah, it does seem fishy. Blabbermouth is a pretty big website but they are called blabbernouth after all. Maybe he'll mention it on his website or something. I'll have a look.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:28 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

I'm glad he finally cleared up the whole "Chickenfoot-Led Zeppelin" reference thing.