Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Default Eddie's New Pickups (A Theory)

So, I've read and seen alot about how particular Eddie is about his tone, and the tone of the instruments that bear his name. Particularly about how on his most recent version of the Wolfgang, it took a number of months to get the sound of the pickups the way he wanted them.

With that in mind, I was taken by suprise to learn that Eddie was releasing a signature pickup, not mounted in one of his guitars. Here's couple things that make me curious:

How did he test these pickups? Did he put these in some of his guitars and try them out? What process did he go through to give them his stamp of approval?

Why isn't there more press about these pickups? Nothing on the EVHGEAR website that I've found. No promotional video.

This leads me to my theory, which is:

The Relic'd pickups were extra pickups that were produced for an anticipated 2nd run of the Frankenstrat Relic.

The non-relic'd pickups are extra pickups that were produced for the EVH Art Series guitars.

We know that Eddie was still producing Art Series guitars for the tours, even though the production models were limited to 1500 in each color, so there is probably a supply of pickups left over.

I believe now that the new Wolfgang is being released, EVH and FMIC are looking to unload all of the pickups they had for these guitars, and focus all of their energy in the new Wolfgang, and variations of the new Wolfgang.

I have no inside information, and am totally guessing, but it makes complete sense to me.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Too many to decide
    Last Online

10.08.15 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

makes sense
    Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it. DLR

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Could be. When it comes to Eddie and his pickups, it really is a clusterfuck. Same thing with his necks. How many times has he said they copied my old neck or my old pickup? Yet every pickup and every neck on his new shit is nothing like the previous guitar...like the pickups and necks from the EBEVH to the Peavey Wolf are completely different, yet they were copies of his older guitars, now the Fender is different again. He also said in that recent interview that they went through like 80 different pickups to get the final version. Chip Ellis said they rejected some of the best sounding pickups he's ever heard. If I was Fender and we were at like the 79th pickup, I would have just given him back the very first pickup just to see if he could tell the difference. It becomes really stupid at some point and counter-productive. Who knows what these pickups are, they could be any old shit Fender has lying around, slap the EVH name on em, and charge a bundle.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

i wouldn't be a bit surprised if the 80 pickups story was bull.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post

The Relic'd pickups were extra pickups that were produced for an anticipated 2nd run of the Frankenstrat Relic.

The non-relic'd pickups are extra pickups that were produced for the EVH Art Series guitars.

We know that Eddie was still producing Art Series guitars for the tours, even though the production models were limited to 1500 in each color, so there is probably a supply of pickups left over.

I believe now that the new Wolfgang is being released, EVH and FMIC are looking to unload all of the pickups they had for these guitars, and focus all of their energy in the new Wolfgang, and variations of the new Wolfgang.

I have no inside information, and am totally guessing, but it makes complete sense to me.
    Your theory sounds plausible, but...

-A second run of the Fender "Replica" is unlikely since it would seriously devalue the first run (more likely, EVH Corp and FMIC are simply be cashing in on individual parts of the Franky and will continue to offer more parts).

-The pick up in the Charvel "EVH Arts Series" (production and concert played) were made by Fender whereas the new EVH signature pick ups are being made by Seymour Duncan.

The point is: both models of the new EVH pick ups are not "left over" pick ups, they are new pick ups being made for EVH Corp by Seymour Duncan. The "relic" version in the Custom Shop and the "clean" version on the production floor.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I've read and seen alot about how particular Eddie is about his tone, and the tone of the instruments that bear his name. Particularly about how on his most recent version of the Wolfgang, it took a number of months to get the sound of the pickups the way he wanted them.

With that in mind, I was taken by suprise to learn that Eddie was releasing a signature pickup, not mounted in one of his guitars. Here's couple things that make me curious:

How did he test these pickups? Did he put these in some of his guitars and try them out? What process did he go through to give them his stamp of approval?

Why isn't there more press about these pickups? Nothing on the EVHGEAR website that I've found. No promotional video.

1) The pickups for the new Wolfgangs are not what he is selling.
    2) The pickups from the Frankie are on musicians friend.
    3) Seymour Duncan is making the Frankie pickups. The relic's version are made in the SD Custon Shop and the non relic's are made on their production floor. same specs except for the cosmetic aging

I would imagine he tested prototypes of the Frankie that had the pickups in it. As far as I can tell there is no limit on the Unrelic'd version so I would expect them to be around for awhile.

Personally, I doubt they were planning another run of Frankies @ 25k a pop. The Charvels did not exactly fly off the shelves at 2k. I think the New wolfgangs are really going to struggle @ 3k.

I don't think they had left overs. I think its just more item in the EVH brand catalog

Last Online

07.20.15 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the pickups that just went on sale have nothing to do with the new Wolfgang coming out the pickups are from the Frankenstrat look at the name of the pickups

EVH Frankenstein Humbucker

they have nothing to do with the new wolfgang...............

Last Online

I wasn't trying to say that these pickups are associated with the new Wolfgang, quite the opposite. My contention was that because the new Wolfgang was coming out , that they were unloading extra pickups that they had left over from the production of the relic'd Frankenstrat, and the EVH Art Series guitars.

The information that the original pickups for both the Frankenstrat and the Art Series were produced by Fender, and the new ones are made by Seymour Duncan completely blows that theory.

Still think it's weird that they kind of snuck the pickups in under the radar the way they did. I mean, they just appeared without any hype whatsoever.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Last Online

The information that the original pickups for both the Frankenstrat and the Art Series were produced by Fender, and the new ones are made by Seymour Duncan completely blows that theory.
    Only the Charvel EVH Art Series pick ups were made by Fender, the $25,000 Fender Franky Replica pick ups, on the other hand, were manufactured and relic'd by the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop.

Last Online

I don't know what formula Fender used for the Art Series pickup, but I love it. Those pickups fucking scream. To my ear, it's the closest to the CVH sound that I've heard. I was actually hoping that the un-relic'd pickups were actually the Art Series pickups.

Oh well, I'll probably get the new un-relic'd pickup and give her a try.

Last Online

07.20.15 @ 05:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the new pickups that coming out i think are the same pickups that Seymour Duncan Custom Shop had for a long time the name was EVH remember the "Evenly Voiced Harmonics" than it changed to 78 model.. thats what i think and the art series the pickups is different to my ears alittle less bite n bass the frankenstrat pickps sounds more bassy n rounder to me....

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cdvh5150 View Post
    the new pickups that coming out i think are the same pickups that Seymour Duncan Custom Shop had for a long time the name was EVH remember the "Evenly Voiced Harmonics" than it changed to 78 model.. thats what i think
    You might think that, BUT the Seymour Duncan EVH 78 and the New EVH Frankenstein (manufactured by Seymour Duncan for EVH Corp/FMIC) are two separate and distinct pick ups...
    Here are the specs on each model as per the Seymour Duncan:

Seymour Duncan '78
    Magnet: Fully Charged Alnico 2
    Wire: Plain Enamel
    DCR: ~ 9.0K

EVH Frankenstein
    Magnet: Degaussed Alnico 2
    Wire: Poly
    DCR: ~ 14K

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    You might think that, BUT the Seymour Duncan EVH 78 and the New EVH Frankenstein (manufactured by Seymour Duncan for EVH Corp/FMIC) are two separate and distinct pick ups...
    Here are the specs on each model as per the Seymour Duncan:

Seymour Duncan '78
    Magnet: Fully Charged Alnico 2
    Wire: Plain Enamel
    DCR: ~ 9.0K

EVH Frankenstein
    Magnet: Degaussed Alnico 2
    Wire: Poly
    DCR: ~ 14K
    I just wonder how they compare sound-wise? 5K ohms is quite a difference as far as resistance. An old PAF neck was somewhere around 8K ohms.

How well do people cop EVH tone with the 78 Custom? How well will one cop an EVH tone with the new Frankenstein pup?

But just like with everything else with Frankenstein, who knows how many times he rewound the pickup? The new Frankenstein pup could represent the last time he rewound the pickup. Eddie was known to tinker a teeny bit.

One last thought: what if the new Frankenstein pup was designed to be used with the 5150 III head? Some pups work better with some amps. For exmple: Boobtones love lower-output PAF-types, and yet the lower output pups scream out of the amp. Just a thought...
    Last edited by bunnyman; 01.20.09 at 03:58 AM.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Your theory sounds plausible, but...

-A second run of the Fender "Replica" is unlikely since it would seriously devalue the first run (more likely, EVH Corp and FMIC are simply be cashing in on individual parts of the Franky and will continue to offer more parts).

-The pick up in the Charvel "EVH Arts Series" (production and concert played) were made by Fender whereas the new EVH signature pick ups are being made by Seymour Duncan.

The point is: both models of the new EVH pick ups are not "left over" pick ups, they are new pick ups being made for EVH Corp by Seymour Duncan. The "relic" version in the Custom Shop and the "clean" version on the production floor.
    I could be wrong, but my guess is this could very well be the fabled pickup Ed tried to sue Seymour Duncan over back in '82 or '83. The article in Guitar Player with Ed and Jas Obrecht had Ed stating that he was producing an almost exact sounding pickup, and he was pissed at SD for just going ahead and selling it and calling it something along the lines as directly approved by Eddie Van Halen. So Ed threatened to sue if the design was not changed and his namesake not removed from all marketing. He changed it a bit and released it with more vague references to the VH name.

These were the days where Ed was always complaining about people copping his technique, graphic designs, and amp and effect choice.
    It's funny cause the reality is that Ed kinda fluked with that pickup to begin with.
    Remember even back to the EBMM days in interviews, he said that when Blucher from Dimarzio read the p/u, his reaction was that technically it should not work properly as a humbucker, because it had a broken winding in one of the coils. Same result at Peavey, and again at Fender. It's always been so weird with Ed and pickups. My guess is that if this is the SD design that Ed had put a stop to, then he may have figured that now that EVH is up and running and he can officially get his chunk of the profit, this is the time to release it officially.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I could be wrong, but my guess is this could very well be the fabled pickup Ed tried to sue Seymour Duncan over back in '82 or '83. The article in Guitar Player with Ed and Jas Obrecht had Ed stating that he was producing an almost exact sounding pickup, and he was pissed at SD for just going ahead and selling it and calling it something along the lines as directly approved by Eddie Van Halen. So Ed threatened to sue if the design was not changed and his namesake not removed from all marketing. He changed it a bit and released it with more vague references to the VH name.

These were the days where Ed was always complaining about people copping his technique, graphic designs, and amp and effect choice.
    It's funny cause the reality is that Ed kinda fluked with that pickup to begin with.
    Remember even back to the EBMM days in interviews, he said that when Blucher from Dimarzio read the p/u, his reaction was that technically it should not work properly as a humbucker, because it had a broken winding in one of the coils. Same result at Peavey, and again at Fender. It's always been so weird with Ed and pickups. My guess is that if this is the SD design that Ed had put a stop to, then he may have figured that now that EVH is up and running and he can officially get his chunk of the profit, this is the time to release it officially.

that was the custom shop '78 model, or 'Evenly Voiced Harmonics' pickup.